Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs kustom cars of australia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RI5KY, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Wardog

Wardog

I put my wife and kids in a 65 Galaxie daily driver a few months ago.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

2. Wardog

Wardog

All welded up.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

3. koolkemp

koolkemp

Ohh ya !! What are you running for chassis stuff ?

4. Figured there's never gonna' be enough of us Kiwi custom builders to have our own thread, and knowing the great affection the Australians have for us:D, I thought I'd tag on to this one.

Around twenty years back, I built this horrible thing out of a '54 Vauxhall 4-door sedan. It was all I could afford at the time, and the bulk of the work was done in around a month on the back lawn of my flat. Chopped 4 and a half inches in front and 5 and a half in back. 2-doored, doors lengthened 7 inches, pillars leaned, nosed , decked, peaked, de-chromed, drip rails removed, all the corners rounded, front and rear fenders extended and headlights frenched. It was all done as a bit of a piss-take, but first time out it won a prize, and everyone seemed to like it, so we took it back home and tore it apart.

Built a whole new frame with Holden Sunbird front end, 10 bolt rear, tri-carbed 350 and glide, channeled 3 inches, new rockers, re-shaped wheel openings, custom skirts, reworked Holden bumpers, custom grille - in fact the only piece left untouched was about 2 square feet in the middle of the roof.[​IMG]

Not the best of photos unfortunately (scanned) and the paint scheme can be blamed on the ex-wife (wife at the time:rolleyes:). It did get a De Soto grille after this photo.:cool:

For those who are lucky enough to have never seen a stock '54 Vauxhall, this is pretty much what it started off as.

[​IMG]

Anyway, when the wife became the ex-wife , she took the car with her. Had a chance to buy it back for 10k a few years ago (been thru' a few owners by then) and my lovely new wife was quite keen, but it was fairly neglected, and it was a case of all it needed was everything:eek:, and I figured if I was gonna' do all that again, we may as well get something worthwhile to start with.

Besides, I don't seem to have that kind of energy any more...

Bear:)

5. Wardog

Wardog

Koolkemp. I bought it as an unfinnished project that had been past around unfinnished for about 20 or so years. It came to me on what i think was an International truck chassis. I have put it on a (GM) HQ Holden ute chassis that I cut the centre out of and fabbed to suit the taper of the 46 rather than the square holden. I pretty much just used the front end, rear step up (which has been extended and stepped down) and ten bolt rear end. I also added 10" to the wheel base when I made the 4 link (Jag coil overs). The HQ swap is common in Australia I think it is simmilar to the chev s10 swap. Not 100% traditional but the doner chassis was $50 and the right trak width. I has a 351 Cleveland and FMX drive train. You can see what the rear looked like and how high it sat in the photo.

Attached Files:

6. koolkemp

koolkemp

I think it looks great Wardog , it looks great that low , with the chop and the lenght of the bed, looks awesome I really gotta think about building some kind of Ute based custom .I built thie Chevy here about 10 or so years ago from a 4 door 48 , was more of a pickup than a Ute but it was fun and I miss it! Had it on the road for about 2K ....

[​IMG]

7. Wardog

Wardog

Wow man. It takes alot of work to end up with a pick up out of a 4 door. Any thing on the road for 2k is a pretty good effort.