Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage KKOA Salina KS in July 2017

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudson48, Feb 21, 2017.

1. hudson48

hudson48

I am heading over to see friends and do some non car stuff but also want to include a couple of events.
    One on my list is the KKOA Kustom Car event in Salina KS July 27-30 2017.
    First I would like some opinions on this event and second I might need a ride from Wichita airport to Salina and could also share a room if anyone wants to defray costs. Would stay Thursday/Friday/Saturday nights and head back to San Diego on Sunday 30th July.

2. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

You are going to get mixed reactions from people about this show. Some say it sucks. I have been going since they moved it to Salina(roughly 13 years ago). Thursday night they have a cruiz`in downtown where the locals come out to see the cars parade up and down the mainstreet of town. Friday night they have drags at an old air landing strip on the edge of town. A must see. Then there is a shop downtown(Calvins) who has a open house with a band where lots of cars show up. I usually skip this and go to the headquarters and see the KKOA hall of famers speak a little and give away there pick of a car from the show on Friday. There will be Starbird, Winfield, Dagostino, Vodo Larry ect... The late George Barris and Bill Hines were regulars at this event as well. Not much goes on Saturday night. Friday and Saturday there are usually two different groups of people who chop a car during the event. That's two different cars and another group who sections a car during the event as well. It`s always interesting to watch. Then there are the cars that show up at this event. A lot of customs for a Midwest event and a bunch of others that show up as well. Some say to many non customs attend this show, but just walk by and look at what interests you. For those of you who have attended in the past, there are always a new batch of customs that show up that have never been there before, so there is always something new to see each year. I have never attended Thursday activities and Sunday is usually a pretty slow day.

3. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My friend, Ken, and I have been making the 1,500 mile round trip to this event for the past 7-8 years. It's on our "don't miss" list. You won't see thousands of cars but what you do see will be varied enough that there should be something of interest for almost everyone. You can do a search here on HAMB and find threads on past shows with lots of pictures that will give you a good idea of what to expect.
    Can't help you with a ride, as Wichita is quite a bit south of our route. You would probably have a better chance of picking up a ride if you fly into Kansa City.

4. I have been going to KKOA events since 1981.
    I can remember the days of 2,000 entries, was like walking back into the '50's, for certain.
    In the past, the KKOA Spectacular was held in different cities, each year.
    I believe once Jerry Titus and the gang made a decision to stay in Salina every year, the enthusiasm for the show declined. IMO.

5. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

As stated above, cars from both coasts and in between are there together because of the central location. I am lucky to live here close. I just wish I lived closer to some of the other national events. AMBR etc. The Salina show is awesome.

6. hudson48

hudson48

Getting other opinions via private messaging and in two minds about this show.
    I get the impression it is not like a Santa Maria show with LOTS of customs.

7. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

I've been to it a couple of times over the past few years and have enjoyed it. You'll see some nice customs but I'd say they're only 10% of the show. The rest are simply nice cars, some rats, and everything else in between. I go because it's not too far of a drive from Kansas City. One thing I like about it is that it's held in a park with plenty of shade trees which makes for a more pleasant day compared to shows on a huge asphalt parking lot, especially on a late July Kansas day.

8. sunbeam

sunbeam

Up side great show down side in late July in Kansas it is hot.

Hotdoggin DaddyO and lbf100 like this.
  9. town sedan

town sedan

If you could take in just one day, Friday or Saturday?
    -Dave

10. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More cars on Sat. Guys come in Friday night after work so Sat has a lot more to see.

11. town sedan

town sedan

Thanks. I'm in KC, but with work etc., it's hard to give a full weekend to anything. Have been thinking about making the drive for years. Maybe this is the year.
    -Dave

12. j3harleys

j3harleys

Went once it was a good show but way to hot for me.

