Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects KIWI MADE 1927 T Lakes modified - Journey to the end of the road!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by woodbox, Mar 31, 2012.

1. XERB

XERB

Awesome to see see you enjoying the roadster out on the road...I'm sure the officer smiled when he saw you coming...Happy New year

2. woodbox

woodbox

Had a great drive home again this evening. I find that at about 80kmh the front end likes to do the Biasply boogie, but if you drive through that, it is fine at 100kmh. I guess that so long as you know it is there you can drive around it.
    The trans tunnel gets nice and warm after a while, but this will be good for off season driving and nights.:cool:

3. And great for keeping MEAT pies warm !

:D

4. woodbox

woodbox

Been there mate. Back of the line at the gas station, only to be offered a cold pie! Half an hour on the intake manifold, and its good to go!

5. woodbox

woodbox

1453415_639584332770863_813684876_n.jpg 1457552_639584519437511_2008898703_n.jpg 1487356_639584459437517_1662449145_n.jpg 1601517_639584402770856_1563329507_n (1).jpg Mercury and I went for a parts hunting run in the roadster this morning. A very pleasant run around the shoreline of the harbour with the tide all the way in. A perfect opportunity for some glamour shots.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  6. woodbox

woodbox

Driving to work tonight at dusk, I picked up a hitchhiker at speed! He stung me on the temple......so I killed him! Then left him on the road!

7. Scumdog

Scumdog

But don't forget: "Always blow on the pie"!:p

(Sorry, couldn't resist...:D)

8. woodbox

woodbox

"Safer Communities Together"

9. daddio211

daddio211

I've taken a few up the sleeve of my leather jacket. When you're driving in a roadster you just HAVE to have your arm hanging out. It's an unwritten law!

10. woodbox

woodbox

For some reason the fuse on the electric fan keeps blowing at the most inopportune moment. I noticed when I got to work last night when I shut down the engine that the fan was not going. I have been running the fan manually for a while, thinking that the thermo switch may have been cutting in and out causing the load to over amp the fuse. This has been working for a bit but now the fuse has blown using the manual switch as well.
    I have been over the wiring very carefully and there doesn't appear to be anywhere shorting out. I am thinking that the load is possibly too great for the fuse, just under normal use!? The concern is that I have been running a 30 amp fuse, which is a fair load. Do I go to 35amp and see how that goes?

I drove home from work this morning with no fan, which is fine on the open road at 100kph, but when I hit town and have to sit at lights things turned ugly. I took off from the last set of lights, before getting back onto the open road on my side of town, and splutter splutter dead in the middle of one of the busiest intersections in town. When the engine gets hot the fuel vaporizes and won't go! I managed to get across the intersection and had to wait for about 10 minutes for things to cool off! Then we were all good!

I am going to bed for the day now. Let me know what you all think!:eek::confused::mad:

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Electric fans can pull up to 30 amps on startup, fuse should be bigger. Do you have a relay ?

12. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Replace the fuse with a genuine Lucas replacement and keep a jar of replacement wire harness smoke on hand and everything should be fine.

Attached Files:

13. I guess I'm a little late to this one but it was nice to see what was started and then FF to the end to see the product. lol I know, that's cheeting. I'm going back to see how the build went. :rolleyes:;)

14. woodbox

woodbox

I apologize now for the missing pictures!

15. woodbox

woodbox

New fuse in. I found a loose spade terminal in the line while putting in the fuse. It may have been enough resistance to heat things up and cause the fuse to go after long periods.
    I have also made an air duct from a radiator hose to cool the components which are mounted beside the radiator and may have been getting hot.

Taking it to work again tonight.

16. That was one thing i had drumed into me, when i sat my truck licence. The traffic cop (it was 27 years ago) kept sayn, always look in your rear view, just to make sure theres not a cop behind you! :D Glad to see your getting some seat time.

17. woodbox

woodbox

Fuse didn't last the journey to work!:(
    Replaced and will leave on auto going home in the morning so it doesn't run unless needed. Talking to one of my work mates tonight, it may be the fan motor with an internal fault. The first time we started the engine, a couple of months ago, when things heated up, the outer ring of the fan blades was touching the shroud. This may have been enough to load up the windings inside the fan motor and is now slowly getting worse each time I use it.
    Will pull the fan and get it checked now.
    Gotta be something causing it.....can't be nothing!

