Register now to get rid of these ads!

Larry T's 55 Chevy build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Larry T, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Larry, can't you read? All "gassers" MUST have a solid axle and be 4 feet of the ground. What's E.T., the movie about the alien who phoned home? Seriously, cool project. Got any pics of the Sporty up on the JJ?

2. Larry T

Larry T

Chuck & Johnny,
    I really appreciate the feedback, kinda hard for this old man to get real enthused about welding and grinding in 110 degree weather.

Richard D,
    Nope, the Sportster isn't really a Jockey Journal kinda bike. Still got the shocks (lowered), a FatBob tank, and T-Bars. Pretty standard "custom". I've still got it in the shop. He wants it, but I'm gonna put some miles on it before I turn it over to him and I'm not much more enthusiastic about riding in this weather than I am about welding. :)
    Larry T

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  3. lawman

lawman

It sure would be nice if someone produced a kit to install
    a Vega box in a tri-Chevy.I think it would sell.
    It may be good for a light "gasser" but not so good for a
    heavy "Drop top" IMHO. What do you guys and gals think?

4. lawman

lawman

5. Larry T

Larry T

Since I was through with the front for a while, I thought I might make sure everything still fit with the frontend installed.
    Larry T

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  6. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Car looks good Larry.

7. I didn't know you had a build thread goin' for the '55, Larry. I just ran across it (I need to pay better attention). Great fabrication! I hope the engine you ultimately end up with looks something like that mocked-up blown BBC. I love the look of that in a ol' school Five-five!! However, I know that whatever you come up with will be dead on the mark!!!

You da man!

P.S. Whatever you do on this thread, don't mention the Chrisman coupe! :D:D:D:D:D I'm sorry ... I couldn't help it.

8. Larry T

Larry T

Ron & Toby,
    Thanks for the support!
    Toby,
    SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. :) For right now I'm gonna run the street engine out of the Anglia in it. If it's not enough (are they ever?), I'll build something bigger & better.
    Larry T

9. Larry T

Larry T

OK, I moved to the back and figured I'd start on my inner quarters. I've never done much sheetmetal work so it's a learning experience.

First I cut out some templates for the filler pieces. Then I transfered it to 20 gauge. The lower piece had to be flanged on the front and side. I did the side piece on an old HF brake (a friend threw it away because you couldn't slide a piece of metal into it. I cut it apart and reworked it.) and did the front with a couple of pieces of square tubing. I know it's shadetree, but you do what you gotta do. Then I used my "new, never used before" Lancaster shrinker to put a curve in the piece to match the curve on the bottom of the quarterpanel. Shrinkers are pretty neat, I can see where this one might get used a lot.
    Welded it all together, drilled a few holes and bolted it in.

Now I've got to do the otherside. The only problem is with no support on the quarter panels, you can move them in and out about 3 to 4 inches at the wheelwell. I'll have to centerline the car and position the fender and inner fender off the side that's already done.

Probably won't post anymore until I get all that done and get the fenderwells ready to put in.
    Larry T

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  10. AHotRod

AHotRod

Oh Larry :) Are you driving this one yet?

11. Larry T

Larry T

Glenn,
    Sorry to say--no. It's not much farther along than it was.

I, uh, kinda got distracted----------------------again.

In fact, when the Knucklehead came along, the 55 got kicked down from keeper project to For Sale. But that's not to say I won't be working on it again tomorrow. I do have a short attention span.
    Larry T

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  12. JAWS

JAWS

Larry,

I finally found the build on the 55...

I like it.

Thought you were farther along on the knuck!

13. Larry T

Larry T

Jaws,
    I am (a little), that's an old(er) picture. Right now the Knuck is scattered in about 1000 pieces. I'm about done with the frame (except centerstand mounts) and started on the engine, rear fender, wheels, and .......................

Well, the 55 turned into this.

[​IMG]

Kinda hate to see the 55 go, but the good news is that the Shovelhead is a runner (and I don't plan on doing anything but ride it for a while), the bike doesn't take up as much room :D and now I can work on the 47 Knuck, the 48 Anglia, and the 56 big window Ford pickup with a little clearer conscience.

I guess I'll have to come up with a new tag line.

Last edited: May 17, 2013