Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage LA Roadsters Fathers Day Show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blake 27, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, I don't have any more, got that one from Jack's book, but I bet Dick Scritchfield does.
    Just returned from visiting Scritch in Kona, Hawaii, staying with him for 10 days.
    Unbelievable how much old LAR stuff & pix he has kept over the years!

Hamtown Al likes this.
  2. Special Ed

Special Ed

Just quoting a couple of the posts on here, buddy... not "dismissing" anyone or "calling people" out. Relax. :cool:
    "...I am a bitter old cheap bastard..."
    and
    "Screw em all ..."
    Their words, not mine. Sounds kinda angry and bitter to me. Perhaps you have a different definition?

3. That's my vote for quote of the day. That's a riot.

Hamtown Al and lbcd like this.
  4. I think this thread has been hammered every way possible at this point. Why don't we just wait and see how it goes and give this topic a rest?

5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Interesting discussion for this new guy, I enjoyed reading all of it. The different perspectives are all valid IMO, makes it kinda like a faceted jewel.

I plan on going, but probably just 1 day, the wife is good for 1 day of walking the show, but she's done after that. Wish the pre-registration for the drive in was available for 1 day. Instead of preregistering I'll probably take my chances and drive in on Saturday.

6. That's OK by me Dean! OK everyone, put away pitchforks, tar and feathers!

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

AMEN!!

invada and Dean Lowe like this.
  8. ratman

ratman

Well said. It costs a huge amount of money to put these events on.
    If we don't contribute to cover the costs they simply won't be there anymore.
    I live in New Zealand and am one of 12 guys in my club spending many thousands of dollars to travel many thousand of miles to attend this years event.
    I also went last year and again no complaints from me or my wife or my daughter.
    We are not complaining we do this by choice.
    We also have the same issue of paying big money for venues when we host events here in NZ and get the same complaints.
    I even got a very abusive phone call one night from an older guy I had huge respect for many years he deemed it ok to shout abuse at me because we had to double the entry fee for our club swapmeet from $5 to $10 to cover the cost of the venue
    The health and safety crap has also added major costs to hosting events.
    User pays so if you use get your wallet out and pay
    If you don't then shows and events like this will disappear.
    Then we will all have something real to piss and moan about and you can stay home with Mom knitting socks.

Sent from my SM-G930F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

invada, tofords, Hamtown Al and 2 others like this.
  9. That didn't last long.

Hamtown Al and clem like this.
  10. I guess the last few posts didn't make around to the other side of the world!:)

invada, Hamtown Al and clem like this.
  11. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes it's been hammered, but it's a democratic world most civilised folk live in so sit back and listen.
    From down under it costs a little more than the miserly pittance entry fee to enjoy the best car show on the planet. We sure still plan to be there and enjoy. Money was made round , remember .
    Don't live with stubborn regrets.

12. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hear you loud and clear, BURN OUT. We attended the 51st LARS in our red Deuce. It was so freaking cool to rub elbows (it used to be called "bumping dicks", but I won't refer to it as such) with the Westies. Stayed 3 blocks from the Early Ford Store which we visited, cruised to So Cal, LimeWerks, and Bobby Walden's shop. Had an absolutely fine time. We met a couple of really nice guys at T.R.O.G. who I had communicated with here on the HAMB, Cyclone Kevin and paintslinger 805. They are building El Mirage era roadsters. I want to make a fourth trip in the roadster to El Mirage this time around, then our west coast trips will probably cease to exist because we are old. I feel just like you about cruising I would enjoy trying to tie your mileage, but I'm not sure I have enough Summers left. We are 71 and 73. We cruise every chance we can in the Texas Hill Country and often at night when it's hot. I've always enjoyed your posts but don't see them much anymore. Well, take care of yourselves and drive that beautiful roadster every chance y'all get. We are fixing to head out as we speak for a little after-midnight ride in the hills. Gary Addcox

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    Hamtown Al and Special Ed like this.
  13. Read my posts, it's not about the money. This is the end of a tradition. I guess what I've written has fallen on deaf ears.

tofords, rfraze, da34guy and 4 others like this.
  14. PRE48V-8

PRE48V-8
    from H.G., CA

"TRADITION VS. THE NUMBER"
    What's it going to cost, "THE NUMBER" is always going to be a factor in maintaining "TRADITION".

Lots of opinions and some well supported view points on both sides with real world perspective from young and old enthusiast who've attended the event in its various incarnations from the past to the present. What's the right path forward? It seems the answers are present in the previous posts...

