Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Kustoms at Kustoms by the Sea

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 'Mo, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

Maybe next year I can make it. The Fonz would be right at home in N.J. looks like it was a great day.

2. seatex

seatex

Thanks, Mo. Looks like you have to have permission to view the page...........................(guess that's why I always sought forgiveness!)

3. 'Mo

'Mo

Thanks for the Heads-Up, seatex. I edited the post.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  4. 'Mo

'Mo

Jeff Ludwig showed his sharp '55 Chevy, which has been customized for more than 50 years.
    This photo doesn't capture the stunning meatalflake red paint job!

[​IMG]

Eric H and straykatkustoms like this.
  5. Eric H

Eric H

Thanks for sharing the great pics Mo, we hope to be there next year.

6. 'Mo

'Mo

Please do, Eric! How long can this much fun last, before it IMPLODES!?
    (I guess as long as everybody behaves, which they seemed to do!)

Eric H likes this.
  7. 'Mo

'Mo

I'm guessing this Stude coupe to be a '41 (?).

[​IMG]

The molded rear fenders are just plain luscious!
    (I wonder if the original Studebaker tail lights ended up on some '39 Ford.:))

[​IMG]

Hmmm. Maybe....?

[​IMG]

Nope, no Stude lenses here. Close, though!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  8. 'Mo

'Mo

This beautiful vintage mild custom '37 Ford was also displayed in the "Inner Circle".
    According to Kustomrama the car's builder, Harry Fry, painted the roadster driven by Steve McQueen in the movie "The Blob". (EDIT: Needs corroboration.)

[​IMG]

straykatkustoms and Eric H like this.
  9. 'Mo

'Mo

Unfinished cars were also welcome at the show.

[​IMG]

The Kvipt brothers were duly impressed with this bare metal (for now) Merc.
    It should be killer when finished!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another nice Merc at the show. Note heavily chopped top, flared front wheel wells, rounded rear hood corners.

[​IMG]

straykatkustoms likes this.
  10. 'Mo

'Mo

Of course, not all the cool Kustoms were in the show.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

straykatkustoms and Eric H like this.
  11. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

As I was leaving Saturday night for dinner, I saw the Rolling Bones guys leave in their panel truck. As they turned onto Rio Grande, the dude hammered it, took off, and the tailgate flew open, launching a cooler full of beer all over the road. IT WAS AWESOME.

12. 'Mo

'Mo

Was it you who barreled past us down the stairwell exclaiming "A GUY JUST DROPPED A WHOLE COOLER OF BEER IN THE STREET!!!!!!!!!"?
    Now, THAT was awesome!

13. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Great pics, Mo! You must have spent some time there...shoulda said "Hello!" I'd have liked to meet you.
    (Not sure about the Steve McQueen story, IIRC, he only drove a 54 Plymouth ragtop in "The Blob")

14. Great coverage! I've got to make this event next year. This is everything I love in customs and hot rods.

15. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Classy Kustoms and bad-ass hot rods....it doesn't get much better...

Attached Files:

16. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Yes,its really cool coverage.Thanks for sharing all the pics!

17. So the Iron Lords made the trek up from Charlotte NC with 5 cars. We had one catastrophic failure on Sinticket's '40 Ford 2 door sedan. Other than that we did the trip with no real issues at all.
    Kustomrama did a great job pulling these cars together. We will be back again next year.
    A few pics;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BloodyKnuckles

18. 'Mo

'Mo

Next time for sure, chopolds!
    Yeah, I was wondering about that steve McQueen story myself. I'll have to check the source for clarification. (Sondre???)

Amen, Guys! As was posted earlier, the Kustoms were the "Little Half" of the show. There was some antique gold on Hot Rod end of the beach!

Part of what was great about the show is the fact that it was in an Off-season beach town, making it much more of a participant event than a spectator event. Let's see what the future holds!

19. 'Mo

'Mo

That's what I'm talkin' about! There was a lot I missed with the camera. Thanks for helping fill in the blanks
    with the great photos and commentary.

If you guys have any more, please post 'em up.

(Did anyone get a shot of the chopped shoe box Ford with the '54 Merc tail lights I saw rolling in on Sunday?
    Or the Clarkaiser built '54 Ford?)

20. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

The Clarkaiser built '54 Ford is owned by fattymcguire here on the HAMB. His brother Jay built the chopped shoebox with the '54 Merc tail lights and '58 Ford side trim. Both real good dudes and custom guys to the core.

21. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Haha, No, that wasn't me. I was driving down the street towards downtown to grab dinner, trying my best not to crash into something while laughing my ass off. It was quite a sight to see. That panel truck sounded LEGIT.

22. The 36 belongs to Mark Morton of Hop Up fame.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for including the pic's of my 40. I wanted to put my other set of wheels and tires on it for this event but some last minute thrashing put me behind so I had to leave the Halibrand's on it.

jakespeed63 likes this.
  23. fryguy

fryguy

I can vouch for the Steve McQueen Blob story. That '37 is mine which was built by my great uncle, Jack Fry. He built and painted a lot of hot rods in the 50's and 60's in the Phoenixville, Spring City, Royersford, Pottstown area. In the movie, there is a scene were all the rods are in front of the grocery store and another scene towards the end when they have the Monster corned in the diner. Kids roll up in a little Roadster picup, and a Salmon colored 40 ford. My uncle painted both those cars. The little roadster is the Rexroad roadster out of Spring City, Pa. My buddy owns it now but its in bad shape, it sat in a leaky barn for 30 years. The 40 was Tom Scholl's out of Chester SPrings, Pa. It was sold to Pete Peterman who raced it at Maple Grove. Pete sold it to Alan Hein who owns it now.

Here is what the '40 looks like now
    [​IMG]
    Here is scene from the movie. The girl is sitting in the passenger side of the roadster. It actually still has that Steering wheel on it today. The Salmon 40 Ford is to the right of it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    GreenMonster48 likes this.
  24. Brentphx

Brentphx

How cool is that! I'd love to know my car was a part of history like that, even if it's just background in one scene. Looks like it was a great show, thanks everyone for adding the pics! Lets the rest of us live vicariously...

25. 'Mo

'Mo

Thanks for the clarification, fryguy. (The original Kustomrama report had McQueen driving the roadster, hence the confusion.) And thanks for bringing that beautiful '37 to the show for all to see and enjoy!

26. 'Mo

'Mo

Speaking of '37 Ford's at the show, here are a couple more, from the rodder's row.
    (I love '37's!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also caught a quick glimpse of what may have been a 1938 four door phaeton cruising the street. Black with a white top, perfect stance, and too beautiful for words!
    Does anyone know, or have photos of this car?

27. 'Mo

'Mo

A couple more shots while I'm at it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I really like the simple scallops on this Chevy. Nice job welding up the two piece hood,
    complimented by the one piece (Olds?) windshield.

28. fryguy

fryguy

Mo, I have to say I probably added to the confusion when I was corresponding with Sondre at Kustomrama. You are correct, Steve McQueen was not driving the roadster but the blue Plymouth convertible. I apologize for the confusion.

29. It's so rad that the East Coast has a vibe all it's own. Bitchin' display of rides. That
    deep channeled A coupe is top shelf!! Interior is completely ridiculous. :cool::cool:
    Watched Cody's wagon all through the build. One word..., speechless!
    Blob was one of my favorite monster movies, as a kid. Wild connection to all this. :D
    We all likes the KustomRama webpage :confused::D:)
    JT

30. flyin-t

flyin-t

Norm Grabowski's old slant cab.
    IMG_2017_zpsc2adf48c.jpg