Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Kuch Roadster Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy Kid, Nov 5, 2010.

1. A few months back a gentleman named Ted Kucher came into the shop and asked if we would be interested in building a rolling chassis for his 32 Roadster. Of course I said sure, however at the time we were having a fundraiser car wash at the shop so it was a little hectic and there wasnt much time to talk, so we agreed to set a future date and discuss his project. A few days later Ted came back and explained how he wanted to build a late 40's roadster!
    To say I was excited was an understatement, as I love late 40's roadsters and was currently building a 29 roadster for my self that is very much the same idea as Ted wanted for his 32.
    After a few more meetings we decided it was time to start this project, and Ted started bringing me his parts.

We started out with a set of American Stamping rails, a 32 K member and model A front and rear crossmembers.
    Ted wanted to box the entire chassis, and I did not as I feel it really hurts the late 40's look, plus with the K member it would be a lot more simple to mount it. I mean, you can mount it just like factory, and do not have to cut, or modify anything. So we met in the middle and boxed the rear section from the K member back. I don't know if there is much of an advantage to only boxing the rear, but hey, it gives you something to mount the rear shocks to. :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. From there I built some motor mounts and mocked up the 39 tranny and 8BA flathead. The engine is stock as of now, but will be running a set of Canadian Aluminum 59A heads, Isky 88 Cam and either a Thickstun PM7, or Edelbrock slingshot intake.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the first mock up picture with the body mounted and the 40 ford rear end rolled under.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More pics to some soon, photobucket is loading...

3. Being that it is a glass body, the firewall was smooth, and recessed to make room for the standard small block chevy, there was a HUGE gap between the back of the engine, and the firewall. It just didn't look right so I fabbed up a new "32 style" firewall to fill the space.
    [​IMG]

For the front suspension Ted was originally going to run a superbell axle and hairpins, however that just wouldnt be late 40's so obviously that had to go. My good friend Matt had a couple 32 Heavy Axles and some 32 wishbones, so Ted made a deal with him and the axle was sent down to Okie Joes to be dropped.
    So since I was waiting for the front axle, I decided to go on with the body and build the hood.
    I started with Rootlieb hood sides and then built a one piece top.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. By the time I was finished up with the hood, the axle came back, so in it went and finally we could get a real look at what the stance will be!
    Front tires are 600/16, that will be changed out for 500/5.25's, and rears are 700/16.
    [​IMG]

40 Ford brakes all around
    [​IMG]

With ted happy with the stance, I blew the car apart again, and finished up all the welding and chassis fab that needed to be done.
    Here is the rolling chassis mostly finished.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. 94hoghead

94hoghead

beautiful! I love it already...

6. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

7. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Very cool project. Nice job on the firewall, looks much better.

8. For rear shocks, my good friend Matt came up with the idea of mounting model A shocks to the inside of the frame rails, and mounting them to the wishbones. Ted loved the idea, so of course we went with it.
    [​IMG]

For the front Ted wanted tube shocks and F-1 mounts, and his headlights real low on a 32 bar. This was what we originally did.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

However Ted wanted the headlights even lower, so the front shocks were changed out for model A shocks to give us more clearance.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. For the steering box we went with an F-1, modified to fit, and then I fabbed up a little flange for more support that bolts to the outside.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The body is now back on the chassis, and hopefully if the weather holds up Ted will be driving this home by the end of the month!
    For the first year Ted just wants to drive the car unpainted to work out all the bugs, and then next winter it will come apart for paint, chrome and speed goodies.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats all for now, I'll keep you posted as progress continues!

10. HotRod33

HotRod33

I like the frontend setup .............. going to be a very nice looking car........

11. Thanks guys!

12. Nice work Lee!! Cool to see some Traditional cars being built in Edmonton.

13. Thanks but I can't take all the credit, Ted and Matt have put just as much thought and work into this car as I have!

There is more and more traditional hot rodders coming out of the wood work up here, which is a good thing, I think :eek:

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Take that out in the country and find an old barn to photograph it by, use B&W film and tell everyone it's an old hot rod that was put away years ago and just rediscovered. I'm willing to bet not many will argue with you about the authenticity. Great job on a traditional build.

Frank

15. moter

moter

Looking good! Who makes the body?

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

AWESOME MAN!!!! That looks great and it's really coming along. It's nice to see some glass bodies built right.

I'd leave the 6.00 Firestones up front. They are just as appropriate for a 40's type roadster and look way better then 5.00's. Just my .02

17. Troyz

Troyz

Nice looking build Lee. Looks like you're doing well...glad to see it!

18. Great Build! and I agree with Jeffrey

19. I'm not 100% sure but I think the body is a Raven? Ted picked it up around 10 years ago in Billings Montana

I like the 600's also, and thats what i'm running on my roadster. Ted really likes the Bob McGee Roadster, especially the stance, and the Mcgee roadtser has 500's. It should drop the front about another inch.

Thanks Troy. I was just looking at your RPU the other day, looks like it's coming along great! I'm keeping myself busy up here, but I'm not gonna lie, I miss Bakersfield a lot.

20. ***UPDATE***

So the taillights are now mounted
    [​IMG]

Most of the mechanical is finished to the engine, just add gas and a wire to the coil and it should go!
    [​IMG]

Column and wheel are in, still have to fab a column drop up.
    [​IMG]

Picked up a repo 34 ford tranny cover. Going to extend it to cover the torque tube, and then build some sort of floor board. The glass floor was tunneled for a TH350 and looked like hell, so it was all cut out.
    [​IMG]

Almost ready to go, only 20 more days until it has to be driving and roadworthy!
    [​IMG]

21. ChrisBorsheim

ChrisBorsheim

Awesome work and moving quick!

22. hasty

hasty

Looking good. Sorry we will not see it in paint for a while

23. sololobo

sololobo

Looking great bro, nice taste in the build. More is less! ~Sololobo~

24. Thanks everyone

25. Well here is the latest update on the Kuch Roadster. It's still not quite finished, still some wiring, gauges and some little stuff, but it did hit a pretty good milestone today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bVj5Ddh53I

I took it for a quick drive in the parking lot. No video though as all my friends have lives and were not around on a friday at 11:30 pm to video tape me driving haha. Oh yea, and it's -17 out :eek: Perfect roadster weather!

26. Looks killer with no screen!!! great job.
    Who made that 34 trans cover?? I like it.

27. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks for posting the vid. This is one great roadster in the making, very nice work! Looking forward to the progress.

28. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

Looking good. I like the inboard rear shocks. Looking forward to following your progress.

-17? I'll have to quit whining about it being 15 at night here.

29. The Trans cover is repo from George Moir Antique Auto in Stoney Plain Alberta. I modified it to cover the huge opening where the glass floor was tunneled.

[​IMG]

Thanks guys.

Here is the car, after it DROVE back in to the shop :D

[​IMG]

30. Well time for another update...

Windshield is mounted with glass now
    [​IMG]

Trunk latch is done, battery tray is mounted
    [​IMG]

Floor is finished up, spoon pedal is in and hooked up
    [​IMG]

Seat is mounted. Glide seats are pretty slick!
    [​IMG]

Gauges are in, but still need to be hooked up.
    [​IMG]

I just finished for the night on it. Just doing some wiring now. Brake lights work, ignition is all hooked up. Wires are run for the taillights and license plate light. Tomorrow install the headlight switch and wire up the headlights and gauges. Install a horn and wire it up. Then take it for a shake down run, make sure everything is working properly.
    Monday it goes in for exhaust, Tuesday it goes in for it's inspection. Then it goes to Teds garage! I think it may actually make the November 30th deadline :eek: