Register now to get rid of these ads!

Large valve stem caps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by woodiewagon46, May 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I just read about some guy in Street Scene Magazine that had "dice style" caps on his valve stems. At 55 mph one of the hubcaps came off but was held in place buy the cap. Beat the hell out of the side of his car and finally ripped the stem off and caused him to hit the guardrail! I guess the best thing to do is put the oversize caps on when you get to the car show and use normal sized caps when you drive. Thank God we all drive 55!

2. We arent dorky streetrodders :D

3. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I think the best thing to do would be to NEVER run dice for valve stem caps. If you insist on running them make sure you get the plastic Autozone hubcaps while you are there. Those will just disintegrate shortly after they start floppin around. Problem solved.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  4. never cared for dice valve stem caps

get of box of 100 of these for $1.49 at O'Reillys.....part # 17-1492

[​IMG]

5. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Holy craps.

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

There was a time when I ran dice valve stem caps :)o) but kids kept stealing them to put on their bikes. My Son's said if I put them on my current cars they will disown me. :D

Don

7. fsae0607

fsae0607

You read that??? lol j/k

I also prefer plain black caps. IMO flashy valve stem caps are a distraction from your wheel/tire aesthetics.

8. As long as you dont run over your crybaby doll, life is good :D

9. Scumdog

Scumdog

B-O-R-I-N-G!

I use skull valve caps:cool:

10. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

You need 100 valve caps????:eek:

11. edisonfire

edisonfire

^^ Don't you mean holy "caps"? ;)

12. I use dice caps ......... on my Schwinn Stingray! Never on my cars.

Jim

13. lifetime supply

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

The fake peeing dog was all I ever had. :eek::D

Don

15. Model T1

Model T1

Okay disown me! I've always run color co ordinated dice caps. Red on the 55 wagon and yeller on the 41 Ford. Used to have matching dice shifter knobs but they kept coming off.
    It's been proven that dice valve stem caps raise the fuel mileage 2 MPG and increase torque.
    Way back in the dark ages when they were free at gas stations I ran the Red Crown and other types caps. I have never ever heard of anyone having an accident because of faulty valve stem caps. Keep this quiet or they will be outlawed.

16. Fenders

Fenders

I got them there black plain caps, does that mean my wheels have aesthetics? :)

Attached Files:

17. Some more tire stuff from my years in the business.

The sealing metal valve cap is the PRIMARY method for sealing off the valve stem, and preventing air loss.

The valve core is the means to check air pressure and inflate the tire without major air loss, which is the purpose of the spring loaded seal.

A hi-temp, metal valve cap, with a proper internal seal, will seal off the stem, and maintain air pressure, WITHOUT using a core.

Plastic caps, unless they have a gasket, are useless except as dust caps, and will not stand up to retightening repeatedly.

18. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

I run dice valve stem caps...On my mountain bike. NOT on cars.

I actually had that problem about 10 years ago when I was in high school. One night while driving a lowered shoebox that I used to drive, had one of my fiesta caps come off on the back and do the flop around and fuck shit up thing like mentioned above. Actually found the hubcap in a field about 6 months later beat to shit and matching my wheel well. No more huge valve caps for me. They are kind of a lame thing like fuzzy dice or cry baby dolls anyway.

19. metalshapes

metalshapes

What he said...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.