Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Lap Belt Install

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tom Noller, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Tom Noller

Tom Noller
    from Iowa

Guys - Is there a preferred side for the belt's lift latch? Does it really make a difference? Thanks!

2. RMONTY

RMONTY

I just wasted 30 seconds of my life....

3. Z06-LITE

Z06-LITE

I have both my lift latches to the center of the seat. Just looks better in my opinion. Which ever way works for you will be the best choice.

4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I don't think it matters much.

5. Tom Noller

Tom Noller
    from Iowa

Thanks for the help. Sorry to ask a dumb question.

6. Have them so the loose pull tab goes to inside of car, or to put it in terms of the latch, it is on the inside part mounted near the center, and the insert is mounted on the outside (near rockers) of the car.

tractorguy likes this.
  7. BJR

BJR

Since all the new cars with the shoulder harness have the latch to the center of the car, it would be more natural for everyone to use if the lap belt was the same.

8. RMONTY

RMONTY

My apologies....no insult meant.... I was just expecting a question on how to mount seat belts, not which is the preferred side for the latch....or maybe some pictures posted of a clever install.....:confused:

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

On lap belts the catch is usually attached to the non adjustable short belt - usually place this on door opening side so the belt stays in car out of way when door is opened

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  10. Gman0046

Gman0046

I recently bought seat belts for my 63 Impala from Seatbelt Planet who state the belts buckle should be at the outboard hip.

Gary

11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tom, on my latching race belts I have the male side on the left. For me it makes it easier to put the 2 shoulder, crotch, and arm restraints on that side. Both sides are adjustable by pulling up.
    The best stock lap belt I ever was on my 69 Chevrolet pickup. The left side was a set height in a plastic cover and was the female side. The male part was on the right side and adjustable, I left it forward on the seat. It was always ez to attach and the latch was just lower than my left hip.

12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

What part is the buckle. On all cars, from the factory. , the male part goes on the outboard side of a vehicle. The female goes on the inboard side. Airplanes are the same way.

loudbang and lurker mick like this.
  13. Leakie

Leakie

Mount them the way it makes the most sense for your setup.

firstinsteele likes this.
  14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You read slow.

I'd day if you are right handed put the release on the right. In am accident, you wan the release where you don't have to think about it to escape the vehicle.

Slow day.

15. That would be with both latches in the middle position as anyone who has been in a car and used a seatbelt is use to that configuration regardless of what their dominant hand is.

16. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I wouldn't want to unlatch a belt and have the female end flying at the door while I'm exiting. I'd imagine it could scratch and dent along with hang outside the cab much easier.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

It does not matter which side that you place anything on. Because the automakers do it, it doesn't mean that anyone has to follow suit. Do what works best for you.

18. I will face the belt installation issue later once I get the car running but have given it substantial thought. My conclusions differ greatly from most interior pictures I've seen with lengthy unsightly non-color matching belts cluttering the front seats. Most all requiring somewhat difficult 2 handed clasping. In the absence of airbags I understand pure lap belts can be more dangerous than nothing (having survived 2 rear-ender collision rollovers at speed in non-belt pre-bag equipped cars.) Plus I desire the ability to fasten the driver's belt with one hand! That just isn't possible with loose long lap belts.

Predicated on whether I can easily access my B pillar without damage - as my car came with a super interior which I'm reluctant to mess with, I will put shoulder belts in the front. Anchoring the retractable inertia wheel adjustable tensioner at door floor, belt then runs up to the pillar-loop roughly level with the top of seat. This holds the clasp tongue of the belt at a handy height for a one-hand grab upon entering.

And I want stiff short center stalk receiver clasp, either cable type or belt with a rigid plastic tube keeping it positioned for easy one handed clasping. That short stalk will be anchored behind the bench at rear floor near tunnel and proceed up through back of front bench to the seat front at my hip terminating at the receiver clasp.

I don't expect anyone to do what I'm doing but hope I've provided enough of a mental picture to give you some things to consider. You are installing belts for purpose of saving pain down the road. Don't screw things up by trying to save money. Last important consideration is choosing the type of clasp. Big personal differences here. What you've become accustomed to in your present car may not be ideal. I intend to spend a day roaming used car lots buckling myself into many different cars paying attention to such things as comfortable height for belt on my shoulder and the clasp type, how easy it is to fasten and undo. Last last thought, 2 laps in the back to accommodate a reverse facing car seat. Sorry for the book but it's cold out.

19. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Don`t forget about the D-rings for the new style car seats for the youngsters in the back. .

20. kma4444

kma4444

Unless it's a Viper, they are the opposite. I'm obviously being argumentative.

21. RYAN.RYAN...the inmates are on the loose again.

TagMan likes this.
  22. OK I didn't know the term D-ring which apparently is the upper belt anchor. As I understand, these older cars are exempt from the belt requirement so if I choose to only have simple lap belts in the rear I'm ok with my conscience with rear passengers having the same protection against flying in a rear-ender as if they were in the rear of a bus or taxi. The driver gets more protection as there's always a driver but rarely a rear passenger. Life is playing the odds.

I prefer to place emphasis upon a super LED 3rd brake light and haven't figured out how to handle that yet. Fate has me rear ended too often, first time at 17yo. Been T-boned left and right side, so far no front end - I avoid hitting things.

23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The D-Ring`s are mounted on the floor. between the rear seat back and rear seat bottom. All newer cars have them for the current style car seats for little kids. Along with the seatbelts.

24. Gman0046

Gman0046

Manufacture's of seat belts make the belt next to the door the short one with the female end so the buckle is at the hip level. Having the door belt longer so the buckle meets in the center allows for a greater possibility of the buckle falling outing damaging paint on the door or rocker panel. Could the reason also be less trauma to internal organs then a middle of the stomach buckle assembly?

Gary

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017