Register now to get rid of these ads!

Koz's hot rod pickup project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HomemadeHardtop57, Aug 23, 2010.

1. 94hoghead

94hoghead

2. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Look-in good keep us posted...
    that intake is going to look bad ass

3. Buzznut

Buzznut

Koz, can we see some pics of the interior..the seat? My '46 cab is going in somewhat the same direction. I'm liking this build...thanks for the pics!

4. Koz

Koz

Buzznut, I'll be posting some interior pics up soon as I can. The seat is still in foam but you can get the idea. Hardtops going to post some pics here of the louvers he punched for the tailgate and sides probably later this evening. I've been pretty busy at work and havn't gotten much done the last two or three weeks. Time to bust ass again starting this coming weekend!

5. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

I louvered Koz's tailgate and side panels for his truck yesterday..we taped them on for some inspiration

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  6. 117harv

117harv

There you go, BAD ASS!

7. Koz

Koz

We're finishing up Jerry's coupe this week and then back to progress. My new steering column came in along with a ton of little parts. I'm hopeing to get a lot of this stuff done next week including fitting up the parimeter of a 37 commercial grill around the outside of the '34 passenger grill I have in place. I have a new sense of drive now that I havn't worked on it for a few weeks. Sometimes you need that.

It just keeps getting better all the time!

Can't wait for the Buick brakes to arrive!

8. 41 Dave

41 Dave

oz, I always have loved a neat Hot rod Truck ! Your is just about perfect. It is low slung , has a hopped up mill and just the prefect stance ! Words fail me. Looking forward to you finished truck.

9. Koz

Koz

So Dave, what would make it totally perfect? I'm looking for cool ideas. Since I'm lazy I've decided to shoot the exterior in a flatted mid grey, ( much darker that the stuff thats on there now, Eastwood blocking primer), and sand it out with 320 or so to make it look like it is just ready for paint. Kinda like old lacquer primer thats been blocked. This is Utech urethane so it's waterproof, not like primer. I want something different than just a flat, but not shiney cause I'm too lazy to wash 'em, I just drive the wheels off. The engine is going to be the Sierra Bronze with gloss black wheels and dash/steering column. Everything else will be as it was described above. I think this will look pretty cool with the white interior and bed cover. Just shitty enough that I can let it set outside the Oceanic Bar next year at Wildwood and I won't care if it gets scratched.

Finish out comences next week as soon as Hardtop57's coupe is finished. All input is appreciated.

As a side note....... I'm looking for a really cool licence plate frame for this beast. Anybody got anything that would be just the cats nuts?

10. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Koz, I think you should enjoy your truck next summer. Then prep and shoot it some color to be accented by your detailed mill. Then maybe have someone pinstripe it old style - (the Greek or . . . .)

As to a license plate frame, I would look for one from you local car dealer. My friend has a dealer who was in Victorville (Ca,) in the 60's. I have two sets of frames from Snow Ford of San Berardino. The one has been on my '57 F-100 Panel Truck since '57. Really makes the ride.
    Have fun looking for one to fit your truck.

11. Koz

Koz

I'm in the process of refining a few details. The brakes on all four corners are getting their much needed upgrade to '66 Wildcat setups using 29rats adapters for the Buick hubs and fabricated backing plate centers. This is seriously making the truck look like its much older than its 1 year existance. The '36 headlights are on and the '34 passenger grill is grafted into the '37 commercial shell. I still have a ton of bodywork to do even before the psedo primer job. Getting some Buick wheels to solve my hubcap dilema and finishing the last of the bed work. When Hardtop comes over I'll have him post some update shots.

I have aquired a very vintage Chubby Checker widow transfer, kinda' like a reverse waterslide decal for the back window. I think it dates to about 1962 or so. That alone shoud knock about 2/10ths off my ET, but it is pretty cool.

12. fryguy

fryguy

Koz, got a full set of Buick 15 inch rims sitting in my shed. They have Coker Classic Whitewalls mounted to them though. You can use them if you want, you just have to swap the tires out.

