Register now to get rid of these ads!

History KONG Ignition

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 8-Track, Oct 15, 2008.

1. 8-Track

8-Track

I have heard alot about the history of kong ignitions but have never seen one before. Who has some pictures? were they only for flatheads? how did they work?

2. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check out Tex Smith's " Hot Rod History" Book 2 "the glory years" by Tom Medley on page 10, there is a pix of Kong Jackson in his 32 roadster.

Yes, Kong ignitions were used in flathead powered cars.----------------Don

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

here was a 1940's version with no mechanical advance, just a manual adjustment. I think this one used cap and rotor from early Lincoln V8, other 1930's stuff for points in a case made by Kong. There were a couple more versions based on contemporary parts done late in his life, 1980's or so. There is a small amount of info on these in one of the big flathead books, I think Tex Smith's.

4. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, I just PM'd a note to him about the complete "kong" story in Tex Smiths Hot Rod History book by Tom Medley BOOK # 1, & offered to scan the story for him, & email it. ------------------Don:)

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

My total Kong collection is an outer cover for the cap of the early one, busted and repaired looong ago with Duco Cement, that great stuff that would almost stick to anything...gotta be worth 10,000 on Ebay...
    An early Kong was used on the Troy Ruttman '47 Merc that came in fourth in the Mexican road race. It was chosen for its manual adjustment in order to cope with a very variable gasoline situation.

6. flyin-t

flyin-t

Back when I was a member of the 4 ever 4 club, Kong would come to the meetings now and then. I told him that I had one of his old ignitions, or at least a close copy of one, and he asked me to bring it to the next meeting. I did and he would'nt put the thing down all night. He kept taking it to all the older members and they were discusing the features of the unit. He said it was one of his but couldn't (or wouldn't, lol) explain the 'Berk' markings on it. Gave me his card with a standing offer to buy it, I still have it, infact it's one of the only flattie piece's I have left.

Here's a few shots of it and Kong at the lakes late in life.