Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Lakes pictures. P.R.C.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by woodiemike, Sep 19, 2014.

1. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

Wow, I can't thank you enough for posting these pictures. This is great history. Please keep em coming.

Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  2. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Man! It just keeps getting better. Thank you a thousand times for this.

"Listen Mr... It ain't broke if I can't fix it"

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  3. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Sorry, accidental second post just now.

Stogy likes this.
  4. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

I think that some others will agree that it just don't get more bitchiner than this.

Stogy and 49ratfink like this.
  5. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Thank you for all of this effort, Mike!!

Stogy likes this.
  6. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

THANK YOU MIKE! Truley one of the BEST threads going. More, more, more!

7. Thanks for sharing, Mike! The 40's were hot-rodding's golden years IMO.

Stogy likes this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh my, this has to go down as one of the great all times HAMB threads. Thanks for sharing the great photos and info with us. I'd imagine that a lot of those photos will get studied for hours on end.

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

A real treasure trove. Thanks for sharing this stuff!

Stogy likes this.
  10. Mart

Mart

Great pictures. Thanks for taking the time to rescan them.

Mart.

Stogy likes this.
  11. loudbang

loudbang

Have your granddaughter click the "Post all as full size" button. :)

Stogy likes this.
  12. Nobey

Nobey

Up at five in the morning and I find this. What a way to start the day.
    Thanks Mike for your photos and stories.

13. Best Intro of the year... great pics

Stogy likes this.
  14. A real hot rod history treasure! As much as I appreciate seeing them here, they should really be preserved for posterity through being publishing in a book, or an article in TRJ. Wonderful stuff.

15. quidnunc

quidnunc
    from pittsburgh

Thanks for posting these. I don't consider myself a historian or an expert on this stuff but from someone who has tried digging up info on old dry lakes/Bonneville cars (see my previous posts) this type of thing is invaluable. Everyone on here that has old pictures laying about should take a lesson from this. This information needs to be preserved. Keep 'em coming.

16. So neat seeing these pics and and reading the history behind them. I fear that with the electronic age preservation of today's similar items will not be as coveted or permanently recorded in personal archives like this. Yes everyone takes pics and saves them on hard drives, computers, etc... I seriously question today's longevity in preservation. Hopefully I am wrong.

Still keep what you have coming! AWESOME stuff!

17. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

scan0023.jpg scan0023.jpg scan0024.jpg scan0014.jpg View attachment 2722540 View attachment 2722540 scan0023.jpg scan0024.jpg Again...thank you to all that have sent feedback!! I am so glad to see that I am touching so many! As long as you are interested, than I will keep posting away. Thank you to loudbang for cluing me in on the "post all as full size". My Grand Daughter just mite think I'm worth saving after all!! HA! Who said you can't teach a old dog new tricks!! I need all the help I can get. One of the things I'll always remember my Dad telling me, was how they used to drive [yes drive] some of these cars to El Mirage to run them! Now this was a 2/3 hour drive one way! They would get there early, sleep on the ground, in cars, wherever they could. In the morning they would start stripping everything they could off the cars to get the weight off. Lights, seats, bumpers, etc. After the meet, they would put everything back on and drive 2/3 hours back to Pasadena! When men were men!! So here ya are, I'm sending more for your enjoyment. Check out #250 B. Are those "OSHA" approved rocks holding that car? Just wondering.... I really love to hear you comments! Keep em' comin". scan0014.jpg View attachment 2722540 scan0023.jpg scan0024.jpg

18. Keep them coming this is great stuff.

Stogy likes this.
  19. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK Boys and Girls. Here is a page out of the History book. Enjoy!!!

IMG_1043a.JPG scan0022.jpg scan0021.jpg scan0024.jpg scan0020.jpg

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  20. firingorder1

firingorder1

[​IMG]
    Amazing!, fantastic!, stunning! Throw any superlative out and it doesn't seem good enough. What did tickle me was the photo album. I have been doing the same thing for a few years now. I have an El Mirage album and a Bonneville album. Why? All too soon all my efforts will be nothing more than memories. Your memories are something we can all enjoy and rather than imagine what it was like we can see what it was like. And suffer a bout of jealousy.

[​IMG]

21. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

If this stuff don't bring up some swelling of your eyes, you don't get the hot rod thing. Fantastic stuff. Jack

Stogy and Ranchero59 like this.
  22. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the Feedback. I really hope that you continue to preserve all that you are doing today, so that your Children, Grandchildren, and all your Family can enjoy them also. And hopefully many more. I thank my Mother and Father daily for the wonderful gift that they have bestowed on me, and my family. And as some of you have said, we hope this will inspire more to dig out the old photos for all to see. It really does no purpose to just sit in a draw, or closet and collect dust. History, no matter what kind, is meant to be enjoyed by all. As I said before, I can only hope I am doing a small part. Thank's again! And keep checking in...plenty more to come.

23. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Before I get to far down the "proverbial" l want to post the program that had Elmer Omohundro's time in it that my Mom had written. The one that matched is timing tag. Car # 390. Also want to throw in one from April 24/25, 1948 that my Dad and his brother are in. His name is Wilmer McNatt #372, and his Brother is Glenn #371. There is also a page out of the same program that has the duties of all the clubs to do at the meet. I think it's interesting to see how many club's there were. Again, I hope you enjoy.

scan0026.jpg scan0025.jpg scan0029.jpg scan0027.jpg scan0028.jpg

24. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

View attachment 2723776 Another couple of pages for ya. Some are not the best quality....but considering with what they had to work with! IMG_1047.JPG scan0030.jpg scan0031.jpg scan0032.jpg IMG_1048.JPG scan0033.jpg scan0034.jpg

25. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry....try this page again! I'm not good at standing on my head!

IMG_1049.JPG

63fdsnr, Okie Pete, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  26. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

27. This is the best thread I have seen on the hamb. Please keep the pics coming and thank you for posting them!!!

Stogy likes this.
  28. firingorder1

firingorder1

By far and away the best thread on here. The photos and information make you feel like you were there. It gives those of us who were are too young a sense of what dry lakes racing is all about. Home brewed racers. Thanks again and if you have more please post them.

29. wow that bellhousing sure looks sorry for itselfs!

Stogy likes this.
  30. Nobey

Nobey

Man thats a nice Cad powered 32 with a open frame windshield, and a cuttie to boot.
    Then the little T that ran 110 with a 21 stud and what looks like a Thickston manifold.
    The big tires on the rear make the Kelsey wheels look small. You know you're killing
    us with this stuff Mike. Thank you and keep er going!!!