Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Kustom From Outer Space..France calling.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ratatouille, Sep 3, 2014.

1. unforgiven

unforgiven
    from East Tn

Sounds like you are doing better. Love your car and your spirit. Keep moving forward.

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thoroughly enjoyed the video of her...I mean of the car. Ooh la la!

3. LAROKE

LAROKE

ACES! It's also nice to be introduced to "The Girl". The Fregate was frumpy in it's natural state but you have the Kustom Kar styling down solid! It's great to see you posting again.

Cosmo49, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  4. pitman

pitman

Always leaves us with a promise, of what can be done. Thanks

Stogy and Ratatouille like this.
  5. Ratatouille

Ratatouille
    from France

I hope you enjoy your summer, and don't forget to check sometimes my youtube channel, a lot of new videos ;), the last one....

Outback, Stogy, Cosmo49 and 5 others like this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have a Great Heart and are full of Good Spirit @Ratatouille. So happy to see you bouncing back from such a serious situation...Fregate has moved on but you have other Iron to keep the Hotrod/Custom vibe flowing...this is all good because we know you are still with us making waves together...;)

Outback, outagas1961, Cosmo49 and 3 others like this.
  7. Ratatouille

Ratatouille
    from France

Thank you Stogy for your great message:).

Stogy likes this.
  8. Ratatouille

Ratatouille
    from France

9. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Hello Rata!
    First you are an inspiration to many here not only for your car building skills but for how you are handling your health issues. I hope you mend up soon and want to thank you for the videos and most of all your inspirational attitude. Keep the videos coming! And by the way, the girl is cool too!

Stogy, LAROKE and Ratatouille like this.
  10. Ratatouille

Ratatouille
    from France

Thanks Michael for your message, gift, for you;) For-the-hamb.jpg

11. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Thank you too! Now that’s what we call a beautiful hood ornament!

Ratatouille and Stogy like this.
  12. Ratatouille

Ratatouille
    from France

Hello Hamb people, i hope life goes on, and you have fun. I have bought a 1962 T-Bird for my girl, and i'm gonna made a smooth custom on this car. I have check all the web to find some other picture of one metal flake car from Barris. The only picture i have found is that one: ford-thunderbird-custom-barris-doing-final-paint-1963_34825878.jpg
    My girl want exactly the same color, a kind of a Yellow Flake paint. Is it that car was Yellow or Gold (and yellow under sunshine, or modified picture). I never seen other picture from that car finished......maybe someone can tell me or show me more?......link about our project, day one.

13. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Good to hear from you again Rat, good luck on the new project for “The Girl “ her smile says it all.

14. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

What a great project car. Solid as well.
    Looking forward to watching the transformation. You’re gal is a keeper!

15. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool car for a Kustom build . Your Girl’s smile says it all , great job . Amazing videos.

Stogy, Tow Truck Tom and Ratatouille like this.
  16. j hansen

j hansen

Just for inspiration....
    Skärmavbild 2022-12-14 kl. 15.11.27.png Skärmavbild 2022-12-14 kl. 15.10.50.png

17. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Congratulations! If you create a separate build thread, please post the link here.

Stogy, Ratatouille and Outback like this.
  18. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I was following your build but somehow missed the last 18 months of updates.
    So glad you are still here & it warms my heart to hear of you passing on the batton to the next Gen!

Stogy, Ratatouille and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  19. That is the Barris-built 'Styleline' '61 T-bird, although a later version of it. Commissioned by the AMT model corporation to promote model sales, that car is credited with providing the inspiration for the Ford Custom Car Caravan. AMT's marketing director Budd Anderson was known to use it as his personal car when it wasn't on tour.

Photos of the car are rare for some reason. I don't believe it was ever featured in a magazine although random pics of it showed up here and there. It did appear in some AMT advertising and some car show coverage. I believe it was reworked three times, the yellow/gold metalflake version was number two. I also believe that at one time a model kit of it was available, although which version I can't say. The picture you posted was from a R&C cover photo shoot IIRC ('63?).

