Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lady speedway Burford info please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 80WTI, Jul 17, 2013.

1. 80WTI

80WTI

Hi my name is lee,

my wife and i purchased a microphone last year at the Bakersfield hot rod reunion and are trying to find out any info on it, any info would be much appreciated as i have tried searching to no avail. thanks lee
    [​IMG]

2. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

That mic is very cool. Did you buy the "Wally" too?

3. I think what they're looking for is info on the track it apparently came from.

I wonder if Buford was the name of the track announcer or something.

4. Leviman

Leviman

Looks like a silver eagle mic. Common for CB radio. As for the track, no idea.

5. 80WTI

80WTI

I purchased the wally about a year ago on ebay, i didn't see any at the swapmeets when i was there.

6. 80WTI

80WTI

I was just wondering is there a track by the name of Lady speedway and maybe a small town by the name of Burford, i know there is a track named lady luck but i think it is in Texas. The person we purchased it from couldn't tell us much but we thought it looked to cool to leave it behind.
    Hopefully someone out their in HAMB land will have the answers or might have race at the track that it was used at.
    thanks guys. lee

7. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

I took a quick look through Allan Brown's History of the American Speedway this morning but like you I had no luck. I wonder though does it really say "Speedway Lady" as opposed to "Lady Speedway". Perhaps a female announcer? Just a thought.

The car also should give some clue. It appears to be a pavement supermodified and that may narrow down where the track was. I will keep looking but like most good mysteries on the HAMB someone will know of this tracks existence.

Nice find, it will look great on the display shelf.

8. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

C B radio base station microphone. ....
    Lady speedway = CB handle ?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. five-oh

five-oh
    from Arkansas
    1. HAMB Old Farts' Club

Yep, a D 104 cb base mic. Back when I was cb radioing, most of the " Big Guns" wives took their "handle" from their husband. Thus, this mic was probably used by "Speedway" and the wife of "Speedway". Id imagine it has zero connections to an actual speedway..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

I would not have thought of it that way since he was talking like it had come from an announcer, good thought. Might be easier to find who the owner was of that mic.

11. 80WTI

80WTI

Thanks guys,
    I thought it would of been an easy search as it had all the sign writing on the base and thought would be a speedway item with the picture of the car but things aren't always what they seem as every search i have tried has come up empty to a "lady speedway" or any speedway's in any towns called Burford,
    first i thought it might be England or maybe even Burford Ontario Canada but no luck.

Once again thankyou everyone with helping out with any info, That's what i love about this site.
    cheers lee

12. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

Just cows in that town.....lol