Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lack of Diversity on the HAMB?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by 5window, Apr 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 5window

5window

No, not that. And, not a complaint in any way. Just some curious facts. Logging in just now, there are 30 threads listed on page 1 and almost 17% of them are ones started by HOTRODPRIMER. I think we all love, or at least appreciate, the great contributions HRP makes to this site, but isn't he carrying a lot of the load himself? Along with that, only 20% of the current viewers are actually members. Again, that's kind of great, because new folks are attracted to the site, but it is curious that more of us aren't around.
    I 'm not sure where I am really going with this, just seemed a bit odd and got me wondering what others might think. As for me, I'm going back to check out some of the interesting questions, HRP has put up.

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I fail to see what your motivation is for starting this thread unless it's just to start something. Some people have more to offer than others - so what ?

flatford39 and Flathead Dave like this.
  3. F&J

F&J

I am pretty sure he likes HRP's efforts..I believe he wants to know WHY others are not also putting up good stuff?

my experience of late, below:

I put up a lot of pics lately... local scenic travels, lots of detailed ,local history talk, ..with as f'n olds powered traditional 32...and no comments...not a single fucking one!...I show places to see, whatever...why waste my time? I won't anymore...rather be out driving...

then read about alternators and elecrtric fans here with dozens of replies???

4. Well after being here for almost 15 years and being a rocking chair rider I've learned most of what I know and or do don't seem to fit with the Young know it all's so I just wait till I can add something worth while and don't reply to things that don't really make any difference. I made an exception on this post being I just didn't have anything else to do. I mean really we've covered nearly everything that has to do with building anything be it Right or Wrong but the new guys just don't know how to use the Search feature. I got tired of pointing that out to them and I only type with 2 fingers so I'm mostly quite. I didn't reply on the electric fan post because I Hate the G.D. Things.
    The Wizzard

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Everyone has different likes or reasons to participate.

Starting threads and manning them is time and a fair number here are juggling with that. Pic editing, answering and thinking of interesting content takes alot of time...

Some are veterans of written conversation and have the gift to do all...no disrespect intended.

Some have been flamed into being observers.

Others fear.

Others like following the flow and perhaps feel they have more to add in advice and comradery.

Not all are technically savvy...I often reach out and help in these situations.

There is thousands of already interesting threads to bring back and add to. I enjoy that myself.

Starting content has always been tricky...darn near everything has been discussed here its very overwhelming sometimes.

Ryan understands the niche situation going on here. I think all is good except I am troubled sometimes by the lack of respect to the 3 main platforms as they are all part of the evolution of what the Hamb celebrates.

These are just some of my immediate thoughts but overall I think seasons effect posting and there are an infinite number of reasons but to me all seems to be evolving as no other Hotrod/Custom/Race site offers. The Hamb Rocks...;)

6. F&J

F&J

I was "all crabby" until I read that... :D

one thing that is clearer to me now, after getting zero replies lately? I also tried to show cool trips and a build on FB too, late last summer.. you simply cannot get people to experience what you are feeling when you are the one doing it... I called them all, "the walking deads"... Sit at the TV watching jackassed shows and news that makes them messed up..

I took the 32 out late today to pick up just one simple thing at a store, and as I went out to leave in the car, I felt my pocket...no camera? Fuck it.. I went without......then I am gone for 1.5 hours...met lots more people....this time I watched closely for thumbs up in those dark modern cars/trucks passing by...tons of them did.. there is my answer..

I have absolutely no clue what they want HERE. I will live here in my local world and not give a shit about the rest of the world..sad to say that, but reality sunk in today, bigtime.

7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

My thoughts....I have become addicted to this site more so in the now where I have to check in a few times per day. I look forward to interesting tech and learning new tips and tricks and the old school ways. The humor gives me a good laugh or two. HRP I assume is rich with time relating to how much he posts on this site. While I gloss past his post that are not tech related only because I can personally want knowledge, I only post an answer if someone has asked for an opinion or if I am positive with what I can add. I just like to read and learn. :)

HOTRODPRIMER, F&J, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  8. Wraith

Wraith
    from DFW

Gonna jump in as a member but not owning anything that will fit the boards rules. I am a member of many forums across several automotive styles/marques/brands and would probably be considered a young'un.

