Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods knocking 327 sbc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clockwork31, Aug 4, 2018.

1. clockwork31

clockwork31

Hi, I have a 62, 300 327 sbc, (1500 miles on it since rebuild) when I hit the throttle there is a clear knocking (not ticking) sound coming off valve cover on passenger side, if I touch the cover I can feel it to the tip of my fingers, what should I check first? I've dropped the oil, removed the pan and everything looks normal for a guy that is not that familiar with internal engine problem. Headers bolts are tight as well and rockers, rods are not out of place or loose. Any hints or tips? Thanks! #13

Attached Files:

2. Take the valve cover off and run it briefly to determine if rocker arm is hitting it or not.

3. sounds like a rocker is hitting the cover. lay a rag over the rockers with the cover off and try it.

4. Rocker could be out of adjustment to the point of knocking and not appear loose when inspecting a non-running engine. Get some rocker arm oil stoppers and check them all with engine running.

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

6. Deuces

Deuces

I would love to see what a 5 valve cylinder head looks like..... :confused::eek::confused:o_O

7. clockwork31

clockwork31

Thanks to all of you and thanks for the link I'll take a look. The engine has been rebuilt in a professionnal engine shop in my area, these guys were into performance engine in the early days. They really know what they're doing. But the shop is closed for vacation. https://www.moteurultra.ca/Home.php

8. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I had one on a 289 that kept loosening up.
    What a pain.
    Finally, for 16 cents and a gasket I put a new nut on it.
    Then the son-in-sin adjusted the valves, so I have to play forensic mechanic.

9. egads

egads

Flip the valve cover over and see if there are any shiny spot's.

10. You need to get out more often.
    I know I know -it's hard to get off the Linda thread :)
    IMG_1390.JPG IMG_1391.JPG

Randall likes this.
  11. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Stock rockers or?
    Screw in stud or pressed in?
    Some stock SBC V/C's have a high and low wall side, will install either way...................................

12. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

valve cover on upside down ?
    GM tin valve covers have a top & a bottom !

13. Wrist pin can make a knocking sound but still run fine. HRP