"THE NUMBER" starts with the event production & administration baseline costs. What gets added is relative to the type of event. Is it a charity event like "Cruisin' for a Cure" donating proceeds prostate cancer organizations, a strictly car club function like a local pancake breakfast swap meet or poker run, maybe it is a larger scale event for profit such as an indoor car show like the GNRS or a Goodguys Rod & Custom national event such as the Spring Nationals at Del Mar race track? Enthusiast clubs needs for profit are nil, charity events require some profit to cover administration expenses and national events, though enthusiast based, are a commercial exercise and arguably have the largest amount added to the baseline costs of any enthusiast based event. That's the way it is...

"TRADITION" requires some cost in order to be maintained. The cost isn't always based on money. It can come in the form of enthusiast participation (i.e., donation of one's time, as described earlier using the M.S.R.A. example) in organizing and administrating an event, or sponsorship from a business or private entity to help cover costs. Or, it can come in the form of charitable donations collected upon entry to an event (like the "Cruisin' for a Cure" event). Sometimes, it is just a plain entry fee to cover the costs of the venue and some more added to the top for the promoter who, like most people, doesn't like to work for free....

The balance of "THE NUMBER" and "TRADITION" are intertwined. In order to work "THE NUMBER" must be reasonable and the "TRADITION" must be appeal to enough people to be preserved. The trick is, how to do it? Things done "for the love of it" which maintains a code, idea, a theme if you will that is inclusive will more than likely be successful over time as opposed to something that started out that way and over time lost its original focus, eventually becoming jaded to which will eventually aid in its slow demise....

Its seems clear that on all accounts, for whatever the reasons, the LA Roadster club has painted itself in a corner & are arguably in a sort of self made bubble through exclusivity and specificity of vehicle model and year of manufacture requirements. Some of these factors have made it logistically impossible to continue to organize and administrate the event many of us are fond of and had been a part of our social lives for decades. So, do they call it a day? Then why does the LAR club exist? "TRADITION" seems to be part of what guided their decision to hand over the administration of this show for a fee. The other party who entered into this agreement with the LAR club that also happens to be a member will no doubt be expected to maintain certain customs and guidelines, for now. This no doubt includes a fiscal guideline (fee to the club for either leasing or selling the event administration to the other party) along with customary traditions of the event (pewter mugs for roadster participants).

If the price goes up, but the event quality is maintained enough to preserve the enthusiasm, there will be enough folks to show up and generate enough income to meet "THE NUMBER" and then some. However, it is possible that if "TRADITION" isn't well maintained, isn't promoted, then there will be nothing to sell to the enthusiast or the public. It's a "ROADSTER SHOW" and a "SWAP MEET" which some would say are the main components that attract people to this event, and why it's increased in size over the last 2 decades. The location is probably best suited for the event as well, being at the sight of the Pomona Swap meet and NHRA drag races for years along with the real estate to accommodate spectators, participants and exhibitors. One shouldn't expect something for free, but should expect to pay a fair price. "THE NUMBER" and "TRADITON" are virtually the same as "SUPPLY & DEMAND" in this scenario. If the promoter raises fees for the swap meet and roadster participants too far, then no more roadster or swappers. That will be the beginning of the end, because you must have "TRADITION" to make "THE NUMBER". I guess time will tell, but hopefully all parties will be reasonable and listen on both sides, both promoter and participant, understanding that there is value (and cost) to be able to attend a well organized and administrated enthusiast based event populated with like-minded folks while also acknowledging the value that their attendance and participation brings to the event. That's called mutual respect & consideration for one another, the proverbial two way street.

For what it's worth, I still plan to attend this year as a swap meet participant (I actually have parts I need to pass on so someone else can make their dreams come true). The price of the swap spaces have gone up to $80.00, but have remained steady for at least 5 years (according to my records) at $70.00 per space for both Sat. & Sun. (which includes 2 spectator wristbands). That comes out to about $40.00 per day, which is about the cost for a one day swap meet space at most local so. cal. large auto swap meets like the Pomona Swap Meet or Long Beach Vets Stadium Hi-Perf. swap meet. That's between 10%-15% swap meet fee increase. Arguably, most don't do it to make a profit; Sundays are slow, particularly since the show & swap were separated about 4-5 years ago so most bail on Sat. evening (unless it's over 100-deg. F like last year which killed foot traffic by noon). However, for most folks like myself, it's a social/enthusiast based event to meet old friends, make new ones, get rid of stuff out of the garage, pass on some info. or learn something new yourself and just walk & gawk taking in all the machinery, stuff and people. However all that "TRADITION"-based nostalgia and enthusiasm get diluted when the rent gets too high. Meaning? You can sell more swap spaces when they are $80 ea. instead of $100 ea. Reasonable cost=Higher sales=More profits. Pack a swap meet to the maximum with real, used hard to find parts for enthusiast and the spectator gate will swell with enthusiasts who would rather look at a used part in person than take a chance on buying it based on a text description or poor quality image of it on a web sight.