The amount of knowledge on this site is amazing. The only thing that may overshadow that is the abilities of it's members.
    There is more here to be learned than any other site I have been on.
    Ever.
    I can watch a thread on an alcohol/blown/hemi certified car or a thread on someone that found a car in the woods and is doing a full restore. I can see either thread with people offering services or free parts, there is more camaraderie here than almost any forum I am on.

The one thing that mildly irks me is that everyone seems to have to fit in a box. You have to build a custom the way that the forum dictates or you are stuck to the HAMB. You have to build your hot rod the way the forum dictates or off to the HAMB. While I appreciate those that stick to the traditional ways but that can be a turn off to those that are using current technology to build "their" car. I would have to think that this sites highest traffic would be made by one person more than others and that would probably come in the most liberal forum.
    I look at it the same way that I guess the much hated Goodguys has done, at some point if you don't change the "rules" the old ways will fade away. I look forward to my non-acceptable car here can go to a show and is finally included in some sort of "group" which is what hot-rodding has always been about. At least for me.

9. F&J; If I've learned anything at all in my many years of doing this Hot Rod thing it's this. If your doing this for anyone but yourself your missing the point and your going to be disappointed. If you care what others think about your project your going to get your feelings hurt. If you feel the need to exploit your opinion as to how someone else should have built there project your a disappointment to the rest of us. If you think owning and driving a Specific brand or year of anything makes you special your arrigant and full of yourself. Those kind of Car Owners are easy to spot, they generally have a dust rag in there hand and don't know what end of the screw driver is the handle. There's room for all of us here. Sometimes it takes a while to decide how the H.A.M.B. actually works for us and where we fit but once you get it you can't beat it. It's much better than an actual Car Club.
    The Wizzard

10. Piledrivin'Joe

Piledrivin'Joe

You’re one of the guys whose posts I especially take notice of. I’ve learned a lot from you over the years, along with Atwater Mike, the retired shop teachers, the Oklahoma guys... too many to list. Point is, please keep posting. Even if you’ve said it before, even if some know-it-all argued with you - you should know that there are a lot of guys like me who genuinely appreciate it, even if there isn’t a follow up comment telling you so. You can’t see us nodding our heads and taking notes!

11. desotot

desotot

I'm guilty of not posting as much as I used to. I could blame photobucket for screwing up my past contributions but I did figure out how to post pics here again.I shall try to improve my performance around this joint.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I admin on another site. We have just over 17,000 members. My guess is that there are 200-250 people doing 90% of the posting there.

This site? Some are just lurkers, some are probably scared away by the reputation of the HAMB flaming posters on a fairly regular basis, some don't feel they have anything to share. It's like any group of people. Introverts, extroverts and somewhat interested bystanders.

JMO,
    SPark

13. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Maybe because I don't want to. If HRP wants to post he can do it. If others want to post then maybe they will.

My guess is that because we need to have thick skins and a sense of humor everytime something is posted so maybe some are turned off at the idea. Some people on here, if not most, have never met in person and only know of others here via their posts and don't want to be called out for a mistake or something said to look silly.

I get your point but no one here gets a participation trophy for picking dandilions in the field and bringing them to the snack bar....

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    HOTRODPRIMER, robracer1 and partsdawg like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The saving grace in that box you describe is it is absolutely huge in diversity and the band of time involved is quite large as well and maybe you will add to your physical interests at some point with something that does fit here.

I say that because many things here capture your interest by your own account.

I have many years on you but never experienced the Hotrod/Custom thing like many here did so I consider myself a torch carrier in my own way...and carry it proudly...till death do us part...Adjustments still happen here and that Door/Window is governed and respected...

Another young'un just not as young'un as you...;)

HOTRODPRIMER, USMercUte and hrm2k like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@5window I have read your post several times and your last part of your statement is somewhat suggesting that the other content presented by the rest of the membership is not up to par or interesting...I do not agree. That is your opinion...

