Register now to get rid of these ads!

King Pins

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BUICKNAILHEAD, May 21, 2005.

1. BUICKNAILHEAD

BUICKNAILHEAD

Getting ready to replace mine as they are well worn. I greased them first thing and it's official, they are toast. I searched tech and this board for info on "how to" couldnt find anything. Just this thread.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12983&&showall=1

Should I not attempt this for my first time? For a '49 Blacky Green dropped drilled axle. Any help is much appreciated.

NAILHEAD

2. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

Unless you have a parallel reamer or line boring machine, I wouldn't even think of doing the bushings. Find a good local machine shop for that. Assembly is not a huge deal, but then you'll need an alignment...

3. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I'm getting ready to do some in the next few months, but I think I'm going to step up for Stainless Steel Brakes' "royal king pins" - they use roller bearings instead of bushings. Never used a set, but heard they're very good.
    http://www.ssbrakes.com/products/detail/3394/?make=Ford&model=Passenger+Car&year=1940

4. Mutt

Mutt

Ernie - I just installed those in my '32. I noticed the price is going up on them recently. Easy install.

Mutt

5. Do a search under kingpins. Go the last page, at the bottom, under Raven 61. Sorry, couldn't get it to link.

You CAN do it! Basic mechanics; just send out the spindles to have the bushings pressed and honed to size.

6. poncho

poncho