Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Lame power plants.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stubbsrodandcustom, Feb 1, 2016.

1. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Love the sound too!

Attached Files:

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Traditionally inspired_works for me and others that appreciate it. Credit to original builder...Cannot please the world. It is what it is ;).

Trad_insp.jpg

3. MengesTwinCustoms

MengesTwinCustoms

Because a Hemi is the only gas engine that I will run in a personal vehicle!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454392061.704815.jpg

4. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

If there was a HAMB in 1954
    Gee Whiz ! While at the Armory Dance I look around, love to see all the cats hard work and beautiful roadsters, coupes and sedans.
    If I had a nickle for every car at the shows down here I have seen with a Ford Mill and 1939 Top shift under the hood with the same intake, and carbs, I could buy a complete car done by some big shop and still have gas money. Now the Rocket 88 motor seems to be the new bandwagon motor. I here tell Chevy working on a V8, maybe that mill will give us some more variety.
    So show me what your running and tell why you picked it. No Square Nowheresville power plants, and even if you got a Ford Mill that looks cool show it off.

5. My SBC started as a 283 and is now a 301. I built it in 83 with the usual Cal Custom alloy bits so I gave it a more traditional look ( the yellow lead still to go) when I put it in my 26 T......it goes very well. JW
    [​IMG]

Baumi likes this.
  6. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

Well here`s mine, V8 60 Not a lot of horsepower, but a lot of fun.
    motor 2.JPG

011.JPG

Heavy Rebel 4.jpg

7. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

And another one, `64 Studebaker Avanti supercharged 289. 033.JPG

8. wex65

wex65
    from WV

For perspective, the 2016 AMBR winner is a Brookville bodied 32 running a smallblock but I doubt many would bad mouth it. As someone said in an earlier post, all about how you dress it...
    AMBR.jpg

Born a HotRodGal and D-Russ like this.
  9. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Where does my Dart engine fit in, looks like a sbc but its not. It does have some Chevy parts on it though, the carbs. DSCN2651.JPG

loudbang, Tn. Trash and i.rant like this.
  10. Lew031

Lew031
    from Pittsburgh

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454412279.486592.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1454412287.878670.jpg
    My Olds powered A and my Banger
    powered A
    Still don't dislike a good running Sbc just like seeing so something different now and then

11. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Care to retract your statement?
    And I'm not going for 50s traditional anyways.
    And this post wasn't about me sir.

[​IMG]

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  12. LAROKE

LAROKE

'56 GMC 302 in my '37 (currently torn down for a head gasket)

[​IMG]

Original Stovebolt 235 in my '55 (currently in mock up for next build)

[​IMG]

13. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

FE Ford engine in my 59 Edsel. Started life as a 361 but now is 401 cubes. 002.JPG

loudbang, bedwards, afaulk and 5 others like this.
  14. 26 roadster

26 roadster

all my sbc, bbc, sbf and Buicks are too new to be on here, post 64

15. I stuck this old motor in my truck because it had been lying around in my garage for years and I didn't have anything else to put in it. I think its a Chevy...

Attached Files:

16. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

For the discriminating hot rodder, it's always been about go rather than show. Let's face it, most hot rodders are somewhat cheap. I think that hearkens back to the days when the middle class kid built a car or repaired an old jalopy from his allowance, paper money or sacking groceries. Too it could be the young married man that kept a old beater going to put food on the table. This requires a cheap or at least economical car or engine choice. One with a good cash to power ratio....what's more traditional than that?

The Ford V8 in it's day was the economical choice, Hell, it's a Ford. In that time Ford was the V8. For a little over 2 decades and beyond the Ford was cheap and the junkyards were full. Olds, Cadillac, Pontiac, Buick, and Chrysler V8 cars were a step up the socioeconomic ladder. Ford's competition has always been Chevy. GM simply copied Ford's Depression Era idea, of every-man's V8 with the introduction of the Chevrolet 265 in 1955. This design was proven with the Olds Rocket(Oldsmobile was the experimental brand) and tweaked for the flagship Chevy. This engine eventually became the every-mans V8 like it or not.

There's an old saying,
    Many of leaned to dance with the venerable Small block Chevrolet.

