Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lab-Metal? Anyone here used it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CURIOUS RASH, Nov 16, 2010.

1. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Saw this on CL and just wondering if anyone has experience with it. What did you try it on? Did it work?

2. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

Never heard of it. How much dose it cost. I would try it on something if it was'nt to costly.

3. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

I've used it to fill pin holes for powder coating. I thinned it so you can brush it on,cured it in the oven at 450 for an hour.I did that while she was at work.It didn't stink the house up. Sand it off and it worked well.I used the blue label hitemp stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  4. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

5. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I have used it I think it would be fine for cosmetic repairs and such. I can tell you what it wont work well on is intake runner/portwork That was a costly mistake!

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Cosmetic repair only...use under powdercoating. Not the easiest stuff to work...but I used it on a bumper and it held up fine...use it for only minor repairs or over minor rust spots...

R-

7. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

It costs but it works !!

8. turdytoo

turdytoo

Had a friend use it to block exhaust heatrisers in heads. As exspected, it didn't last.

9. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I heard about it several years ago from this guy that was fabricating some machines. He used it at the flange and web interfaces to to smooth out the welds to make the weldment look more like a casting. I thought it would be great stuff until I saw what it cost.

It's about $40 for a 48 oz can of the stuff. Probably work great for something that you are fabricating and power coating though.

10. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

If you've just got small imperfections/pits to fill, why not regular J B Weld.? Good to 600 degrees. Should be OK with Powder coat?
    Just a thought

11. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

I have CRACKS in structural locations. I was hoping this goop was the answer but doesn't sound like it.

12. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

13. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I think Eastwood carries this stuff