18. woodbox

woodbox

Fuse didn't make it home.......but the car did, without over heating (lucky with the lights).
    Ordering a new fan today.

19. woodbox

woodbox

My son and I were playing around with the new camera I bought for the road trip (only 2 weeks away now!!!) and we were putting the car away, when we noticed a noise from the fan. I whipped the hood off and had a look while everything was still hot. The fan outer ring was touching the shroud and rubbing. When everything is cold there is no contact. The blade must be growing when hot, enough to load up the fuse and pop it. Tonight I will slot the holes on the shroud and move it away from the fan ring. Wish me luck!

We captured a heap of footage on the camera and I am busy editing it into a story now. I will use it as a trailer for the upcoming roadtrip and a shortened version for credits on each episode. So far it all looks good, but I might be biased! I will post it up as soon as it is done in the next couple of days.

20. davo461

davo461

You are not enjoying life TOO much, are you?
    What an amazing result !
    Davo.

21. woodbox

woodbox

I ran the roadster to work this morning. When I had stopped and was getting unbuckled, the fan switched itself on! Woohoo I think we may have cracked it. Last night we adjusted the shroud so there should be no more contact with the fan outer ring.

22. Good stuff man.
    I don't want you turning up at my place bludging water ... lol

23. woodbox

woodbox

Only if it has been purified and flavoured......with hops!

I ran the roadster into town this morning, trying to beat the rain (note to self; Rainex for glasses required!). Went to an auto sparky and put a meter on the feed line for the fan. On initial start up it was drawing 29+ change-amps dropping to 16.05 amps constant draw. So if it had been making any sort of contact with the shroud on start up it would have shot over 30 amps straight away easily! But if it can free wheel in the breeze when driving it should only draw 20-25 amps.
    So now I am confident (sound like a kiwi politician when I say that) there should be no more fuse popping issues on the fan.

I didn't quite beat the rain home either, but it does need a wash!:rolleyes:

24. woodbox

woodbox

Feb 3, I will be leaving town for a road trip that I have been looking forward to for about 12 months or more.

Now I am about to head to Masterton for the pre 49 national Hot rod run. I will be packing a toolbox, tent and telephone for a 2 week tour of the North Island.

I am planning to take in places all over, including but not limited to, Kumeu, Hamilton, Mangakino, Napier, Castle point (shaken, not stirred), Riversdale, Masterton, Cape palliser light house, Palmerston north, Whanganui, Hawera, New plymouth, Kawhia, Raglan, Cambridge and home again.

I will be taking along a camera and hope to report in each day with some footage of the trip. We have made a trailer for the filming and hope you all subscribe and follow along on the adventure.

Check it out and hit subscribe!:cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVv02T0lr1c

25. Hey man if your calling into Napier give us a shout. would love a close up look at your car, an you can poke holes in mine while you're here. You got some where to stay?

ps awesome trailer......subscribed

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  26. woodbox

woodbox

Thanks man! I would love to catch up while in town. I am working on somewhere to stay but I will keep in touch.

There is about 10 hours in the trailer!!! 4 hrs filming and 6 editing! I am beginning to wonder what can of worms I have opened!

27. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

We're a bit far and wet away here in So Cal for you to stop by, but it's gonna be fun to follow your journey.

28. willo_96

willo_96

Only found this thread the other day, nice work. Took a while to read through it all, very impressive for a home built hot rod. After putting a few miles on it what do you think of the auto, never had a two speed before. I don't want to steal your secrets or ideas, but what english car did you pinch you torsion bars from and how do you find them, how does it ride, what weight did the car finish up as? Once again, nice work, love the chassis.

29. woodbox

woodbox

Thanks for the compliments.
    The auto is fine in a little car like this one. I can use low gear to 60mph quite happily, only at 4000rpm! Top gear is at 2500rpm. But I am glad I can change the ratio in the diff, especially if I go racing.
    Morris Marina or Minor torsion bars. They perform very well, as does the whole car. I am very happy with the set up. 880kg or 1920Lb without the driver.
    Cheers.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  30. davo461

davo461

HQ ratio is a bit low, from memory.
    Beautiful job, Woodbox.
    Davo.

Sent from my HTC One SV using H.A.M.B. mobile app