Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage LA Roadster Show Sold ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintagehotrods, Oct 18, 2016.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

My wife wont come to the next one unless I have the '39 finished...:D

2. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I hope that you're right.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. deucemac

deucemac

You missed the entire point. The LA Roadsters put on this event to showcase finished roadsters. The swap, admission, preferred parking, and vendor fees went to lots of very good and deserving charities. When a venue changes from people passionate, excited and caring to someone who's whole intent is make a buck, the event loses something very special. There were many years when my cars were under construction and I gladly paid general admission or specialty parking because I understood the club and their real purpose. I can afford the charges. I grease Mr. Buck's palm each year when I put my car in the drive in cruise at the GNRS. A great show to be sure but nothing like the atmosphere on Father's Day. I remember when Kernville was run by the Kernville Street Rods until their numbers dwindled and they ran out of steam. It has since been taken over by a real estate concern and others and has never returned to charm given it by a passionate group. So Alchemy , rethink the idea that is entry money, for me and so many others it is extremely different.

uncle buck likes this.
  4. It will be interesting to see what happens at the LARS this year and no matter what happens I'll be there. Now if we could just have the "June Gloom" back with the cool, cloudy weather instead of the scorching heat we've had the past two years.

One more thing I'd love to see happen at the GNRS this January is for Mr. Buck to add the swap meet to the show just like the LARS! That would pull in more people and I think it would help the gate. I also think that would bring in more people from across the country, especially the guys stuck up in the snow belt that need a break from winter. The worlds best indoor car show with the worlds best swap meet, what could be better than that? It would also help to offer a $50 ticket price for the whole weekend (instead of $25 each day). The Drive-In could stay the same on Saturday with the staging out where you line up outside the Swap Meet.

Any thoughts?

5. DWBlietz

DWBlietz
    from California

GUYS & GALS the show and swap have been the best of the last 20 years . i have sold at 15 of them and i think that the reason we all go there is the cars ,new ,old , everyone should remember its all about the cars

deucemac likes this.
  6. It would take away the charm and uniqueness of the show to take out of Victoria. I had heard Al was getting pretty frustrated in his dealings with the city because they weren't as cooperative as they were in the past. And the whole show was just way too much for Al to take on anymore. It was just a victim of its success due in large part to Al and his crew's dedication to making it perfect in every way possible. I hope it would continue unchanged but if it doesn't I will always be thankful I made it this year.

Deucedreamer likes this.
  7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Theres a rumour it might go to Nanaimo, if it does, that's a very nice, picturesque city itself, and its a little quieter and more laid back than downtown Victoria too. In some ways, its maybe even a better venue for a hot rod event. If that ends up happening, I highly recommend you guys from the US give it a chance, I think you might really like it.
    All this is just rumours, but they did come from someone with an inside track on whats going on. But nothing is settled yet.

8. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a great time at Victoria this year!----Roads are pretty rough tho,----WOW! 1100 st. rods!---30 years ago only 40 cars were there!

falcongeorge likes this.
  9. Thanks George, I checked out Nanaimo and it looks like another beautiful place to visit and I'm always open minded about new venues because its something and somewhere I've never been. I have no doubt that it would be well worth the trek up there and then this time I could come up through Vancouver and see even more of beautiful British Columbia. So many roads to travel, so little time!

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

It really is, I think the Poker Run would potentially actually be BETTER in the Namaimo area, its really beautiful, and as soon as you get even a little way out of the city center, its more rural, really nice.

11. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

From an income/profit perspective, Father's Day Show and Deuce Days are different. At the LARS, the show access is controlled since it is inside a fence so the entry can be managed and a spectator fee charged. I would guess that the LA Roadster club allowed roadsters to get in free because they are sympathetic to roadsters. On the other hand, Deuce Day is held on the public streets of Victoria so there is no fence/gate at which to charge admission. Unless the new show promoter for Deuce Days is doing it as a mostly volunteer effort, they will want to maximize revenue and need to charge spectator admission.....tough to do in the present location. Reportedly, Deuce Day had 100,000 spectators (according the mayor who spoke at the Sat, night banquet). If the new promoter could skim $10 from each spectator, the pile 'o cash gets interesting and makes the car entry fee look like small potatoes. That's why the venue has to change; no way to control access at the current location.

12. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NOT "sympathetic" to roadsters!-----Open to all removable top cars from 1937 down (1937 was last year Henry produced a roadster).
    We have always encouraged all body styles as long as the top can come down.-----And, giving an English pewter engraved mug to all participants that show their cars is an appreciation for making the show a success since 1960.----Don

Hamtown Al and deucemac like this.
  13. Everyone needs a deadline !

falcongeorge and deucemac like this.
  14. Rodders

Rodders

Hope it stays the same I'm making the trip in 2017 in my roadster from Chicago. I don't care if they charge it's on my bucket list so I'm doing it.

jim snow likes this.
  15. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Why is it a crime to make a buck or two on a car show? I know, "why should I pay to enter a car show so the promoter can charge a spectator to look at my car." If you really are into traditional hot rodding, you already know that Robert E. Petersen started that trend in 1949 along with Hot Rod Magazine. The guys running TROG, Hot Rod Hill Climb and dozens of other events aren't doing it for free. Sounds to me that there are lots of Bernie Bros into hot rodding.

16. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I think Buck will improve the show as he did the GNRS. I'm still going in 2017

wingman9 and hotroddon like this.
  17. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

One year Deuce Days was held in Chilliwack, BC just at the head of the Fraser Valley. Not as big as Victoria but has it's own special charm. Regardless, I think it should stay in Victoria; it's "traditional"!

falcongeorge likes this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The LA Roadster show is still on of those events on my bucket list but I hadn't planned on going until I had a finished vehicle to go with.
    I guess I knew that the finished and shiny roadsters that got in to the "actual roadster show" didn't have to pay but If I have a finished roadster or qualified finished open car paying to show it damned well won't be a deal breaker. Think about it, are you going to pass on showing your finished roadster alongside some of the most Iconic roadsters in existence that may in some instances only be shown at the roadster show and then go into hiding for another year just because you now have to fork over a few bucks to show it? That all the while the guys on the other side of the fence are plumb ticked to get their not so shiny rods or rods with solid tops that don't fold or come off in the "special parking" area and are willing to pay to do it. I do hope that they maintain the standards for the roadsters in the roadster part though.
    I do hope they hold Deuce days again even if it does move to another BC city or town. I didn't get to go this year and that is another one on the "list".
    I don't know how I'll be when I get one of my projects on the road but right now I have become pretty selective as to the events I venture to big or small to see what is there and what is going on. I would have missed the local one that is two miles from the house if I hadn't run to town for a paper on the day it was on this year. Being an "open" show it doesn't often have a lot that interests me as I can walk on a used car lot and see cars similar to half the cars in the

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I would like to see it stay in Victoria as well, but if it doesn't, I hope that guys will still come out and support it, and I do think Nanaimo is an excellent venue, if it has to come to that.
    Its a different venue, but I do think it could be a big success in either city, I hope that if it DOES move, guys wont look at it as a "cut-rate" Deuce Days" and not support it, it would be a little different, but I think there are potential pluses as well as minuses.
    With a move to Nanaimo, there would be fewer of the "non-car guy" looky-loo tourist types for the big show on Sunday, that in itself could be a real plus. And it lends itself better to the cruises on Friday and Sat. night, they are pretty hemmed in and congested in Victoria. And you could really do a KICK-ASS poker run in the outlying areas around Nanaimo as well.
    This is supposed to be an LARS thread, but Deuce Days is really kind of the Canadian LARS I guess, and it is a hell of a show. I have mentioned it elsewhere, but for me at least, the parking lot and cruise scene on Friday and Saturday nights are the high point, man, what a hell of an event!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  20. Both shows are iconic and historic so any info on their future is welcome here.

I would hope the LARS stays the same as it is because of its history of showcasing roadsters by inviting roadsters in as honored guests. I always thought that is one of the things that set it apart and made it special (especially when you drove your roadster several thousand miles to be there). It's always been that way and I hope the tradition continues. It's just not another car show, after all it is the "Los Angeles Roadster Show".

Either way, I'll still be there.

deucemac, HemiDeuce and falcongeorge like this.
  21. Exactly. Hope this happens. I still go every year no matter what happens.

hotroddon likes this.
  22. the flatlander

the flatlander

like one of u said, nothing like the good ol days : Americruise (90's), Gatlinburg (70)'s), Delrods run in De., 70's Williamsburg rod run, previous York, etc. Like Goodguys (& unfortunately) NSRA, it's about the money man !! Cruz locally , support locally. Although Raleigh (NC) (GG), is gonna be a good meet (April 17 #3). see ya there

j3harleys likes this.
  23. fcarnut

fcarnut