Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods King bee headlight vs blinker/parking

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Grm5959, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Grm5959

Grm5959

So I got a set of king bees for my 32 ford. Has the built in blinker/parking light. When I pull switch one click, parking lights come on as they should. I pull all the way and headlights come on but parking stay on. I always thought parking shut off when headlights are on. Any idea what’s going on?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What is the light switch you are using from? Some will keep the parking circuit active when the headlights are on. Or you may have the parking lights wired to the taillight circuit.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^^^^ Ebbspeed nailed it, it's in the switch not the light. I don't think that there is a way to circumnavigate it on the switch either.

4. Aftermarket harnesses usually use GM switches; if you want the parking lights to go out when the headlights come on, you need to get an earlier switch. Can think of the year brake this second; but mid '60s. Plug is the same.

5. American Autowire uses the GM switch. The switch had two possible positions for parking light wire. One park stays on with headlight, other park light goes out with headlight.
    Diagram for wiring headlight switch is available on their website.

Phil

6. Here is a late switch compared to an early switch. The early switch has a extra terminal for separate parking lights. If you have the right switch; you just have to switch the wire; on the other hand most kits that I have came into contact with have the late switch. American Autowire's drawings illustrate an early switch; but wired like a late switch.
    Headlight switches GM_LI.jpg

7. Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    RICH B likes this.
  8. Grm5959

Grm5959

Thanks so much for all the replies.