13. hudson48

hudson48

I PM'd a well respected HAMB member who has custom connections and who I had discussed other runs with previously. His response about the Salina event has probably convinced me to attend. I may not get another chance as the clock is ticking. I come from southern Queensland Australia so we are used to hot weather so that shouldn't be a problem.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd look into renting an inexpensive rental car in Wichita and driving up. It isn't that far as I made it in a little over an hour when I forgot my laptop power cord at the motel in Salinas a couple of years ago and dove back from the North side of Wichita to pick it up. Cheaper and a lot quicker than buying a replacement.

15. das858

das858

I've been going to Salina for the past seven years, it's my favorite show by far! Lots of good places to eat in Salina, easy to get around town, great park where the show is held. The only down side at all is the heat, we bring canopy's, wading pool and water baloons to entertain and cool our selfs . And occasionally the weather is great!

Ranchero59 likes this.
  16. hudson48

hudson48

So one of the other PM's said to expect a low turnout of customs,maybe 10% to 20% of 2000 cars. I am a hot rodder and a custom car person. I did find a website with photos from the last 3 KKOA Salina events. There seemed to be a great lot of customs by my estimation.
    If I saw 300 customs out of 2000 cars that is more than I have ever seen over here at any time. I went to the Kustom Nationals here a couple of years ago and there was probably at the most 50-60 and the rest hot rods and classics.
    The largest run we have here is our Hot Rod Nationals that is normally 1000 cars but may hit 1400 this year as it is closer to the hot rod heartland in Victoria. And that is mostly hot rods(and street rods) and classics with very few customs. Our normal larger regional events are 300-400 cars like Yamba and Valla run once again mostly hot rods with few customs. So with those numbers I would probably be a happy camper.

Ranchero59 and stanlow69 like this.
  17. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Great Show, but I'm 5minute drive & biased.
    Fri Drags & Sat Show are best days. 1,800-2,000+cars & lots of other activities. With the volume of cars, something for everyone's taste from many different states & styles.
    I do Thurs-Sun, & probably don't see everything because it's huge & sonetimes cars are cruisin' (like they should to look & sound best)in/out around town. Sundays usually thinning out and a few award winners picking up trophys.
    If ya can get a cheap Rental car at Wichita, it's 1.5 hr North.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    big duece likes this.
  18. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

19. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

For me, this is the best opportunity I have to see a variety of custom cars. I am always amazed at the workmanship and creativity. This is a great family venue with a variety of activities. It can be and usually is pretty warm. Sometimes it's damn hot. Four of us ole' geezers are making the trip from central Missouri IMG_0958[3].JPG in my 57' Ford with no a/c(it's an adventure). Please stop by for a visit and a cold beverage. Sam

20. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I went 3 years ago and had a blast. haven't made it back since then, but 10 minutes ago I booked my hotel an sent my registration... See ya there.
    White unibody f100 with heavily flaked out roof, engine bay and interior

Sancho likes this.
  21. Been going since day one of it in Salina and really like everything about this show.....Ya it's hot some times, but the cars are cool! and so are the people...

j3harleys likes this.
  22. I pre-entered months ago. Way more good than bad. You will see stuff from both coasts.

Ranchero59 likes this.
  23. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Some of my favorite shots from Friday... 20170728_183531.jpg 20170728_160400.jpg 20170728_160337.jpg 20170728_113216.jpg

Montana1, Hotdoggin DaddyO and Stogy like this.
  24. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

25. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

26. hudson48

hudson48

Well I am kicking myself about not being there this year but circumstances forced us to alter travel plans. We leave Australia on Wednesday morning and now head straight to Atlanta and our friends in Dawsonville. Have a few car things on there but they aren't car people.Then after some general tourist stuff(Yellowstone Park and solar eclipse in Wyoming )it is back to CA and first on the agenda there is GoodGuys Western Nats at Pleasanton. Lots of other car stuff while there and catching up with old friends.

27. gonmad

gonmad

You going to head thru the middle of the country at the precise time of the HAMB drags?!? It'd be a shame to miss it if you're this close!