61 bird.jpg

This is the only color pic of version one I could turn up.

20. I can also explain your flashing headlights. Someone has replaced them with euro-spec assemblies (looks like Cibies), these draw too much current for the internal circuit breaker in the OEM light switch on high beam. Easy fix is separate the inner high beams from the as-installed wiring and power those through a relay. The switch can handle two lamps, just not all four. Now, this may have damaged the circuit breaker. If the outer lights stay on with the inners unplugged, the switch is still good.

Stogy, Ratatouille, OahuEli and 3 others like this.
  21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sir @Ratatouille ...
    I don't think that I had seen your thread.
    I just spent the last hour or more catching up with you.
    (I lost track of time) :)
    I feel like I've been riding a roller coaster following your ups and downs.
    Boy oh boysenberries!
    Well... you're my new hero.
    I swear, you must be part Superman, and definitely part John Milner. LOL
    I want to wish the very best to you and yours and to thank you for sharing and being such an inspiration, both physically and in spirit.
    Oh yeah...
    And of course, the best Christmas and a very Happy New Year. :D

22. Mr.@ratatouille, you are an amazing artist (regular DaVinci that is) and I just love the new project. Always remember, never make a woman angry, ever.

Stogy, Ratatouille and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  23. Ratatouille

Ratatouille
    from France

Thank you guys for your great messages, it fills me with joy. Thanks Crazy Steve for the picture and history about that yellow T-Bird. Maybe is this one no? 48826e55f67294b4c5801adb0dd07b25.jpg

Peanut 1959, Okie Pete, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  24. Ratatouille

Ratatouille
    from France

By the way, i'm confused about this picture.......i don't think that the painter is George Barris......it looks like Larry Alexander......Am i wrong? Someone can tell me exactly who is this guy? I have try to find the Rod and Custom cover, but no matches......[​IMG]

Larry Alexander: 400px-Larry-alexander-painting.jpg

Okie Pete, Stogy and Outback like this.
  25. That's the first, red version as seen in the small pic I posted. Version two had the yellow metalflake paint, a grill/taillight change, and the rear wheel openings radiused to match the fronts. Version three was a re-paint to replace the now-failing metalflake paint (in Candy blue IIRC). Those early metalflake jobs used clear lacquer to suspend the flake (which was much larger than what is used now) and the paint could easily get to be 1/16" or more thick. The paint would chip if you looked at it wrong with the brittle lacquer, plus it would 'check' as the paint shrunk.

The thing with the early metalflake was the light you saw it under. Looked great in very bright light or sunlight, not nearly as impressive under dimmer light. Most also had a very pebbly finish like the worst orange peel you ever saw. If you wanted a smooth finish, that meant another 10 or so coats of clear to bury the flake and a ton of block sanding. And the paint got even thicker, so more prone to chipping or checking.

26. j hansen

j hansen

27. j hansen

j hansen

28. Rat, my best christmas wishes to you and your lady. I'm sure your T-Bird will come out really cool and unique as your last project did! i stay tuned.... ;) Cheers with a cold one from Sweden!

upload_2022-12-24_11-2-11.png

Ratatouille, Stogy and Outback like this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Goodtimes @Ratatouille...keep on smiling...the T-Bird is going to be fun what a nice inspiration you're eyeing...all the best...a wish for Peace and Happiness this Holiday Season...;)

Ratatouille likes this.
  30. Ratatouille

Ratatouille
    from France

Yes J Hansen, i have read on the net the same thing, but when i see Georges Barris younger, i'm sure that the man who paint (seems to...for the picture of course) the car in Yellow flake, doesn't matches with mister Barris....who's is that guy?
    ? 2E27865E00000578-3306169-image-a-9_1446771649199.jpg

Okie Pete, Gambler 1962 and egads like this.