Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Kiwi Hot Rodders And Their Garages

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steve 38, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Steve 38

Steve 38

Throughout the last half of 2010 and the first fews months of 2011, I finally got to realise a dream I'd had for a long time. I've always been fascinated with the insides of the garages owned by car folks, and thanks to an awesome and very accomodating publishing company, I finally got to achieve this dream, and spent several months travelling around New Zealand, visiting hot rodders, and taking photos of the insides of their garages, and their car and automobilia collections for a book which is due to hit the shelves at the start of November.

The book features 22 hot rodders, and 6 hot rod businesses. It was a hugely enjoyable project, and I met some amazing people, some of which are HAMBers.

I hope Ryan doesn't look upon this thread as being blatant self promotion. Its not. To the best of my knowledge the book is only being sold in New Zealand so most HAMBers won't be able to buy it. So I just wanted to start this thread to show HAMBers what Kiwi hot rodders get up to inside their garages by posting a few photos I took along the way.

Enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sounda great! I have freinds in Nelson and they could get a copy for me. Now who is the publisher and will it be sold in local book shops?
    Thanks

3. Steve 38

Steve 38

4. Very cool, anymore?

5. Steve 38

Steve 38

6. :eek:I recognise one of those sheds:D (not mine tho)

7. Steve 38

Steve 38

8. Steve 38

Steve 38

9. Steve 38

Steve 38

10. Rckt98

Rckt98

I certainly recognise alot of those cars. Where can the book be purchased from? Certainly top of the xmas gift wish list.
    There are certainly alot of sheds around NZ with great (& sometimes large) collections of classic cars.
    Good luck with it.
    Russell

11. jipp

jipp

i hope the thread is allowed to stay i want to see some more pictures.. i admire you guys.. it must be hard to hotrod old American iron in other country's.. that hemi probably cost double what it would here to build?

at any rate dose my heart good to know hotrodin is alive and well in kiwi.. i know you guys get crap from your aussies counter parts but. pfft :D

one day id like to visit both, i have several friends in aus.. im easy to get along with so hope to make some in kiwi too :D

chris.

12. LabRat

LabRat

My Uncle Jim Downs lives in Pukekohe , he used to have the Stihl shop on the motorway exit . Last time I was there he showed me that some of the coolest stuff is tucked away in Kiwi sheds and barns ...

13. woodbox

woodbox

New Zealand is full of friends...you just havn't met them yet!:cool:

14. Nice work, Steve 38.
    For your next book, check out the west coast of the south island. :D:cool:

I see a purple hambers truck must be almost finished. ;)

15. bt34

bt34

Looks good to me...can be purchased from :confused: where???
    cheers

16. Steve 38

Steve 38

From all good book retailers. Will be basically available everywhere, including a few hot rod shops. Magoos have already pre-sold more than 60 copies, and counting.....

[​IMG]

17. pdc

pdc

As much as I would love to go there, and see the sights. The sights to be seen are in the backyards. Could spend months crawling through their relics.

18. Steve 38

Steve 38

Yeah my one regret is not being able to cover more garages. Honestly Jeff, I barely scratched the surface! I barely got into 2nd gear and had already filled a whole book. I think its around 170-175 pages. Needed to be 2000 pages. Mind you, it would have been bloody expensive if it had been.

19. If you ever want to do another book, i can put you in touch with the horders around my neck of the woods. ;)

20. HotRodKush

HotRodKush

Did you check out Kiwi Kev's place?

21. fleet-master

fleet-master

looks like a great book steve38!! plenty of material for another couple of volumes should you be so inclined :D:D I know of plenty down this way

22. DAMN ..I gota get over there !!

Can us Aussies get our hands on some copies?

Nice job brother !!

Rat

23. Thanks- Wildly good. I'm getting that '1/2 a photo only thing'-is that bandwidth? I dunno. But what I can see looks so hardcore, & I'm not really surprised. Really wanna get over to NZ one day.

24. Looks great Steve! It would have been a real eye opener of a trip!
    Cant wait to see the book!

25. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

dont know what it is but I just love being nosey in other folks garages,and getting over there is definitely on the bucket list;)

26. Cymro

Cymro

Do you know the ISBN Number for the book? it makes it easier to order unless you can specify a source, e.g publisher etc

27. n847

n847

This book should be called "Kiwi Hoarders". They need a TLC show to come in and help them get rid of all their stuff...Oh well I would come over and help them get rid of some their "junk"

Awesome photos!

28. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

Cool shops and garages!

29. Looks awesome Steve! I can't wait to get my hands on a copy. I think you will sell more copies in the US than NZ with some distribution.

30. ty166

ty166
    from illinois

i would love a copy of this book.............. can i interest anyone in shippin one to the states ? :D:D