Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kustomers first aluminum casting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coffin creeper, Nov 5, 2007.

1. coffin creeper

coffin creeper

At our monthly meeting last night we did our first greensand casting. I don't think they turned out to bad for being the first ones we ever did. We have to fine tune the molds, by finding the perfect mix for the sand and clay. In all, casting frick'n rules. The day before I did a little test casting to make sure everything would work, but it is not nearly as cool as at night because it dosen't glow in the daylight. We made two small shift knobs to start with. More is only to come!

Kustomers Rule!!!

Attached Files:

2. tjm73

tjm73

3. Hey Creeper~ Do you have pictures of how you built you furnace and burner? I really dig the trash can approach. I've done a bit of casting myself and the thing that keeps me from doing it at home is the lack of a furnace. Any info would be great. By the way NICE work.

4. tjm73

tjm73

5. choptruck

choptruck

Those are some really good pics, you must have hired a professional photographer.

6. way cool! I'm right behind you, I mixed up two batches of castable refractory yesterday for my five gallon metal bucket furnace. Already have a crucible and lifting tools made- similar in design to yours, but smaller. I'm hoping to layout the oven this week and pour the refractory next weekend.

7. coffin creeper

coffin creeper

I will post some pics of the whole set up when I get back from vacation. The cheapest and most portable furnace or kiln basically is just a metal trash can lined with a refractory ceramic fiber called "Cer-wool" made by Vesuvius. Check ceramic suppliers they should carry something similar if not the same brand. I had some left over from years ago when I made a kiln similar to this one for firing low temperature pots. I had just enough left to make this one. If you keep it dry it will last for good length of time. Some idiot with a severe lazy eye took the pictures!!!!!

Attached Files:

8. Sawracer

Sawracer
    from socal

Bitchin, I got the bug too and am going propane soon also. casting is big fun.

9. coffin creeper

coffin creeper

Here are some pics of the kiln or furnace. Just a large metal trash can lined with ceramic fiber. I drilled multiple pairs of 1/8th inch holes around the can and lid and used iron wire poked through and twisted to hold it. I cut a hole in the lid to help control the draft and keep in heat. You can decide to not use the lid but you will use quite a bit more fuel and it will take longer to reach melting temperatures. I got a weber grill lower grate and welded on some 1 inch angle for extra support and to space the crucilble up from the bottom so the burner will fit. I drilled holes in the bottom of the can so the grate support legs would set on the ground and not the thin can bottom. The weight of the crucible along with the heat used would surpass the strentgh of the can floor. The grate itself already has a little sag to it. The crucible is schedule 80 pipe so it is virtually indestructable when doing aluminum.

Attached Files:

10. millerkustoms

millerkustoms

I really like your furnace idea, but could you add a close up of how you built you burner. Are you using anything to accelerate the air going through the burner? Oh and what are your melt times like?

11. Rand Man

Rand Man

I love it. Casting is one of the things on my big "to-do" list. My Grandfather was a pattern maker and I feel like it's in my blood.

12. coffin creeper

coffin creeper

The burner I have was used on a natural gas ceramic salt kiln. I got it from my old ceramic connections, they changed the kiln and only reused four of the six burners. I think the orfice hole is to big because it was made for natural gas pressure not propane. On the back of the burner is a plate that screws in and out, but it does not make huge difference when adjusted accept when closed completely. I used a high pressure propane regulator but it does not come out with force or bright blue flame color of say a weed burner, it is a small blue flame and a longer lazy red flame. As is it takes about 15 minutes until pour temperature. The bigger burner also made it a fun trip to the store for fittings as you can see. There are plans for making a burner on www.backyardmetalcasting.com or you can use a weed burner tip made for propane, I know harbor freight tools carries them. Mine was free so thats what I used, and 15 minutes is not that long it takes alot longer packing the cope and drag.

Attached Files:

13. millerkustoms

millerkustoms

Thanks for the quick response, I was curious because we are using a design similar to the one on backyard metal casting and we have about a 30 minute melt time.

14. coffin creeper

coffin creeper

Here is one of the shift knobs we cast. choptruck just sanded a little and hit it with the buffer to see how it cleaned up and I think it cleans up great. he is going to finish cleaning it up and use it in his car. not bad for scrap aluminum!! Now everyone in the club is totally hooked.

Attached Files:

15. coffin creeper

coffin creeper

pic was to big, denied!

Attached Files:

16. Chuck-A-Burger Ryan

Chuck-A-Burger Ryan

You guys need to get out more..:D Just Kidding very cool. Make a bunch and sell 'em at the next Bomb Run. The Kustomers and the Bombers need to get together for a Rumble...maybe bowling.:p

Ryan

17. ditz

ditz

DO NOT let any liquid anywhere near molten aluminum. It will explode like a bomb and kill you. If you are working in your garage it will probably demolish your whole shop and part of your house. Very, Very dangerous. Never add a soft drink can to the molten metal. One drop of water in the can will ruin your day but will make your wife a rich widow if you have good life insurance. Did I say be carefull????:(

18. I made my furnace similar, except I put in a large flowerpot, and concrete in between the can and pot. The flowerpot was a perfect size for my smaller steel trash can. I also made a 3" ring out os sheetmetal, put it in the lid, and poured concrete in there, too. I got the book from www.backyardmetalcasting.com. I haven't used it yet, waiting for it to get cold outside. It's the middle of November, and it's still been in the 80s!

The book I got, I just substituted a trash can for the popcorn can.
    http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/book_fp.html

Here's a video I shot when our metal shop club did some casting.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187300&highlight=casting+session

19. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

Great Post!!!!!

20. choptruck

choptruck

Hey Ditz, are you for real about the soft drink thing? Like a Mr.Pibb or a slurpee or something? I'm busting up typing this right now trying to respond to that! Why on Earth would anyone even think to pour a "soft drink" in with whatever they are casting?? Our club can appreciate the warnings and all, but a "soft drink"???? Oh God I'm gettin a cramp!!!

21. choptruck

choptruck

Hey Ditz, I apologize, I read your post too quick. I understand you meant the can. Whew, what a gut buster. My bad , sorry again.

22. littlechris

littlechris
    from MILWAUKEE

AHA. Nobody died in the foundry at school a few weeks ago..... And that kid put the can in upsidedown!