Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lace Paint Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1OFNONE, May 26, 2011.

1. 1OFNONE

1OFNONE
    from Nebraska

I am going to shoot some lace on the top of my old pickup.

My question is;

Do you shoot some type of spray tack on the lace to get it to lay nice and flat ? Or do you pull it super tight and use low pressure ?

I need advice for sure before I screw it up.

My test panel has fuzzy edges because the lace lifted.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

• 71.jpg
      71.jpg
      File size:
      104.5 KB
      Views:
  2. blt2go

blt2go

keep in mind i've only done small panels like cycle skins. i stretch it fairly tight (but don't distort the material) and use low pressure. usually airbrush, but any gun should work with a good atomization and low pressure. good luck.

3. I've always pulled it tight and used low pressure just kind of misting the paint on.

4. HOTRODKID91

HOTRODKID91

I just laced the roof of my galaxie this last weekend and we just pulled it tight and used high pressure but make sure to keep ur gun pointed directly down so u don't blow paint under the lace

5. HOTRODKID91

HOTRODKID91

[​IMG]

Here is how we did the lace

6. 1OFNONE

1OFNONE
    from Nebraska

Thanks guys !

I will post photos when its done.

7. SHRUM

SHRUM

Got pics of it finished?

8. What I usually do and have heard from others is spray a light dust coat of clear before you lay the lace down. Then lay the lace down when the clear is tacky. This preventing any movement of the lace between your coats of color. Works great. Good luck!

9. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Stretch it tight and hold paint straight down, as already said.
    Sometimes a quick spray of clear before the lace will be tacky enough to hold it down.
    On small stuff like motorcycle tins shoving the part into a nice lace stocking works good too.

10. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

11. The Harpoon

The Harpoon

super 77 the lace lightly and tape the edges down tight. I dont know what your spraying but i like to use basecoat or an intercoat with a heavy amount of kandy concentrate.

here on the below link is a chopper i just did. the lace was sprayed with a light blue metallic over a dark blue then i fogged candy over everything after pulling the lace.

http://www.mooneyesusa.net/2011/0405/1950-triumph-speed-twin-california-blue/

12. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

The above is all good info. Never thought of using a tack coat of clear, that would work great as well. I prefer a touch up gun like a Sata mini or something of that nature, or airbrush. Holding a full size gun further away or dropping the pressure works too. I'm definitely trying the clear trick the next time I do some lace. Thank you El Hueso.

13. 55chevr

55chevr

tape it down tightly ... use as low pressure as you can and still get paint to flow ... it is a very simple easy process. I did a lot of motorcycles in the 70-s using lacquer ... not rocket science.

14. CalGasser

CalGasser

Haven't done this in awhile but did this years ago. I would dampen the lace just enough so it wouldn't leave any water residue. Laying it down on the work, it would cling to it (like wet jeans to your leg). I'd then shoot my color with a light mist then heavier the following coats. Don't know if this is acceptable but it worked for me.