Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kinda OT: Anybody else have Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny1290, May 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Man I started this thread 5 years ago!

It's never been as bad as when I first put a name to the symptom and realized I had it.

I think it kept me up for 3 days then and I was out of my gourd.

If I don't think about it, 99% of the time I don't even notice it. I also usually have a fan or a radio on, though, to help mask it. Some people say the lack of sound causes the ear to make the ringing sound. I found this on wikipedia:

"The sound perceived may range from a quiet background noise to one that can be heard even over loud external sounds. The term tinnitus usually refers to more severe cases. Heller and Bergman (1953) conducted a study of 100 tinnitus-free university students placed in an anechoic chamber and found 93% reported hearing a buzzing, pulsing or whistling sound. Cohort studies have demonstrated damage to hearing (among other health effects) from unnatural levels of noise exposure is very widespread in industrialized countries.<sup id="cite_ref-8" class="reference">[9]"</sup>

Truthfully there doesn't seem to be any easy answer. I remember first hearing it when I was a kid and wondering if others had it.

I got accupuncture a few times that helped when I felt actual pain in my ears. I don't even believe in that stuff, I just did it to eliminate it as a treatment, and I'll be darned if it didn't help.

I've heard of people going to the looney bin and other more permanent solutions and that scared the hell out of me when I first discovered the symptoms. That *doesn't* have to be you. The less I think about it, the better off I am. It sure took a long time for me to forget about it though, like years. I'm now *super* aware of loud noise, and I just got back from a movie tonight and I plug my ears in the loud parts becuase I'll be damned if I'm going to make this any worse if I can help it.

I'd rather save my ass than my face, and that means wearing ear plugs at concerts, too.

Good luck and hang in there! It gets better!!

2. davo461

davo461

On a positive note; it is kind of nice when you can hear the wind wistling through the trees, when you wake up on a still morning!

3. Phucker

Phucker
    from Kansas

Tinnitus sucks.

There are times it has gotten to me, and started to drive me a lil crazier then I already am, but for the most part I can kinda block it out anymore.

Air tools, open headers. Sustained speeds of 120+ on a motorcycle, with no ear/wind protection really does a number too.

4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

What's that you say? What do you mean the TV is too loud?

Yeah, me too. Gary

5. Earplugs please, metal bangers!

6. Same exact deal here. I'm training myself to lip read. Swear words are the easiest to pick up for some reason.

Mine started about 20 years ago after a sinus and ear infection that went mis-diagnosed for too long. I do have some hearing loss in both ears and had a hearing test done.. they asked me if I had ever served in the artillery!

Too many years of fireworks, stock car races, unmuffled cars on the street, air tools.. it all adds up.

Bob

7. Machobuck

Machobuck

na man, I was laying down and rather worried at how bloody loud my ears were going off.

8. hell yes ..after the REO /JOURNEY concert last night .. hope it goes away

funny i just googled this and then the HAMB pops up .. hope it goes away on its own

9. Tinnitus runs in my family. My grand dad, my uncle, myself. My ears have been ringing as long as I can remember, my left ear is the worse of the two. On a bad day I cannot sleep with my left ear down it is just unbearable.

I think there is a difference between tinnitus that is inherited and that which is caused buy damage to the cilia in the inner ear. I think that both have the same final effect.

I have read a miriad of causes for tinnitus, high blood pressure, sodium intake (which leads to high blood pressure in some), too much loud noise and so on and so forth. I think that all contribute or can contribute to the condition but I don't think that any one is the primary cause of the condition.

I do feel for someone that is developing tinnitus later in life. It can be hard to get used to I am sure. It is just one of those things that if you have always been that way you just don't know any better.

10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Bump. Just wanted to report that I've been pouring Marvel Mystery Oil in my ear for a month now and my tinnitus is gone!

Not really..

Just been perusing miracle cures on you tube.

Wife just told me my electric razor was still on in the bathroom. Coulda fooled me. But once in awhile, like 3-4 times a year, the ringing goes away for a bit. Blood pressure drop, low sodium? Wish I knew. Actually the ringing doesn't bother me, got over that long ago, but can't hear over it.

Welp, off to the store for some garlic and clothes pins.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had it for more years than I can remember. I jumped out of bed and ran outside a few years ago to see what the hell all the birds were doing in the tree next to the house and not one frigging bird except the doves that have lived here for years.
    Right now it rivals being in the canary department of Pet Smart. .
    A year of putting a lot of rounds through a M60, a number of years of being around race cars, a few years in factories and just the noise of working in an automotive shop for years.

12. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Had my neck fused 4 yrs ago, One morning during my recovery I was sitting in the living room watching TV, It was like someone flipped a fucking switch...My ears started ringing and they have never stopped. I researched it and one possible cause came up as disc damage at the base of the skull. Dr. said he's never heard of that. For me silence is DEAFENING! Have to sleep with a fan on even in Winter. Sucks when the power goes out. Gettin old ain't for pussies...

13. Got it now
    Comes and goes
    Like an idiot I used a grinder without ear plugs today
    Wonder how long it lasts this time

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Thought it was required for membership to the hamb?

15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

33 years in a semi truck and I have it too. I have only had one truck with straight pipes, and only had two with pipes by the doors, the rest had them behind the cab. I think a lot of it was the diesel engine sounds coming through the floors and firewall. Operated some diesel equipment before I started driving trucks too, so add that in as well I guess. I only notice mine when I'm in a quiet place, no tv or radio, no fan or heaters going, etc. I think it is probably worse after driving with the windows down or something with loud pipes, then it goes back down to a dull ring.

16. squirrel

squirrel

I didn't have it when this thread started...but I do now. It's not bad, I only notice occasionally.

stealthcruiser likes this.
  17. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

You get it more when you lay awake in bed all night scheming [just saying:D]

18. desotot

desotot

24 seven.I was born in 56 ringing started in about 84 and now its 24 seven. Darn air tools.

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. Been ringing for about 35-years.

20. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

played in a band and drove big trucks. it's like a warm summer day, i'm walking through a field and hear the bugs singing all the time!

21. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

24/7 been ongoing since about 1965 or so.... well over 50 years.... :( :(

LynnW

22. leon bee

leon bee

24/7 since the spring of 1971.

23. Roothawg

Roothawg

I thought everyone’s ears made that sound......

fauj likes this.
  24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Funny, but if you don't know the difference, you would think that. It's just like us folks that are colorblind, we don't know the difference. I went to a DR once for a physical and we were talking about being colorblind, he said he had already been out of med school several years and in his own practice when his nurse pointed out that he was colorblind. He had been through med school and didn't even know, he had studied general medicine, not vision.

25. About 10-12 years for me, it is what it is.

26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Far less on the basket weaver message board.

27. My dad had it.
    The ringing was bad but his occasional dizzy spells were horrible.
    A real nasty situation for those involved with it.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  28. I'm about 28 years in with mine and I hardly notice it. Oddly for some reason my hearing has gotten better in the past couple of years. The ringing is in my left ear, which odd again, is the ear with the best hearing. If I have a real bad ear infection, it gets real loud. That's when I head off to the doctor. I also have a partially clogged sinus cavity that a sinus cat scan showed up, this explains the ear and sinus infections I'm prone to. My ENT is hesitant to do anything surgery wise since I'm hard to intubate and my insurance won't cover an office procedure that should open the passage and let it drain.

29. rudestude

rudestude

30. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I was told that I had tinnitus about 15 years ago. I thought that the noises I heard were normal. At least it helped me get a partial VA disability. It was attributed to being in the infantry when I was in the army.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.