Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage L.A. Roadster show & swap 2019 update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PRE48V-8, Sep 28, 2018.

1. PRE48V-8

PRE48V-8
    from H.G., CA

LARS 2019 handbill email pic pre48v8 9-28-18.JPG

Fri., Sept. 29, 2018, appx. 8:15 pm, PST

....This handbill was forwarded to me by a colleague who attended the annual, "Cruisin' for a Cure" one-day, cancer screening charity 'car show' event with over appx. 2000 cars in attendance last Sat. (9-22-2018) @ the Orange county fairground facility in Costa Mesa, CA. They told me a representative from the L.A. Roadster club was present at the aforementioned event, handing these out and 'pressing the flesh' to get the 'word out' sooner than later that the event is now going to be 'under club management' for it's 55th anniversary.

This handbill backs up a phone call I had with a representative at RodShows offices during the morning of Mon., Sept. 17, 2018. I was following up to find out if I could pre-register for my swap spaces as I'd done the previous year using the pre-registration form they provided me with after the 2017 LARS (which wasn't passed out to pre-registered swappers after the 2018 event this year). The RodShows associate informed me that they had officially transferred responsibility for organizing, managing and promoting the LARS back to the L.A. Roadster club. I inquired whether they knew what was to become of the swap meet pre-registration process that they had initiated during their tenure as the LARS promoter. She said that the club had been given the alpha-numeric swap meet layout and the list of swappers from the 2018 LARS. Her understanding was the club intended to contact all pre-registered swappers soon to see if they would be willing to participate and sign up for the 2019 LARS. Also, the L.A. Roadster club representative distributing handbills for the 2019 LARS my colleague encountered mentioned an intention to make some other changes to the event, the most obvious changing the event dates from the Fri.-Sat. format from this year back to a Sat.-Sun. schedule as it was for many years prior to 2018. My colleague also claimed that the club is also possibly looking into making some adjustments to how roadster owners who choose to participate in the long running show & swap will be treated.

Question is though, does anyone care? Let's use this thread to communicate amongst those who do care to have a fruitful conversation as to recommendations, opinions, reflections & facts about the previous 3-4 year 'slide' of the event from those who attended during that time period as a swapper, roadster owner or specialty vehicle owner and enthusiast spectator with the hope of providing constructive criticism's and/or positive feedback which we all can absorb amongst ourselves here on the H.A.M.B. Hopefully those in the club who are apparently now responsible for promoting their own event once more will read the input shared here on this thread and take the useful points under consideration with the goal of regaining the potential of this storied annual event which is arguably unique unto itself. Feel free to share your thoughts.......PRE48V-8\;^]

LOU WELLS and teach'm like this.
  2. Lil32

Lil32

we will be flying over again 2019 as we have done every other year
    this year we only attended friday, we had more fun at Donut Derelicts on the following saturday morning

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. toml24

toml24

Donuts Derelicts. Best FREE car show on the west coast.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  4. abe lugo

abe lugo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

well a step a good direction is better than not show at all.
    I make this my one Pomona Swap to do to all year. Even last year was better than most all Pomona Swaps.
    I hope this gets the word out to more out of state sellers to bring the goods.
    Maybe rearranging some of the swap and classic car parking as it used to be may help. Roadster parking areas vs the swap spilling into the horse track area.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I think the Saturday and Sunday dates will be more benefitting for the L.A. Roadsters as well as for the swappers and patrons. People work on Fridays and the afternoon and evening drive is a mess in So Cal, as it is.

I would say not to allow the swappers to hold/rope off areas for their buddy's. First come first serve for the reserved spots and allow the pay on the spot swappers to choose a space from a map layout of the non sold swap spaces.

Also add another food booth in the swap area.

I think it'll go well.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  6. VonKool13

VonKool13

Im not a seller, but a buyer and this past year wasn't good. I say add "pay on the spot" for spaces. That might eliminate some of the dead space from last year. I look forward to this swap and have built a few cars just off the super deals I get from the swap, we need to build it back up to what it was years past!