I'm a Ford guy but you have have a degree in Ford's to work on them. 352, 351W, 351M,351C are all completely different families and all were made about the same time. Chevy from the six to the Bigblock all will swap easily. The bottom line Chevy's are a lot less of a pain in the ass to adapt.

As I said hot rodders are cheap. The guy building car that costs 50 grand will choose the Chevy, because it's 300 bucks cheaper to build.

Remember, It's 2016 and even the old mouse motor is getting long in the tooth. I would much rather see a 350/350 rather than some of this hybrid or green crap.

One last thought about this show stuff......A good friend of mine is a Ford nut, I mean the guy is insane. He built a 55 Ford sedan with 312 and toploader. His goal was to build a Chevy eater. He spent thousands on this engine. Dual quads, Isky custom grind, custom headers...you name it . It was a full race Y Block, a bad dude. The first Cruise In this fellow takes that hot Ford to he was chastised by these "Ford guys" for putting Chevy in a Ford car. You see all Fords are supposed to be blue and have the distributor in front. Most everybody else said "Nice 350!":rolleyes:

JB_roadrage and redo32 like this.
  17. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

artsy fartsy but you get the idea. Stroker Ford big block - blown and on the hose. Torque for days.
    [​IMG]

18. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some times it is what you make of it. The Austin's power plant was a an extremely lame oval port 454 from a 1 ton Chevy truck. Nothing money and time can't fix! 20160129_064825.jpeg

Tn. Trash and volvobrynk like this.
  19. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know he can work on it without opening the hood! LOL

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

So much butt hurt in one thread... lol

loudbang likes this.
  21. raidmagic

raidmagic

Here's my ultra lame 350, suck it.

[​IMG]

Tn. Trash likes this.
  22. Just like many other things, lame is in the eye of the beholder.

wicarnut likes this.
  23. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I'll be willing to bet the SBC has won more races than any other engine...

hipster and volvobrynk like this.
  24. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

And is the engine that has been put in to most cars around!

But it's possible to like them without loving them. its possible to run them without ever being nice to one. But it ain't the the only engine around.

There will always be SBC lovers and haters.
    But there Will always be viable choices.
    Just to name a few; nailhead, baby nailhead, olds rocket, Y - block ford, LA Mopar and the red ram.
    And then there is big block of every brand known to man.

michael knight likes this.
  25. Here's a picture of my "lame" belly button SBC in the '32...

IMG_4205 - Copy.JPG

Donald A. Smith and Tn. Trash like this.
  26. afaulk

afaulk

Lame? Not to me. I'm liking the satin finish/less chrome look. I've seen enough chrome to make me tired.

Attached Files:

• 078.JPG
      078.JPG
      File size:
      223.2 KB
      Views:
    hipster and Donald A. Smith like this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is it traditionally inspired...in other words does it look pre 64ish. The HAMB forum is for inspired so if it looks period please post...;) Traditional forum is for spot on period correct to a 'T'...hope this helps.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  28. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

engine - drivers side.JPG Hi. Well my thoughts is it does not have to be a small or large block V8 of any kind to be a great engine. Because it is not one of those does not make it lame either. Mine is a tricked out 1957 Chevy 235 with lots of internal & external goodies in my 46 Chevy Coupe. Bet you do not see many of these at all the shows you go to. Most shows I go to this is the ONLY inline 6 there. Most shows have so many cars with almost identical tricked out V8's that they are HO HUM to me - everybody has them - mostly except me. Just because it is a tricked out inline 6 does not make it lame. It is much more unusual than the V8's & it really draws great comments from the public mostly because it brings back the memories of THEIR youth, not of today's youth.
    My thoughts for what it's worth.
    Jimmie

i.rant, BradinNC, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  29. williebill

williebill

The HAMB needs one of these threads from time to time, and that's OK, I love cool engine pics. We all do this shit for different reasons, usually not cause we're picking the easiest path. I personally don't give a damn what engine you run, as long as it's cool. I'm queer for Y blocks and nailheads, but I really don't know what I'm doing most of the time, I just like 'em.
    So let's meet back here on this thread in 6 months, see more cool engines, and do the repeat bitching thing, OK?

30. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I like your choice of engine. Different AND cool .

michael knight and volvobrynk like this.