Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Kustoms blues? I need to see some kustoms....

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by straykatkustoms, Oct 6, 2014.

1. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Nice buffet of kustoms to look at this morning! Thanks all of you. My scanner is not connecting with my 'puter, so gotta get that working before I can get back to my stack of photos.

2. Mattimus

Mattimus

I'm not sure who this belongs to, but I have really been digging the clean headlight swap.
    [​IMG]

3. loudbang

loudbang

4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

They have always been around. You have to remember, NSRA only allowed up to 48. And there weren`t many national events that allowed anything past that. The first Merc Duce Reunion was in 79 and it was held every 5 years. For only 5 events being held. The first KKOA show was in 81 in Kansas. It was the editors of the magazines who featured them very little. Trust me I looked hard in the late 70`s for anything to do with customs.

5. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

This Olds was out of Cheyenne, Wyoming...can't remember the owner's name but it was a staple at nearly every rod run around Denver and the region for many years. Had hydraulics up front...used to flatten Coors beer cans with the front bumper...matter of fact, if you look close enough, it appears there is one under the front bumper in this photo...

R-

6. pgj

pgj
    from aurora co.

drdave, 54delray, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  7. rudestude

rudestude

I remember a feature in one of magazine's on the car that had a sequence of shots of it smashing a Coors can... I really like the tire and wheel combination on the car it fits the car great, the stance ..perfect.... here's the rest of the story...[​IMG]

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. rudestude

rudestude

I see that I didn't word that very well..the point I was shooting for was what you said about it being the magazine people not covering them I realize the cars were around, I was driving a mild Kustom 56 Buick and my friend's 51 chopped Merc. at that time and was a member of the Oregon Street Rod Association they went to 48 and I believe 71 or 72 on customs when ever I went to a NSRA event I took my 27 T Roadster.... It's all better for most everyone now day's....

9. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

10. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

11. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

Have someone run the CA license plate number for registered owner.

loudbang likes this.
  12. KustomLincolnLady

KustomLincolnLady

13. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

As far as I know, California will not do that, stopped doing that Looooooong ago. something to do with Stalkers, and Privacy. Only people I know that can do that are Police.
    Anyone else have a different idea? or does anyone actually know this car?

14. I've looked and will continue to do so but haven't come up with anything.
    I'm pretty sure that's a Mercury though.

15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

He built the car. Twenty Gallons that is.

16. loudbang

loudbang

You guys are good. :) would never have known myself :confused:

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  17. I meant no offense!
    I have a '52 Ford, now I want to know more about the mods to this one.
    The leading edge of the hood and grill surround look like Mercury.
    How did you do achieve this twenty gallons?

18. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

It was originally a 1952 ford that I put a Caprice front clip on, after I had run it a bit a friend sold me a complete front clip off a Mercury, Off course I put the front fenders, hood grille and bumper on it, that is where I found out the mercury is 3" longer than the ford, and it is ALL in the area in front of the cowl.. solution was to cut both entire front wheels well out and take a 2" slice out of the fender behind the wheel well, move the wheel well back 2" and put the 2" slice in front of it. If you find this car, you can verify what I just said by feeling in front and behind the wheel well, you will find vertical welded seams.

19. That's what I wondered. I was pretty sure the front area was Merc' but also know they don't directly interchange. Thanks for explaining.
    Any pics of the back? What tail lights did you use?

20. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

@twenty gallons, I shot pics of that car, (scanner not working now) at Back to the 50's in Minnesota. I was under the impression that it was owned by "Sonny" who was from MN and was buying up all sorts of customs. I'm sure others with specific knowledge of "Sonny" will chime in here.

21. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Tail lights look like top of '55 Packard. Continental wheel painted "FIRST LOVE". Twenty Gallons, can you also tell us about the reverse opening hood? Was it pancaked? I've got some open hood shots and I'll be damned if I can see a panel break line in the shot you posted above, .... but I assume it is there. Cool Car!!!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  22. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

Originally I had found a pair of 57 Lincoln rear half qtrs, welded them on but was unable to find lenses, so I bought a pair of 56 Packard clipper lenses and a pair of fiberglass fender ends that Butches Road Shop used to make, glassed the Packard fender ends on the fenders and then installed the packard lenses, the fender skirts can only be removed by pulling the inside rear armrests and unbolting skirts thru the body. the Connie "Kit" is a chrome wrap band off a Van camper trimmed to fit the tire and the mechanism is a Flat bar that pivots from a welded on and chromed part under the lip of the back bumper, which is upside down. all the stainless for the side windows is off a '60's chevy hardtop, except for the curved sidewindow piece and that was hand made then chromed, The engine that was in it was a 502 Cadillac, and turbo 400 Block, Heads and transmission were powdercoated Pearl blue, Intake was powder coated Hammered aluminum, differential was a 78 Cadillac disc posi unit everything I could unbolt off the frame and suspension was chromed. Lots of work with it, was Sold to a man back in Illinois about '94 or so, Have lost track of it since then.

'Mo, chryslerfan55, drdave and 7 others like this.
  23. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

Yes, Sonny was the man that I sold the car to, he put a "Watson" side badge on it and claimed it was a lost ISCA show car from the 50's... never would return my contacts, I have been told Sonny passed away a few years back.

24. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

'56 Packard clipper taillight lenses, I really like them, Have put them in several of my builds,

25. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

I painted that car and scalloped it back before I sold it then had it pinstriped at a Diamond Lake Custom Run back about 1994, It DIUD say "AWSUM" on the connie cover.

26. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Here are the scans from Back To The 50`s in Minnesota. If you look close, it has California plate. Sonny owned it at the time. So the plate on the pic posted before might be a fake. Man you guys are good at telling what parts are what. See the green in the background. I bet that pic was taken in Minnesota as well. Same day as well, see the yellow pickup in the background. Scan0530.jpg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  27. rudestude

rudestude

28. rudestude

rudestude

This was in the back of one of the magazine's I just went through under the heading" Young Guns "[​IMG]