LAST THOUGHT: Whatever the outcome, good or bad, hopefully after this years' 2017 LARS event is over, there will be more thoughtful debate, opinions shared and in the end what worked will be maintained and what didn't will be taken into account by the promoters after listening to the constructive criticisms (not bitching or moaning) of the enthusiast participants/spectators and do what's needed to make the next years event better for everyone. PRE48V-8\:^]

Irish Mike, Surf City and Pewsplace like this.
  15. I was in conversation with a senior LA Roadster member over breakfast on Saturday and they are getting a ton of flack over the cost of going in. While justifying it with the explanation of what it cost to rent the Fairplex and the cost of the mugs but somehow leaving out how much they charge the exhibitors etc. Yada Yada Yada.
    I think I will go just to see what happens. Taking the Roadster or walking in is about the same $$$$ so driving will be what I do. Sending $$ off tomorrow.

Hamtown Al and The37Kid like this.
  16. 19Roadster32

19Roadster32

As an LA Roadster member I would like to add my 2 cents on some of the posts I have read. First the show has NOT BEEN SOLD as previously stated by another member. The show is being managed by Rod Shows. With the inflated costs of running the show, it may have lasted 3 or 4 more years. The show would not happen without family and volunteers which the club pays all expenses throughout the weekend. I don't think anybody will notice much of a difference this year but hopefully a better show in the future.
    For the past 2 out of 3 years we attempted to charge passengers but even then we would look the other way when we knew a daughter/son was the passenger. Besides week night cruises there are not many shows that you don't pay, I think we have all just gotten spoiled. I really believe 4 tickets, pewter mug, dinner on the hill ( not just a hot dog ) a program and any other items that might be in the bag is well worth it. Not to mention the swap meet, vendors cackle fest, 600-800 finished roadsters ( depending on how hot it is ) and 1000+ pre 70 something cars.

Also somebody mentioned that a couple of members said his car was a piece of #%*. Well every club whether it be cars, boats, motorcycle etc.. has those type of members. We all have our own opinions but some just don't know how to keep it to their self. We all like different things and should not be criticized for it.

Hopefully everybody comes out and please keep the discussion going.

invada, typo41, crminal and 7 others like this.
  17. Thanks for your input and joining the HAMB community. One of our traditions is to do an introduction of yourself on your first post and really become a part of what we represent here. Thanks to Ryan's dedication to "Traditional Hot Rods", he has given all of us this great site with a lot of blood, sweat and tears on his part.

My point has always been that when you introduced the promoter to the show, you added the expense of his profit margin and took away the tradition of the heritage of the LA Roadster Show. The LA Roadster Show has always been very special to me for that very reason. We all recognize that expenses always rise and correspondingly so do the prices, and I will always support the show in that way. Since I don't have a running roadster at the time I will happily pay at the gate, or by driving my non-roadster car in or by buying a swap meet space. It isn't about the money, its about the tradition. I hope you took the time to read my heartfelt posts and recognize that your club and show is not just another car show to me. In fact I changed my life and where I choose to live in part by moving 1500 miles closer to Pomona so I can attend every year. Prior to that I drove almost 5000 miles roundtrip in my roadster to be a part of your tradition. I gave the example of the MSRA and how they staff their "Back to the 50's Show with club member volunteers that volunteer to work one day of the show to support it. Its your exclusive club to do with as you choose but there are thousands of us that would step up to be "associate members" and make the LA Roadster Club and the Roadster Show even greater and preserve the traditions of the show. All you have to do is invite us to participate and be a part of something greater.

From the MSRA's website: https://msrabacktothe50s.com/

"Thank you to the 2000+ volunteers who work the 4000 shifts, to the over 11,950+ vehicle participants who register, to our Sponsors, the over 400 vendors and crafters who fill the many buildings and who fill the grounds, to the spectators who come rain or shine, to the volunteer committees and those chairpersons of these committees who volunteer year round, and to the MSRA Board of Directors who oversee Back To The 50’s. On the cover of the MSRA monthly LineChaser is a special byline, it reads Friends+Food+Fun+Fellowship. YOU are the classic car community, and that “+” includes you, and we thank you!"