7. exterminator

exterminator

I don't own a roadster anymore but roadster and it's owner get in free.

8. deucemac

deucemac

I am glad to see the club take back the show. Buck sand company did little if anything to better the show. The swap seemed to benefit but little else. I will be there once again and wish them all the luck they need to turn it around.

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

at least they are trying to make things right

deucemac likes this.
  10. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

Don't fix the old way it was not broken. I have attended for about 45 years.

deucemac likes this.
  11. lumpy 63

lumpy 63
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good news:D . Sat Sun for sure, roadsters in free, and I like the Idea of pay on the spot swap spaces to sell off the empty spots. I'll be there.

12. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Glad to hear it is going to be Sat. Sun. again. It has always been about Fathers Day to me. I did not bitch and complain about this year, I just didn't go.

deucemac likes this.
  13. I paid for my swap space for next year while at this year show. I have kept all my receipts and I have my contact info of who I delt with. As long as they honor what I pre-paid for I am fine. I really hope they keep the pre-registration open for the swap meet. Having the pre-registration really helps.

14. krylon32

krylon32
    Alliance Vendor
    from Nebraska

Are there any contact numbers yet? I've had the same swap meet space for the last 2 years and would like to keep it if possible?

15. VonWegener

VonWegener

I think 2019 LARS will be great!

tofords likes this.
  16. PRE48V-8

PRE48V-8
    from H.G., CA

Just a thought to share regarding the input posted to this thread by 29AVEE8....

Don't we want people to not only 'bitch and complain' (let's call it 'constructive criticism') AND attend an event like this? How else can one who's participated at many LARS's in the past expect it's recent regression to subside? Sure, voicing concerns, likes/dislikes or expressing an opinion based on facts and experiences is no guarantee for change. But staying 'mum' on the matter or choosing to 'bow out' completely isn't going to help, either, and arguably will exacerbate the situation further. If you care, or have a concern, speak out and express your thoughts concerning these matters. When you do, it's best to be as 'quick to praise' as you are to criticize. We're all enthusiasts here and whether a swapper, participant, spectator or club member arguably the LARS belongs to everyone of us in some way, shape or form and it is all our responsibility (if we really care) to help shepherd it through this recent 'lackluster' period. Moving forward with a positive and proactive attitude, hopefully we can share our criticisms and praises here so that at the minimum the LARS survives and at the maximum, continues to thrive and grow. But it won't without feedback from those who attend along with acknowledgement of this feedback by the L.A. Roadster club members who are now once again in charge of managing their namesake event and more importantly, have the power to implement changes when needed (like today).

So keep on 'bitchin' and complaining', keep on participating until change (for the better) comes....PRE48V-8\:^]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Jim Bouchard and deucemac like this.
  17. I just got the official email back that I sent earlier today. This is copied right out of my email. This should answer all questions.

Laura Murphy <laura@rodshows.com>
    1:17 PM (7 hours ago)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    to me
    [​IMG]

Hello Ron,

That is true we will not be running the swap meet next year. The LA Roadster Club has decided to manage the show again. We mailed out letters yesterday with refund checks for the spaces that were pre-reserved. We have provided the club with all our maps and all the names & spaces of the swap meet vendors from the 2017 and 2018 shows.

The new contact for the swap meet will be Ken Butler of the LA Roadster Club. His phone number is 805-390-5187 or email is kbutlerconcrete@gmail.com.

Thank you!

18. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

I'm hoping to make it this year. Its been a few years since I have attended which is a few years too long. No such thing as a bad LA Roadsters Show.

Dean Lowe, Flathead Dave and deucemac like this.
  19. My plan was the 2018 show, but family issues prevented that. Already planning for 2019 show; as my wife volunteered for US Open in Pebble Beach that week, so know we're heading to California. She needs to go. Anyone know of airbnb or room she can rent in that area?