Register now to get rid of these ads!

KIng pin cotter pins HELP!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54velox, Jun 12, 2010.

1. 54velox

54velox
    from Australia

Hi All,

I'm in the process of putting the front end of my A Model back together after paint (new build).

I'm using an I beam as is obvious in the picture (I know I should have cleaned up the beam before paint).

The problem I have is that without the kingpin in, I can push the cotter pin in, nearly all the way. With the king pin in, the cotter pin doesn't seem to go in far enough. I'd be lucky to get the nut on 2 threads. I've been using stainless steel cotter pins with a long nut that doubles as a stop.
    Thinking they may be the problem I tried a standard cotter pin and encountered the same problem.

My questions are 1) is this acceptable (doubt it) and 2) how the hell do I get the cottoer pin to engage further? I've attached a pic which shows how far the pins go through (not enough room for a washer).

Any help or advice will be appreciated.

Cheers

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  2. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Have you got the cutout in the kingpin properley lined up ??? They often do seem to not go in far enough but a few taps with a hide mallet will see them in enough to get the nuts on.

3. As long as you have the flat slot in the pin lined up with the lock pin hole, and the lock pin is installed from the proper side, you can give it a few smacks with a Man's hammer. You are driving a tapered pin in here, and you want that king pin secure.

If you don't have those pins snugged well, and tight, there is a possibility that the king pin can loosen up and move in it's bore. Not good, as this will screw up the hole in the axle.-MIKE

4. 54velox

54velox
    from Australia

Thanks for your replys.

The cut out is aligned correctly. I checked and double checked. Do you normally run a washer on these?

I can probably get a nut of far enough and use a bit of Loctite if I dont need the washer.

Cheers and thanks again.

5. jrsiron

jrsiron

Make sure the tapered hole does not have a lot of paint buildup. Install the tapered pin with no lockwasher and tighten. After it is tight , remove the nut and install lockwasher, re-tighten.

6. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Was the axle freshly dropped? I've heard that sometimes the lock pin holes streaches a bit during the dropping process and needs to be cleaned up with a 9/16" drill. I'm not sure this is your issue since you say you can put it in almost all the way with the king pin out, but might not hurt to check.

7. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

BTW-that's NOT a "cotter pin". It's either a king pin lock bolt or a steering stop. A cotter pin is a small diameter split pin which goes thru a hole in the end of a bolt and thru the "castellations" on the nut to keep the nut from turning.

8. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Ah Dale ! Yes it IS a "COTTER" in places where the Queen's English is spoken. American usuage you are correct. Ya know the old hood =top ,boot=trunk thing.

9. 54velox

54velox
    from Australia

I'm thinking that I'll bin the washer and use Loctite on the nut.

In Australia we do call it a cotter pin. The pin that goes through a bolt to stop the nut coming off, we call a split pin.

The differences do make me stop and think sometimes when I'm searching for things.

Your fenders = our mudguards
    Your hood = our bonnet
    Your trunk = our boot

And the list goes on.

Thanks again for the replys.

It's fantastic to be able to jump on here and post a question when your stuck and are looking for information and knowledge. To have access to such a HUGE amount of info and experience, and helping each other out, is part of this wonderful hobby we call hotrodding.