invada, PRE48V-8, da34guy and 2 others like this.
  18. deucemac

deucemac

I thought I would pass on information that I received the last couple of days I've been in contact with a staff member from Rod Shows. Both by email and phone as recent as this afternoon. There has been a real lack of straight information forthcoming concerning changes this year. Just yesterday laroadstershow.com has added a link to easily download the "pre-entry" form. I was made aware of a change made just today concerning parking on Friday. Prior to today, no "early bird" parking was allowed. After explaining my situation and distance traveled to them, they modified the parking restrictions. Only pre registered vehicle will be allowed early parking on Friday. Plus the hours of access to the parking are limited to noon until 4p.m. on Friday. So, those of you driving long distances and expecting to park and leave the car starting Friday, MUST be pre registered or will not be allowed on grounds until Saturday morning. The $50 entry fee includes entry for two both days, a program and goodie bag, dinner for two Saturday evening up on the hill (I wonder how Isky and a few others will slip in this year), and last of all the first 500 pre-registered will get the traditional mug at 3 p.m. on Sunday. That last part about the mug restriction rubbed me the wrong way. I stated my objection and was countered with the cost of the mugs. I feel that if you are charged the entry fee, you should get a mug if you are their both days . I was again countered with the cost of mugs versus number of participants and not having left over mugs because not enough cars showed up. If memory serves me correctly, there have been years passed when there was a shortage of mugs and people were issued rain checks and extra mugs were ordered and sent to all participants do that no extras were left behind due to over ordering. I might be wrong on that, but perhaps deuce daddy don or other club members will chime in and correct me. Here again, I feel tradition should Trump dollars. A little less profit and happy participants is good. I am sure none of us wants to see this great show collapse from cost, but there must be a happy medium that can be reached. I asked that all the changes be released well in advance of the show for the benefit of everyone and allow everyone to get used to how it will be now, rather that finding out while you are in line. No fun to be blind sided after driving cross country and spent considerable time, money, and effort only to face disappointment and frustration. I will continue to stay in touch with the Rod Shows staffer and report back any other changes as I am made aware of them. I've gone too many years and made too many friends to not continue throw in the towel now. Besides, if any of you remember Jack Stewart and his passion for the club and show, I sure don't want to catch his wrath after I die because I didn't hang in there enough for Jack. Sorry for the long post.

Hamtown Al and vintagehotrods like this.
  19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Does the LARS Mug design change every year? If not they could order 5,000 get a killer deal and just glue on the date, or engrave it. Bob

20. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Not to get off topic, but holy moly. Whose nailhead T is that, and are there more photos? Also, the T bobber in the background above this car.... any more pictures?

21. uncle buck

uncle buck

I have experienced the 3:00 Sunday rule in the past and left disappointed without the mug , at noon Sunday I might add . With a long 2 day drive home from the show, I couldn't make the extra time to wait. I might add , that was the last time I drove my roadster to the show. I have been since making the trek civilian style. It allows me the ability to leave late Saturday afternoon so I can make it home to go back to work. I also understand they have to rent the facility for the whole weekend , but I'm not retired and I know many people travel farther than the 1200 miles I do to attend and still have to work for a living.

22. The current year is inscribed on the mugs. Also if it's an anniversary year, there is a special inscription. The 50th is pretty special. I am collecting the little pewter roadsters. I hope they continue those.

deucemac likes this.
  23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

who knew that traditions could be so complicated - I do not have a roadster, or live close by. but, have attended as a civilian - terrific history with show. but, I do understand that things change from time to time - have to learn to roll with the punches, which is not always easy to do

24. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I'm going to the LARS again this year.

25. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good read PRE48V-8,------Remember at Great Western 1972 swap spaces were $15.00????

Dean Lowe and da34guy like this.
  26. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you were registered, & left early, you should have received your mug within 2 weeks.---Don

27. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We will Dean!-----Don

Dean Lowe likes this.
  28. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After the initial order of 500 each year from England, mugs are then inscribed locally, If you have registered & leave early, OR mugs are depleted, MORE mugs will be ordered, inscribed, then mailed to you, BEFORE any LAR member receives his mug.----Thats our "Tradition".-----Don

29. Good news Don. I almost missed the 50th roadster. Got the last one on the table!

deucemac and Special Ed like this.
  30. plan9

plan9

It cost over $50.00 to get dinner with my chick and see some shit movie.

I spent $50.00 on a parking ticket....

I dropped $700.00 on car junk in the past week.

The swap is fun, and admittedly ive never looked at the roadsters in all the years ive attended. I recall paying $40 or $50 for swap space... at times I'd split the cost with a friend, or not. Worth every penny.

Irish Mike, deucemac and The37Kid like this.