Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kontinentals present the Day of the Drag Race - Oct.7th!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by beatnikontinental, Jul 22, 2006.

1. A heads up to everyone to mark your calendar and make your plans - our Fall Day of the drag Race event is coming up - race day is Saturday, October 7th out at Little River Academy - as always its "Run what ya Brung" 1/4 mile heads up bracket racing - for maximum trash-talking on the HAMB leading up to the green light. Music and beer back at the Continental Club Friday and saturday nights - El Jefe is still finalizing the lineup, but it will include Barfield, Red Light Burlesque and Krupanut's surf outfit, The Thunderchiefs!

not to be missed - complete details are here, including tech info, schedule and directions to the track

http://www.kontinentals.com/drags06/

its always a great time out there - Little River is a really cool old track out under the trees, and the drive out there couldn't be nicer. check out photos from last year here:
    http://www.kontinentals.com/Drag05pix/

Every racer gets a aluminum timing tag to display your quickest run on your firewall, and for those who break 100 mph - we have the highly coveted "100 mph patch" if you wanna know what one of those looks like - just ask Buzzard. You won't have to ask twice.

Let us know if you have any questions -
    -b

2. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Can't wait. I look forward to this every year. The thing is, my little coupe runs now so I can play too. Hell, you may as well send me my 100mph patch now:D Cmon October!!!

3. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Oxymoron. Yeah I said it. What are you gonna do?:cool:

To clarify, most of the day is "test and tune". Line up against your buddy, club brother, or however is in the staging lane next to you. It's you chance to get in a bunch of runs.

Later in the day, we'll set up the bracket racing. Write your dial in on the window and run as class as you can to that number. If you can get real consistent, you'll most likely race a '60 Pontiac Bonneville convertible in the finals!

And then we go back to the Continental for beer and mostly naked chicks.

It's a good day.

4. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Teaser pics........

Attached Files:

5. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

I didn't know if anyone else has heard this or not, but the rumor is they re-covered the track, and it is DAMN FAST!!!!

One fella told me the "left lane lump" is gone now,too...
    something about the shutdown area is not as hairy anymore,either.

as long as they didn't mess with the bleachers,all is well. it only took 20 years to wear the splinters off of the old ones...mostly.

6. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Is the shutdown straight? or just smoother?

7. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

as far as I can tell, they smoothed the entire track, and "drug tires" for quite a while (to build up rubber on the track surface) meaning the shutdown would not have the presence of all that gravel. ( or mabey the asphault was just "washed out",I dunno. it was freakin slick towards the second turn off before.)

I will investigate further on monday,the only guy that would know for sure will be avalible then. But I have heard this from several people that do alot more racing than me these days...

8. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

The shutdown still curves left. As for it's being faster? Dunno. I ran there a few weeks ago. I can't get shit for traction but maybe it's just me & my setup. Even so, the left lane felt slicker than owl shit. Almost icy.

9. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Images from Day of the drags 05...........

Attached Files:

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Shit, you guys are making this sooo tempting.........:eek:

11. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

I talked to a guy at a local shop and he said the shut down was "decent" now but said the same thing you did about the traction.

12. BELLM

BELLM

Three things we don't miss:
    1. Roundup
    2. HAMB Drags
    3. Day of the Drag Race

Our families all know that if they plan something any of these 3 times of the year, we aren't going to be there, they can get pissed :mad:, disown us:rolleyes:, whatever. We have our priorities straight:D.

13. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I'm going this year for sure!

I want to ride in the Bass Coupe and do wheelies.

14. Dirty2

Dirty2

Does anyone here have anything fast enough to WORRY about the shut down ?????? :D

15. BELLM

BELLM

Fast or not that curve is still scary, they normally run 1/8 mile there, because of the short shutdown area. Especially scary when you have a minor steering column malfunction, just as you are shutting down after crossing the finish line going around 95-100 in a roadster, and the front end goes into a death wobble, like I did in time trials last year :eek: . Holy shit, that was scary.

I used to run there in the mid '60, when I was in high school, back then rumor had it that back in the early days you ran in the opposite direction. If your brakes didn't stop you the river would!!

For those of you that have not been there the starting line is just a stones throw from the Little River. Lots of big beautiful trees, lots of shade. Real laid back fun place. Real good time, like every event the Kontinentals do!

16. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

I didn't get to stick around last year long enough to make to finals-this year will be different. Based off the 3 runs I made, might just be Jeepers Creepers you'll be up against-like Mussolini's trains, baby!

17. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

At least you don't have to worry about traction problems!:D

18. Roothawg

Roothawg

I think the trees overhanging the track are part of the problem. I love the track but it does look slick most of the time.

19. scrape

scrape

is the hemi vs sbc showdown gonna happen?
    the dirtys better get on the ball!

20. Big Tony

Big Tony

This will be my first year to attend and can't wait. The place looks killer.

Big Tony