Register now to get rid of these ads!

Krylon Rattle Can Flake REVIEW

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 60galaxieJJ, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

It really does in the sun. Difference is night and day.

2. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

3. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

After 12 cans and an uneven finish, I gave up on doing my roof. But I figured smaller things would be the way to go. So I thought I would start with the dash. I'm really please with the way it turned out. I ended up doing several clear coats, wet sanding in between each coat.

4. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

dash looks good. btw i had posted a while back in this thread about it running like HELL. it must have been a bad can. havent had any trouble with this stuff other than that one can

5. von birch

von birch

the roof is a pretty big project to tackle, but if you do try larger things, maybe try a random misting on the final coats. with diagonal strokes and stuff. randomness is sometimes the key to uniformity...keeps from getting into "ruts" from repeating side to side coats.

6. RayMiller

RayMiller

That looks killer!

7. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

Rattle can clear?

8. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

I didn't even mess with clear, I couldn't get it to lay down even by itself. The spray coverage is so tiny, it took a ridiculous amount of time, and I only had half the roof done, and the trunk lid. I say if you're doing a roof, just go with a regular flake. I've heard you can shoot smaller flakes with a regular gun, could probably get a different tip to accommodate larger flake too.

9. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

Thanks, it took me about 2 and a half cans, and a whole can of clear. DEFINITELY worth it.

10. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

Oh I was referring to the dash. If/when I do the roof, it will be the real deal Holyfield!

11. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

That dash is beautiful!

12. bstie

bstie

I agree that dash looks killer! the chrome looks great! the color looks great!I will have to give this a try.

13. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

Oh shoot, yeah, krylon rattle can clear. Seemed to work alright.

14. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Only issue Ive had, some rattle can clears never really harden up. Have some on my pinstripe brush box, and on a hot day I laid a shirt down over it for a few minutes and the clear tried to hold onto my shirt, so now there is a fuzzy area in it... beware.

15. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

did you use the Glitter Blast Clear or just the plain jane Krylon clear?

16. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

Plane jane clear. I'm giving it at least a month (not joking) to dry. I painted a guitar (not a car) a couple years ago, and it literally took about a month and a half to FULLY cure. Although I put about 9 coats of clear on it... :D I put about 7 coats on this. But I'm not going to put the car back together anytime too soon, so that's kind of a good thing. I'm curious to see how durable it is once it's fully cured.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  17. Choptop

Choptop

there is a two part rattle can clear. Its expensive though ~$15-18 can. You turn it over, break a seal inside the can with a little do-hickey and spay away. The downside is after about 12 hours is sets up in the can. One time use only. But it hardens up REAL well. Depending on the size of the project and your drying time (weather and such) you can get a couple of coats per can.

this one claims pot life 48 hours...
    http://www.eastwood.com/spray-max-2...ag&utm_medium=Merchant-Centre&SRCCODE=1SE0757

18. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

I just did my mini bike gas tank and fender with the red. Working on finishing the clear over it. Pics will be up soon

19. 94hoghead

94hoghead

I used the glitter blast green on a set of hemi valve covers. Bought three cans at $8.00 a can, two of the cans had the nozzle stick open. I even pulled the nozzle out of the can completely and it continued to spray out of the can. Hobby Lobby replaced the cans but it was a huge pain in the ass. I did another set with the red krylon glitter blast. They were not as nice looking as the green. I'm not overly impressed......

20. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

I did finally have a nozzle stick open on me but I pressed down and twisted the the nozzle and it stopped

21. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Krylon red flake under some HOK clear with a touch of candy apple red kandy added to it
    [​IMG]

22. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

23. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Thank you. The pics never do justice so ill have a video up on my next day off

24. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

That does look pretty damn good. I need to find a better rattle clear for when I use it. I used a krylon rattle clear on my wheels and it did not give it a "clear" look. Probably used the wrong kind lol. Or I should invest in a paint gun.

25. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

This if from a Krylon rep (no bias at all lol) :

The only clear coat that can be successfully applied over the Glitter Blast is the Glitter Blast Clear Sealer (3800). This is the only clear coating that will be compatible with the Glitter Blast and not mute the metallic value of the glitter.

Going to try it on one of my wheels to test it out. I still need to redo one of the wheels on my 65.

26. greasebandit0801

greasebandit0801
    from houston

Damn that looks good

27. JimInrADFORDva

JimInrADFORDva

Yeah, but the Krylon guy says that the HOK clear mutes the sparkle of the flake. :rolleyes:

28. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

lol :eek:

29. hey man, just got some of this paint, layed it down on an old steerin' wheel. first thing i noticed, the nozzle just kept going, and what it shot out was this foggy nasty shit with just a few sparkles in it, and as soon as it hit the steering wheel, it bubbled up. can anyone help?

30. jhaas63

jhaas63