Fryguy

13. Koz

Koz

The HAMB classifieds once again come to the rescue with a '39 Ford passenger dash. With a little fitting it will be the cats nuts! I've been spending the last week or two on straightening everything out and blocking. Soon ready for paint and reassembly. Think Spring Ocean City.

14. 117harv

117harv

Let's see that dash.

15. jammersspeed

jammersspeed
    from herman mn.

16. Koz

Koz

The dash is still in Georgia. Hopefully we'll have everything taken care of this week to get it out to me and I can begin fitting it up. I need to make a jig to hold it straight while I narrow it to fit the '35, about 13/16". Not that much but critical. Also the area in the front where it mates to the windshield frame will be really important as I don't have a dash rail, like on the stock '35 dash, to hide the match. The '39 dash will be a better fit than the more common '40.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  17. Koz

Koz

My dash arrived yesterday and after a light cleanup I proceeded to fit it to the '35 shell. Absolutly excellent. I only needed about an hours metalwork and it fit nicely. The windshield frame is in need of a massage which I'm working on now, other than that damn near a bolt in. I'm surprised you don't see more of them done this way because it really looks sweet. I'm going to have Hardtop shoot a few pics this week and post up. The big question is exactly what I do with the gauges, 1935 series or reuse the ones I have now?

Thanks to Taylor on here for the dash and Hardtop for a mint set of Buick rims to fit my new brakes.

18. seatex

seatex

19. Koz

Koz

Comin' Bro! I'm a little picture challenged because my camera won't interface with this site so I have to wait for one of my friends to come by and post some stuff for me.

The dash is in and is stunning. I'm fabbing up some metalwork over the weekend to tie the windshield frame into the shell and accept a decent headliner. All the stock stuff, including the first inch or so around the windshield was history when I got the cab so it's all just creative tin pounding at this point.

Duz look good though. If I can get the whole cab ready to squirt this week I can start blocking out the with the oak tack strips in the interior and get the sound matting in soon.

There's only about 15 weeks until the Violators so I need to keep my ass in gear.
    Tough today with a hangover. Sadly enough, I do some of my most creative work in this condition.

20. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Took some more pics for Koz of his project's progress

39 Dash installed

blowing the primer

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  21. Bad Luck Engineering

Bad Luck Engineering

I really want to see that dash once it's all put together. Very nice!

22. Koz

Koz

Unfortunatly the pics don't show much detail, but the '39 dash fits like a glove in the '35 shell. I had to rework the top as would be expected but the width was spot on. I dollied the sides in about 3/16 per side to contour the edges to meet the door jambs. The radius that goes up onto the windshield is exactly the same as the '35 and as such, just needed some minor massage to make sense. I'm using the Vintage Instruments 1935 series Woodward gauges, which go into the stock holes but look like origional stuff and of course, have the modern guts, no six volt conversions. All my equiptment for the tunes goes behind the seat so I wont clutter the cool dash.

Thanks to Jerry for posting the pics and Taylor for the dash!

23. Koz

Koz

I thought you guys would especially enjoy the shot of my "paint booth".

24. jamn47

jamn47

That's a beautiful truck! keep it up.

25. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Hell Koz - even MY "paint booth" (when I shot my hot rod Amazon) was more hi-tech ... I wore a tyvek suit , lol !!

Seriously , the truck is coming along nicely .

26. Koz

Koz

The deed is done! The cab is in UTech, matt grey. Dead on match for old lacquer primer. You have to part the fog in the shop with a shovel to walk through but the sucker looks good. Naturally, after you finally shoot it you see about 40 things you should have fixed. I can catch that stuff when it gets finish painted in a year or two. I want to get this back together so I can finish the rail.

SneakyPete says if I have the FED fiished by Fall Wildwood he'll run it up Atlantic Avenue and onto the boardwalk. This should be good. Save bail money!

27. fryguy

fryguy

Matte grey, huh? What happened to the white, lol? Hey, u never came down to pick up those buick wheels

28. hasty

hasty

29. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I'm waiting for an update , Koz - any progress ??