Register now to get rid of these ads!

Knuckled Valve Covers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Brudwich, Jul 8, 2007.

1. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

I was curious if anyone has knuckled their valve covers. After seeing Evel's knuckled Cadillac valve covers, I want to stick with the stock valve covers and knuckle them on my Cadillac to clear adjustable rocker arms. These are the questions I have:

-Is it easier/better hammer out? or to just cut and weld some in?

-Does anyone have any pictures of knuckled valve covers? Post Them!

The only pics I could find were Evel's Cadillac valve covers and Olds 371 valve covers on pg. 54 in TRJ #30

Attached Files:

2. To me it looks like it would be easier to weld them in. I do like the way it looks and maybe somebody who has done it before can help so here is a BTTT

3. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Mine were hand made...When I got them somone had hammered the "Knuckels" in I don't how...But after they were polished and chromed they came out better than I thought...

Ryan mentioned that he saw a pair on a caddy that had Spoons welded in
    to make the Knuckels that might be easier to do...I hope to run Stude rockers on the caddy soon so the cover will actually serve a purpose...:D

4. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

Luke D-church suggested the spoon idea the other night. It definitely solves my concern of getting each knuckle identical. I guess I'll have to start stealing silverware when I go out to eat in order to find the perfect knuckle.

5. robster

robster

Attached Files:

6. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

personaly i think it would be better to hammer em in but i suppose either way is acceptable. guess it depends where your skills are at.

7. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

How about making a die set up. (similar to a set used for punching louvers) that way they would all be identical.
    If the valve cover is thin, you could "punch" them in a vise or with vise grips.
    Craig :cool:

8. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

hammering them in might not be that hard
    carve a wooden form into opposite of the shape you'd like...or even a steel form really would work
    then clamp that on the outside and just hammer the metal into the void
    go slow and it should come out nice...the flange on the cover should work as a guide to keep them all in line

good luck in any case
    Zach

9. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

that is exactly what i had in my mind. in fact i've been sitting here trying to think of what valve covers i have layin around i cold do this to just for shits and grins. :D

10. You could just get a set of Hildebrant that already have them.

CBB

Attached Files:

11. junkcad

junkcad
    from nashville

sorry o/t question ,whats a set of those caddy valve covers go for ?

12. s.r.i.

s.r.i.
    from Hell

Harbor Frieght (yea,yea, I know) has a dimpling kit they sell for only $40 that might work. Has a dimple block and the dimpler.

13. Durod

Durod
    from DFW, Tx

those are seriously some of tha baddest cadi motors ive seen yet..

14. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

Thanks for all the ideas! I'm gonna try both methods (welding spoons and hammer/die) and see which one turns out better. I'll definitely post a knuckled valve cover tech once I finish.

15. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

HOLY KRAP!!! Those are beatiful!!! are they caddy?? Could/would they fit SBC??? Maybe with an adapter?? Man I just got completely stoked on those!! NEVER seen them before!!!!!

16. I'm drooling right now.

I'm building my 331 soon. Taking notes.

17. Those are for an early Cadillac motor, they do not fit a small block chevy . But they do make a set for a Small block chevy ( no knuckles of course).

Here is a picture of them,

CBB

Attached Files:

18. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

Damn! even with out the knuckles they are gorgeous, but WITH the knuckles the are BEAUTIFUL!!! I gotta look into those!! Thanks man...Ken

19. Got mine right here - 25 pc. Doming Block & Punch Set - has sizes from 2.3 mm (about 1/10") to 25 mm (about 1"). The block has the female "recess" machined in but the block itself has sharp outer edges - you would have to be careful not to transfer these edges into the valve cover when hammering. I guess you could relieve the edges before using, maybe round them over with a grinder...

Steve