Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage L.A. Roadster Show!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Has it been a week already? I'm still on the LARS High! And dang-it if I'm not lusting heavily for a roadster now. Thanks, Chip!

---
    Sent from the pits of dispair app. Wirelessly, of course.

2. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Ha, I was telling my dad that must be your old Maverick until I got closer and saw the wheels and thought naa, can't be. Seemed like the swap was smaller than usual. Maybe because of all the hype of it being the 50th many believed it would be harder to get a space?

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Shit... I would have like to have met ya!

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Zombie thread!!! Back from the dead a week later.... BRAINSSSSSSSSSSS!
    Yup Matt, that was mine. Like I said, it was the stupidest car I have ever loved. Driving around in a 40 year old brand new car is just a strange feeling.

Andy, thanks for coming with man, A good time was had by all! I thought more about your '27 track roadster idea from last week, too. Give me a yell when you have chance.

Ryan, Ya, I wish I'd known you were there. I would have gone out of my way to have said "Hi". I missed connections with tons of folks this year, but I can always be counted on to be at L.A.R.S. next year too.

I did have one weird thing strike me out of this year's deal. Judy constantly yells at me that I need a smart phone, and I have resisted 'cause I just don't want the complication. It finally dawned on me that if I was so equipped I could have stayed in contact with the H.A.M.B. during the day when I was out there and made some of the connections that I missed. Maybe next year that will happen. As for now, I'm just slightly still freaked that I have to wait a whole 'nother year again...

5. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Seems like theirs usually a H.A.M.B. camp on the grounds but didn't see a banner this year. Got a few pics if you don't mind. Just got back to my house today.

DSCN7553.JPG DSCN7554.JPG DSCN7555.JPG DSCN7556.JPG DSCN7557.JPG DSCN7559.JPG DSCN7561.JPG

6. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

8. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

9. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Most or all of these were as I entered the show. Forgot about the camera once I reached the swap area.:)

Here's the old desert center we'd usually stop at for a break and a bite to eat on the way. Kinda bummed to see it like this. Sign in the window says temporarily closed, been that way for a while.
    DSCN7533.JPG DSCN7536.JPG DSCN7538.JPG DSCN7543.JPG DSCN7548.JPG DSCN7549.JPG

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Huh, I didn't know the Café had closes there. Must have been the zombies...

11. Yeah maybe BUT Chip is funnier. Especially when he tells the story about the comet wagon & his bride with accents. Man he had us rolling & tearin& side aching laughter.
    Nice to have met ya Chip.

need louvers ? likes this.
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

GREAT PHOTOS! I have a cheap camera and the quality of my photos isn't anywere as nice, thanks for liking the same cars I did. The red 26-27 Roadster Pickup and the '29 Roadster with the aluminum hood and grille shell were my picks for Best of Show. Our first year out there, and I'll start a thread on my impressions of the meet, should be interesting to hear how other rookies viewed things. we'll be back in 2015! Bob

13. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Or lack of zombies. Sure miss my BLTs in BFE.

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

good to meet you too Bob! See, you guys let me talk too much - nobody hit the "Chip off" switch!

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey Bob! My photos come out of a cheapie point and click kinda camera too. I couldn't be trusted with anything else. You are more than welcome to add your stiuff on here if for some reason you don't want to start a thread of your own.

Good to hear that you will be back in 2015! Next year I'll do better at meeting up with everybody. next year too, keep in mind that ElPolacko and I have a tradition of 25 years now that we observe, and that is dinner on Saturday night at the Northwoods in nearby Azusa. Join us!!!

16. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Realizing I should not focus on the OT stuff, still I gotta ask - did that Maverick used to have slots on it? Plaid seats? May have spotted it in Phoenix a couple years back. I put many miles on my brother's back when, would love to have another.

17. daddylama

daddylama

cool seeing the pics... thanks for posting!
    bummed to see the Desert Center Cafe is closed; i've eaten there a bunch of times.

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

LARS Rookie photo test. They came out fuzzy, the '29 Fordor looks a lot like what i hope my pile of parts looks like some day. The chin guard on that '32 looked great, may have to bend up one for my project. Bob

Attached Files:

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hell yes! High polish slots and pressure plates. Plaid seats, check. The white top is painted and not vinyl as most seem to think it is. You saw it!!! I really do miss that car. It has a soul.

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Cool Bob! I've loved that '29 Fordor (Briggs? I believe) for years now. He and his club get together every year and make a tour from L.A. to Phoenix in the spring. That is a well set up and sorted car!

You got Pete's T truck too! Like I said, I'm a sucker for full fendered "T"s...

Ya know, when you are done loading pictures, and right before you post, if you hit the "display all full sized" icon they'll all come out nice and big.

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Pete's T truck was great, I never knew he had it, it is based on the Fronty Twin Cam hauler that Crazy Chris had back in the 1970's, now in the Speedway collection in Lincoln, Nebraska. We stopped over to see him on Wednesday, the T Sprinter that it will haul some day looks great in person. I was looking at cars with cycle fenders up front, that blue '32 Coupe had the best pair out there. The one thing that hit me when I got there was the openess of everything and lack of people, maybe this is due to the really wide walk ways. East Coast events just seam compacked. I know I didn't walk by every car, and to be honest I got to the point were I'd look down a row and say to myself its just more '32 Roadsters. I never got to the NHRA museum, but The Old Crow Speed Shop was our first stop, total time warp, in a most unlikely spot in Burbank. Bob

22. Bob, did you get your camera in a cereal box? That first picture of the sedan with the young lady next to it reminded me of Don Silverbauer's A. I heard you met up with Ronnie Roadster. He drove that roadster from CT. Must have been a blast.

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The Monte Trone car has become "Jimmy White's Hemi coupe sitting in the shade behind the yellow coupe?" I think I'm gonna have a good cry now...

GREAT pics Chip, and its neat to see the Buttera car. God when that car first came out, I HATED it (I agree though, HUGELY influental), now its become a historic hot rod. Funny how the world turns.

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I admit it I love Mavericks. Musta been all that Wayne Gapp stuff when I was a kid. And the dreaded "Watermelon Project"...
    Its a seventies thing, you had to be there...

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

WOH!!!
    Man, that purple is what I need! What an absolutely stunning car.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That little red RP is one of my favorites too, especially the bulldogged V8-60 axle. I'd still like to mix a lot of that car with an Owl T, a hint of Ala-Kart, a healthy shot of 270hp Corvette, long-bar lancers, and a gallon of Honduras maroon! Tasty recipe!

Ha! I just noticed 37Kid loves that car too! Did you guys notice in the article in Hot Rod Deluxe that back in the day it had Starfire caps on it? YUUUUM.

27. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Haha! No disrespect intended towards the Monte Trone coupe, but I knew that car was getting some attention via Instagram. I love that car although I'm not a fan of yellow cars. I was just surprised to see Jimmy White's Hemi coupe out and about.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Abso-freakin'-lutely! That was the first thing I asked the owner, if it was the one that was in Hot Rod Deluxe. He said it was, and seeing it in the magazine in flat paint drove him to get it painted and done! Neat little trucklet...

29. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

That's Cyclone Kevin's long time driver, recently had a freshen up. Been together for over 25 years.

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well it is BEAUTIFUL! Man, that purple is perfect!