Register now to get rid of these ads!

Know anything about this 1937 "California Custom" convertible made after the war? Pic

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kreal, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Kreal

Kreal

Hello all, was told this car was customized after WWII for a returning soldier. Done in what was then called a "California Custom". Was wondering if anyone knew anything at all about it? Would love to hear it. 1937. Most pieces (chrome and such) were removed for transport. I plan on a restore this summer. Definitly unique, sits very low aswell and should run without issues.

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. JJK

JJK

That is badass!!!!

3. jstanotheidiot

jstanotheidiot

I think its a 1939 Chrysler,the fenders n grill are

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd bet the story goes that he saw a few real interesting sports cars when he was stationed in Europe or UK and decided to build his own. That car has a lot better lines than a lot of those projects did during that period.

There is probably a photo and short essay on it in some old edition of Popular Mechanics or Mechanics Illustrated from the early 50's.

5. OLLIN

OLLIN

very cool, this should be interesting..

6. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

7. Kreal

Kreal

Thanks guys! I'm very excited to work on it this summer. I've known about it since I was 16 years old and now 10 years later I've finally been given the opportunity to own it. It was owned for the past 30plus years by the same man as his favorite car. Unfortunately it was stored outside all of the time, even when driven regularly. His son and daughter sold me the car, they are very nice people and I hope to keep in contact with them with progress of the car.

8. Cal-Paul

Cal-Paul

If anybody knows anything about custom cars,it would be Rikster. You might want to ask him.

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

There was a fad for building home built "sports cars" in the early fifties. They even published plans in mechanics magazines.

Your car looks like a typical effort, based on 1939 Chrysler body parts with 1949 Plymouth bumpers.

Do you have any shots of the engine, front suspension, chassis or dash board? They might help identify it. Any add on accessories or engine speed parts would most likely be from the year it was built or slightly earlier.

It's a very cool looking car and deserves to be preserved as is.

10. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Like a lot of guys, he was probably Jones'n for a Valley Custom sectioned 40 Ford conv. But like most of us, he had a budget and therefore a 39 Chrysler as a starting point. He didn't do too bad. Car looks like fun.

11. Great score!
    What do you mean by 'restore it'?

12. Hudson27

Hudson27
    from Indiana

Nice find!
    I'd like to know your plans on restoring it too.

13. Kreal

Kreal

Thanks guys. Will post restore details when I figure out what I'm going to do. Wish I could find some old info on it!