You are correct there is a measurement of certain elements of activity. The load is carried by all here and that has no bearing on diversity of content.

The literary, educational and visual content supporting the relevant content is huge and full of incredible variety.

Thanks to the complete membership for keeping this place interesting...it is not a one man/woman show ever...

16. 392

Oh shit. o_O

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. clem

clem

This......

HOTRODPRIMER and crminal like this.
  18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Is there a problem officer?

19. No problem, just move along.....

20. WTF really

WTF really

And I was afraid I ask to many questions.

HOTRODPRIMER and F&J like this.
  21. Is it Christmas already?:confused:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. Deuces

Deuces

Can't we all just get along???.... :)

23. Oilguy

Oilguy

I love this site but can't contribute much as my cars aren't considered traditional. I have a ton of old drag strip photos but can't post as they are from the late 60's, early 70's. But I am hooked. I have been sitting here reading for an hour this morning and I am still on page 1.

HOTRODPRIMER and Bubba1955 like this.
  24. Deuces

Deuces

Me 2.... :)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. LAROKE

LAROKE

26. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I noticed a shot about alternators so I decided to jump in.
    When I first came here 11 years ago, it was to learn about traditional hot rods and customs. In a post, someone mentioned that this is really almost like paying tribute to the guys who did it in the time frame that we are replicating. I have kept that thought in almost every change I made to the coupe. I also made sure the parts i was using were correct for the period. Sadly, that coupe has moved on.
    The day I bought my coupe from Clark Bates, I remember telling him how I wanted to do disc brakes and radial tires and all kinds of other stuff to the coupe. It was a wonder he sold it to me. I did make a lot of changes to the coupe but they all ended up fitting the outlay of this board. I ended up with a traditional hot rod but more important, I got to see what it was like back in the day when it was first done...............bias ply tires, drum brakes, generator, three deuces. Driving that coupe was a true hot rod experience. You would never learn to enjoy that feeling with all the new equipment in an old car.
    Had it not been for the HAMB, I know I would have never had that experience. I would have never learned how to do stromberg carbs and generator rebuilds on the side of the road. To me, that is part of the adventure.
    HRP is a traditional hot rod guy and gets what the board is all about.

27. F&J

F&J

That is what I was just thinking when I saw WTF really's avatar.. and NOT the carb she is carrying! Yea, you think I am a dirty old man? I recall YOU put up the BEST butt a couple of years ago...some local cruise out there on the rich, snooty side of Connecticut,...some chick wiping down a "Camero"< Hamb spellin" LOL ...good lord, bendin' over... she sure was first in line when they handed out cute butts!!

Hey Deuces, STFU.. you A.H.!!........just kidding... I see you were gone from here for a few years... I do recall you always pissed and moaned about only having "web TV" back then to get online... Finally got on State low income funding?, and got a better "device" or what? LOL..

hey, fuck this... the sun is out...and warming up!! I reckon I will get the hotrod out today AGAIN....like yesterday...The UConn college girls will "shed some sweaters today"...and.... :) .. it's just minutes away!
    100_3170.JPG
    ^^ the "horsebarn hill"...in case you want to meet up...to ...um...er...come sightseeing.. pic below shows my car on a chilly day a couple days ago.. not many up there that day, ....behind the car, is the hill...hurry up, they will be all gone for the summer very soon..
    100_3207.JPG

<<< THE Staff needs to put that perfect thought in the intro section... It is the best sentence I have evere seen here! and it is So True!!!

28. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, I got a smart phone.... :)
    It's funny you still remember about the web TV thing... Wish I still had it... Microsoft shut us down.... :( Then I got called back to work and gave this sight a break..... But I'm back!..... :D:confused::D:rolleyes:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. Well I never submit anything of value. I do have a thread or two out there and I have found that even if I posted that everyone who said hi could have a free ounce of gold no one would say hi. :rolleyes: :D

30. Deuces

Deuces

Hi Beaner.... :rolleyes::);)

HOTRODPRIMER, Stogy and Oilguy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.