Register now to get rid of these ads!

KUSTOM guys check in here, please.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50mercfan, Nov 22, 2003.

1. the ed roth post is great so i thought i would try one on kustoms or customs which ever you prefer. whats your favorite and why? mine is the hirohata merc,i know, kinda cliche but thats the one that does it for me. the moonglow is a close 2nd.

2. =mike=

=mike=

I think when the Barris's started cutting up the 49/50 mercurys is my favorite era in customising . maybe even late 40's , due to cars like the Matranga merc and the Lopez ford . I like the clean unclutered style of letting the bodylines and flow of the metal tell the story , rather that obnoxious paintjobs and cartoon scoops and bodywork done just for the sake of doing it ( winning car shows with the most things done to a car . . . ) Anyhow I like that time , the " organic years " where the cars looked like big jelly beans , seamless , flowing , no barbs or hickups . Shit like this . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. =mike=

=mike=

. . .

[image]http://www.sacredkarts.org/karts/joe's-49-merc-03.jpg[/image]

4. Ron

Ron

It is so hard to pick one there are so many great ones. I would have to say Moonglow and Grapevine(the first couple styles before the wild paint) are right up at the top.

5. Anything from Valley Customs, good looks and class and smoooooth. Bertolucci was also a customizing god. Some early Barris stuff while Sam was still around.

6. Duane Steck's Moonglow for sure. It is a kustom that a "normal" person could have built w/ the help of a body man friend.

I love Barris' stuff...but it was almost too much. They were the "gold chainer" cars of yesterday.

Watson's cars were amazing as well. These were the good old days (coming from a guy who is a wopping 25 yrs. old). Paint was cheap. Shop labor was cheap. Joe Average could have a killer paint job and actually afford to feed his family.

Attached Files:

7. shoebox72

shoebox72

My all time favorite custom is Chuck DeWitts 50 ford convertible. I'm superised no one has built a clone fo it. What ever happened to the original car? anyone?

Billy

8. Not much of a custom guy but the Westergard 36, 3 window with LaSalle grille is my favorite....less is more.

9. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

My favorite is Stuckey's original version of the L'il Coffin.
    Second is the Ala Kart.
    Then comes the Hirohata Merc.
    JIm

10. Oh man, favorite Kustom, Hmmmmm................that's a tough one! There are so many great ones. Here's a list of my Top 10 favorites.

1. Paul "Snooky" Janich's '41 Ford
    2. Buster Litton's '49 Ford
    3. Buddy Alcorn's '50 Merc
    4. Bill Carr's '55 Chevy--"Aztec"
    5. Johnny Zupan's '56 Ford F-100
    6. Clif Inman's '57 Chrysler
    7. Mike Young's '60 Impala
    8. Hub Harness' '60 Buick--"Cinnamon"
    9. Hub Harness' '59 El Camino
    10. The last kustom on my list I don't know the owner's
    name. It is a '56 Chevy that is white with gold
    scallops. It has '60 Chrysler taillights, dual lake
    pipes on each side, and a '56 Lincoln front bumper
    (I think). It also had an Auto Butchers E.L.A. plaque
    in it. I saw it last year in Paso and it really kooled
    my heels!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Anyone got pictures of the Matador (40 Ford, I think) ???

I really dig that car...forgot who built it at the moment, but I liked the way it was squeezed, pinched and blended into something wicked cool!! One of my favorite 40 Fords of all time!!

12. .......and Nick Matranga's 40 Merc coupe...

13. el matador was built by bill cushionberry in 1960. buster lintons ford is definatly one of the best shoeboxes everbuilt, and also leroy goularts winfield built shoebox. the hirohata is starting to get into the over customized category but for some reason, to me, it all works.

14. Sailor

Sailor

We have done this a bunch of times, but at least I get to show my screensaver for several years one more time..

This is my favorite era; the late fifties when Larry Watson ruled it all.

Otherwise,
    Early kustoms: The Buddy Ohnesian Merc, the Matranga Merc and Harry Ogdens 41 Buick.
    Early fifties-mid fifties: Moonglow 54 Chevy, and most of the 49-51 Mercs the Barris bros touched.
    Late fifties: wild: Cushenberrys Marquise
    Mild: everything Watson, the black James' 57 Buick, Floyd DeBoers 58 Poncho and a bunch of others.

Attached Files:

15. I luvs em all!

But top of the list is one that's got a little something from pretty much each and every one of the old time Kustom artisans is the R&C Dream Truck.

Attached Files:

16. mike, where did you get that pic of the alcorn car? lancaster?

17. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

My all time kustom is the el matador and Lenny leger from mass. Built a 49-50 ford with quad headlights and edsel tailights chopped right down. It was rightous!

Attached Files:

18. manyolcars

manyolcars

I only have one car that is a Kustom, so of course it is my favorite. It was built in Missouri in the late 50s or early 60s. We bought it running and driving for $57 in 1967 and drove it a couple of years with no problems. My best friend took the flathead out and it has been sitting a long time. I had to cut down 3 12 inch pine trees to liberate it. 1950 Ford

19. manyoldcars, how about some pics of the ford?

20. DRD57

DRD57

21. Glen

Glen

Yep, Drd57 pretty much covered it... any of Bones' stuff is
    usually on my list.

22. Sailor

Sailor

That first white Impala on Dons page has it all.

23. drd57 great link. those two shoe box fords are awsome. and bones notebooms stuff rules too. hope your feeling better.