Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage LA Roadsters Fathers Day Show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blake 27, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now, wait a minute!----Its amazing just how many know so little about the LAR club, when I became a member in 1971, I was 39, today at 84, you have to remember we are getting a lot older, So John Buck, who is also an LAR member & businessman, made an offer for a 5 year contract to take control of all operations, leaving all of us old dudes to become "Roving Ambassadors" instead of working the show.
    We hope success to John, & lots of changes will make things work out for the best, so give it a chance!
    Anyhow, I had a great time putting on 2439 miles from Bend, Oregon & back TOPLESS!! Snow,Rain & HOT sun.

Chili Phil, clunker, Fern 54 and 6 others like this.
  2. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Dean!----I brought those 2 pewter roadsters for you, but couldn't make contact, so now they are back home again.---Don

Dean Lowe likes this.
  3. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bob,----I brought all my old HAMB tags to mount on the "Quilt"---But never found you!---Don

4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I know times are changing,in the late 50s an into the 60s,I super enjoyed indoor shows of two to three days,set up an left cars in them over 1 or 2 nites. Back then the cost of rent on big hanger or con.hall we did shows in was fairly low/it was looked at as a help the town out by having great places to have event s for the hole town plus. Well along comes carpitbaggers,greedy mayors etc. an to hell with helping out the town with places to have low cost comuity events,up the rent ,an up the rent some more,then add toll to what was free parking etc. We stopped having great car shows,not cuz the town didn't want too would come to see the cars*,but they were not willing to pay for every new city BS cost the Gov. came up with. So after a fairly short time going in too the 70s n 80s,no one rented the now over cost places any more. The city then ripped down the great buildings{in good shape} ,so the crooked mayor an staff could line there pockets from kick back by selling off {our} city land to priv. buyers/to be come shopping centers or condos ,were town event centers were { that may of been the plan all along .

jcmarz and deucemac like this.
  5. I looked all over the place for two days and never found you!

6. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

5 years with John Buck in charge...... this show is going to die, it might not even make 5 years

deucemac likes this.
  7. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

WOW ! there's optimism for you . . . .

8. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

If John Buck screws this up the same way he did with the GNRS, we'll all be lucky. I still hope to get to LARS someday and I'll take GNRS any day over most of our East Coast events.

Chili Phil, Special Ed and bondolero like this.
  9. Dean was in the same place he always is!!!!

10. What tags are you referring to?

11. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ct1932ford likes this.
  12. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

Pete that's right on and I agree. we have been paying for swap spaces and Friday early bird specialty parking for decades and I am happy to be there and have looked forward to the swap and show every year. the price has gone up slightly and who cares . Its always been fun with a great swap meet too. Sure this was a first attempt by John Buck to take over and they made a few mistakes but I have alerted them to what in the opinion of many I know of what may need adjusting and John was very appreciative of my suggestions so I'm positive next year will be great again. So whoever is copping an attitude to boycott this old and traditional show then it's their loss . I will return next summer like I have for well over three decades.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

14. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

15. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

Dean everything is changing and not for the better. there is nothing from '77to '87 that qualifies as a rod or custom or is Cool at all. All stupid shapeless boxes. even if there is one that's fast and powerful it's still ugly. do
    I dare say "ITS OVER"!!! or getting very close .

Dean Lowe likes this.
  16. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

17. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

yes true by a whopping $5 increase.

18. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

19. My keyboard got ahead of my brain. After learning that my concerns were addressed two weeks prior to the show, I gave myself an attitude adjustment. I went, had a great time, and will go back again. And, Larry, I've got you be a decade and a half.

Hamtown Al, deucemac and hotroddon like this.
  20. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

that needs to change!! we have always left our cars overnite . i don't own a roadster but have always been part of specialty car parking and always on Friday early morning but I believe a John an his associates were simply not aware of the decades old Friday entry tradition. Staking out a spot for our buddies tat rolled in later on Friday and on Saturday was part of the routine. I pointed this out along with a few other minor glitches to John in a three page suggestion rant that turned out to be appreciated and will hopefully be considered for next year.

21. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

22. The roadsters were allowed in Friday between noon and 4 PM. John does listen, and made that change before the show. I believe more changes will be made, and even the pot stirrers might be happy next year. If not, they can continue to stay home, and we will continue to enjoy a great weekend.

Special Ed and thewildturkey46 like this.
  23. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

They will and there were plenty of empty spots this year too

24. That's the bottom line. I'd rather be with a few hundred people that want to be there and have a good time, than a thousand who want to bitch and complain!

Sent from my XT1650 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

thewildturkey46 likes this.
  26. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

Right On brother. cheap bastards for sure. whining about paying. Every thing costs money and It's worth every cent . that fairplex is EXPENSIVE to rent but the dumbasses expect it to be free. WTF?

thewildturkey46 likes this.
  27. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

i was hoping it was not the $50 but I did not know there was all the extra perks if you drove a roadster but it makes sense. I am having a conversation with John to talk about some of my suggestions so I will bring that up too. if more people would Email John Buck with their feelings and any suggestions It would really help him to make the show great again. I did as well as a hand written three page suggestion rant and a similar Email and he actually read them and had his secretary contact me with a thanks and an opportunity to talk with him very soon.

28. Well,. I did take my Roadster, paid the$50 and did feel like I was part of something special, I WAS thanked by club members many of whom were taking shit from people who would have been better served making positive suggestions. The last few years the swap was dead by late Saturday and a ghost town on Sunday, but the naysayers either forgot or weren't there. Does the show need some improvement? Yes. But it has for years and now there is a chance that can happen.

Sent from my XT1650 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

I knew a jack Stewart. how could I get a copy of his story of the club. I would like John to read it . I am hoping to get him thru suggestions to get the show back closer to the traditional way the show has been. one problem is the enormous cost of the fairplex. I'm sure it goes up every year and that building 4 is part of the problem. I have some Ideas that I will share with John Buck here very soon as he has expressed his plan to call me in regards to a three page hand written suggestion rant that I submitted. he liked it and wants to talk. I'm just a old pinstriper / sign painter but I have been attending this show all three days since 1979 so I know the traditional workings of the show well enough to help him keep most everyone happy. I'm hoping for the best but time will tell