Register now to get rid of these ads!

Krylon question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by apound, Aug 31, 2010.

1. apound

apound

I have used Krylon 1613 semi flat black for years. Really like the gloss level for brackets etc. Now all I can find is 51613 Satin black. It dries too shiny and just doesn't look the same. I found a restoration supplier that tells me they still make the old 1613 but they want like 10 bucks a can so that's out.
    Anyone know of a supplier?

2. Fogger

Fogger

Krylon has discontinued the 1613, I've had better results with SEM trim black. You should be able to get it at an automotive paint store.

3. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

They actually brought it back and its now semi flat black 53565 its on their website but I have only found it at ace hardware. They also have a rust tough that is a semi flat black too.

PSYCHOSOLID likes this.
  4. grf-x

grf-x

Try duplicolor, if you can't find it.

5. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

John Deere Blitz black, rattle cans, good hard paint for misc. brackets etc. etc.

6. owen thomas

owen thomas

Love that Krylon, don’t use anything else anymore. Tried most all of the brands available. Bought five cans of semi flat black 53565 last week at Ace Hardware for $3.99 each. Don’t buy Ace Hardware paint – made that mistake a couple of years ago, it’s terrible stuff.

7. big bad john

big bad john

True Value has it too:D

8. apound

apound

So the 53565 looks the same as the old 1613?

9. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I also love the Rust Tough Semi-Flat. Goes on smooth, blends perfectly.

10. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Found that Home Despot (and Lowes too) sells a generic spray paint in flat black (semi-gloss, and flat white as well) that dries nicely with a very very slight sheen. $0.99 a can, and that's their normal price, not a sale price. I've been using it for all my brackets, etc. atop a primer.

11. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

Where are you getting it? I have been looking all over but cant find it.

12. TomH

TomH

I have been having the same problem. I found Krylon Rust Tough Semi Flat Black ( # RTA9203 ) at NAPA. They had one can left, I haven’t been back to see if they have got anymore in. It matches the 1613.

13. Eight433

Eight433

x2 on the SEM Trim paint. Love that stuff.

14. Cati pillar has a semi flat that is great. Don't know the cost just used someone elses.

15. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I have used Krylon for years, but I think the difference is that it used to be laquer and now it's enamel. The Krylon enamel is about the fastest drying of any that I've used, but I really miss the laquer.

16. Krylon is about the best spray paint going, but lately I've been having a few problems with it. I use their flat black and semi-flat alot. But, it seems like since they changed the style of spray head I have alot of problems with clogging and splattering.

They do seem to change up the colors alot. They used to have quite a few of the satin colors, but they've discontinued alot of the better colors. Oh well...........E

17. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

NAPA carries it, and so does ACE Hardware. I think I also saw it at Wally World.