Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest ******larry watson******

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr.J, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Larry's Book has now been printed. Larry and Thom Taylor worked together, to finish the book. Thom will have it for sale at the Long Beach show next week. It's about Larrys life and his cars. They had planned two more books about cars he painted and the Hollywood days, but now I'm not sure. Roger

2. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

Thanks for the info Roger.
    i remember when Barris came out with his first book back in the 90's we were going threw it at his shop in Norco and it seemed like he knew every story for each car. i would always tell man you need to get some books out yours would kill this one, i wasn't the only one telling him either but he kept saying no i'm gonna make a video. i sure wish god gave him more time to finish the rest of his books. they would be great reading for a lot of these new kids. by the way has anybody seen anything in the mags about his death. i just got my R&C and all they had in it was a little snippet on Rich passing. i think he earned more then that by the way. and nothing on Larry, or have i missed it.
    One more thing, Roger when you get his museum back up and running please post it cause i would love to come see it. seeing all his pictures again would be like seeing old friends again.

3. CHURCH gave him nice pages,and yeah most the rags havent done much yet..........

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  4. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

kind a chicken shit on there part then

5. Just got HOT ROD in the mail...they did a very small blurb on him,coulda been more,but at least they showed respect

6. Rikster

Rikster

Car Kulture DeLuxe did a two page article on the passing of Larry.
    Unfortunately showing nothing but old material.

But one of the photos they use they must have downloaded from my site.
    The photo is taken by Andy Southard, which I had scanned from one of his book, and was in the Larry Watson folder on my site.
    As always I had given full credit to Andy Southard as the photographer and owner of the copy rights on my site, including a link to where to buy his books.
    But in the CKDL magazine article they give the photo credit to me, and my site!

As a result I received a "CEASE AND DESIST" letter from Andy.

Thank you Car Kulture DeLuxe!

Sorry to be OT a bit... But In case anybody reads the CKDL magazine.. the photos used in the Larry Watson Article are from the Greg Sharp and Andy Southard Collection, and not from me as stated!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  7. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

Rik,I dont get it.

8. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

hey andy if it wasnt for Larry and the rest of these guys you wouldnt have any books so quit being a dick with your letters. guys like Rikster are helping keep it alive and possibly getting some one to buy your book

9. Rikster

Rikster

It can also be ordered online for $30,- plus shipping.

Link to the site

[​IMG]

10. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Thom brought me some copies, while I was at the "Outriders" picnic today. It's great wish Larry was here to sell it. If you bought a poster, T-shirt, or just talked to him he always entertained. Rik thanks fo the link. Roger

11. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

I talked to some guys about the Memorial coverage of Larry. I think in the future there may be some great things written. Roger

12. Just ordered my book!It says only 1000 printed so I didn't wast any time!

13. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Watsons Book is Sold out, The last 30 go on sale at the GNRS today. Roger

14. Greezeball

Greezeball

Any chance of a second printing? Why only 1000? Probably could have sold 5000 easy.

15. dannyogorman

dannyogorman

Very sad. RIP. You will be missed.

16. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Very sorry to hear this. Godspeed Mr. Watson.

Doc.

17. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

GREAT!!! Broke and out of work for a year- now I'm a week too late! Was REALLY looking forward to getting this book! Talked to you Roger at the show about my friend having the yellow '29 Roadster on the wall of pictures.

18. shows avaible when you go to the link above and on Amazon.........Still wish the "Watson style" shirt was avaible maybe a benifit shirt whatever it could be

19. Greezeball

Greezeball

Ya but if you purchase your paypal gets refunded within 24 hrs. I know I tried.

20. crap! I just did..............thanks

21. Deuces

Deuces

I just noticed on the Revell model car site, they have a model of a '58 bird with his paint job on it.. Or something very close to it... Look it up! www.revell.com

22. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

RIP Larry a true credit to the hobby and the world.

23. Deuces

Deuces

It's kit number 85-4280....

24. I had the good fortune of knowing Larry, but only in the last years of his life. My wife used to work at a large department store in Victorville at the fragrance counter, and she used to tell me that a guy named Larry would always stop by and talk to all the ladies. One day, the conversation turned to cars, and my wife told him that her husband was into cars as well, and Larry told her that we would have to meet. I had seen Larry around town but didn't have the nerve to go and talk to him because at the time, I had no idea what his personality was like. We finally met up and hit it off right from the start. What a neat guy. If you ever met Larry, then you know that he really liked to talk about himself, but that was totally OK with me. I went over to his house to check out his museum, and you could tell as soon as you walked in the place that Larry was a very organized, detailed person. The place was perfect, and absolutely nothing was out of place. The display boards were full of hundreds of pictures of paint jobs he did back in the day. If anyone ever wanted to build '50s,'60s, or '70s period-perfect car, then his pictures would be a great source of information. I spent hours looking at those pictures and I was blown away. Knowing Larry's attention to detail, I have to think that back in the day, when you got a Watson paint job you got an incredible work of art. I still laugh when we would talk about paint products, and he would always refer to today's paints as "Communist". He truly loved lacquer and was a master at it.

I'm glad that I had a chance to know one of the customizing legends. RIP, Larry.

25. Wow did I get lucky!! I found the book on ebay,had to pay $40 but who cares! This is with out a doubt a book I am glad to have in my collection and the pics make it worth every dime and then some,great insight to a very cool guy........Thanks for the heads up Roger........

26. GNRS was a month ago.....................book is sold out,might try hunting on EBAY They may have one show up or Amazon........

27. bob-o

bob-o

One year ago today...

Still missed and still respected. Much love to Larry.