Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ladder Bar Length Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by grovedawg, Oct 19, 2010.

1. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

I'm mocking up my rear axle and a possible solution for placing my ladder bars where I'd like them to be would require shortening them about 8 inches. Right now they measure 32". I'd cut them down to 24". Is that a step in the wrong direction or will it not affect the handling too much?

2. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

What I was Taught the longer the better and Keep as close together as you can in the front .My A on 32 rails are set up the way your describing....Ladder or radius rods I might of jumped the gun on my post .Im talking radius rods

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Longer is better, and a panhard is also a must unless you bring the front close together to triangulate them.

4. I don't think I would shorten them up, especially that much.

5. They'll still need a track locator or panhard bar if the front joints are close together. The don't behave like a triangulated four-link, which doesn't require a locator.

6. Short ladder bars don't let your suspension articulate as much. Long bars don't articulate much to start with and the shorter you get the tighter your arc when the suspension works.

Does that make any sense?

7. Andy

Andy

It will drive funny. 32 is really the minimum and at that length they don't work well. They must be angled in so they are mounted close together. Do not try running they straight ahead to the frame rails. I have used bars shorter than 32 in long mounted to the frame rails but free to pivot on both ends. The torque wrap up of the rear is taken by a central torque arm like a Camero. These can be mounted right next to the driveshaft so take up no room.

8. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

Thanks for your responses. I"m going to try and figure out a mounting position that will maintain the full 32" length. Does the length of the panhard bar matter as well? Or where I mount it?

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Ladder bars will behave much the same as 'radius rods' and should have their front pivot as near as possible to the front u-joint pivot point. A panhard bar also should be as long as possible to minimize sideways movement of the axle on spring deflection....which a short bar will cause and is the very thing it is intended to prevent!

The panhard bar should also be parallel to the ground when the weight of the vehicle is on the springs. A Watts Link is even better as it eliminates any sideway movement.

Ray

10. what spring ? coil over? original buggy? which car?