Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kinda O/T What is your everyday car Import or American

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6t5frlane, May 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry_Rolls&Pleats

Jerry_Rolls&Pleats
    from Europe

My daily driver is a '98 Camaro V6. The power is quite good for a V6 (it's the 3800 V6) but still it's nowhere near as exciting as the 350ci V8 Camaros. Also I find that the ride is too "modern" (too comfy). Before that, I had a C4 Corvette convertible and it was so much more fun. I only bought the Camaro because it was a fantastic deal (I bought it for half its value). Now I'm putting the '98 Camaro for sale, and I'm probably gonna buy something a bit older and more powerful.

2. TxRat

TxRat

'04 ford powerstroke crew cab lariet..

Second baddest truck I have ever owned....

3. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I drive a 2004 Corolla everyday..I wanted a low payment and something I could drive cross country, which I've done a few times. With gas as expensive as it is, I'm glad to have it!

4. 1954Belair

1954Belair
    from Santa Rosa

I'm gonna get it for this, but...

My daily is a '87 GTi it was free and is cheap to keep on the road. The hatchback makes it a great parts hauler.

My backup is a '59 Bug it was almost free, and even cheaper to keep on the road. At least its old...

The '54 is a project, but I'm really bustin ass on it, so it can be my daily...

5. toledobill

toledobill

The family car is a 2004 S-10 crew cab (3rd S-10 since 1996 bought for hauling around an unfinished '27 T roadster -- the T is still in pieces).

Wife's car -- the original 1990 Mazda Miata we bought from our daughter in 2004.

Daily rodder -- an 1940 Chevy 2-door with the typical SBC/auto.

Project -- the same '27 T pile of pieces I've been planning and acquiring parts for for ten years now.

6. NoBackPressure

NoBackPressure

My daily is my '60 Chevy Biscayne. Gets 20-25 mpg w/the 307/700r4 driving to the Jalopy Showdown. Once in awhile I'll cruise my 67 Impala vert, my newest car. My winter car is my 64 Bel-Air rat. Will never own a foriegn car, even if it was given to me...;)

7. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I wouldn't own a rice burner if my life depended on it. It's old Fords and new General Motors rides for me.

8. 54 chev gasser

54 chev gasser

my dailys are 92 gmc pu 2wd 305 auto freebie 84 dodge ramcharger lifted 8" 35" tires girlfriend drives a chevy tracker idont mind foriegn cars they keep the southern states working since thats where there built right to bad we cant build are own cars here though huh was a foriegn car mechanic for 10 years ill tell ya they build some good stuff far superior to the crap we put out

9. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

I have had since new a 1995 Ford Mustang GT Convertible......last of the pushrod 302's.......still runs like a Swiss watch and neither valve cover has ever been off in 11 years and 98,000 miles......black with black top and saddle leather interior......

A great daily beater and whole lot of fun with the top down and the Mach 460 soundsystem cranked up!!! I might just keep it forever....

(except for the gas mileage ;^(

Brucie

10. Uh, if it's a Crown Vic, it is a foreign car... 51%

Just so you can bash me back, I drive a '96 Isuzu (S10) Hombre, body was stamped in Brazil, assembled in Baton Rouge, LA. I beat the living shit out of it hauling and towing things it was never meant to haul and tow, hasn't been washed in 2 years and the pain still shines after the rain washes off the major filth. built in the USA, over 51% domestic content.

GF drives a '05 Corolla, also built in the USA. Traded in a '96 Saturn that was built in the USA, it was taking a shit with only 80K on the clock.

If it was 1963 I'd buy American, todays world is different. If you buy American, the leadership of American companies are doing everything they possible can to make money for THEMSELVES, not the workers, not the copmpany, not this country. The fact that the stockholders make money is only so they can hold on to the job longer.

11. johnnykck

johnnykck

My beater car is a 1972 chevy El Camino, 205000 miles on it, all original except for exhaust and aircleaner! Still running strong but I think it will be gettin' new carb some time this year and a new distributer, the shaft is wore out!

12. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

Lexus SC400 , 68 Mustang and Model A Sport Coupe.

13. spicoli

spicoli
    BANNED
    from in a house

when i was younger i was bitten by the vw epidemic and thought that was it for the rest of my life but then i got smart and wanted resale value in my automobiles so i bought a 1953 chevy 5 window truck and now i bought i bought a 1962 pontiac tempest with the slant 4, transaxle, and factory air. not too sure about resale value with the 'pest but it is pretty cool though.

14. Doug F.

Doug F.

My daily driver is a 61 T-Bird Convertible. My 17 year old daughters is a 66 Riviera. My wifes is a 03 Olds Silhouette (minivan). I have owned 4 imports (British and Italian) in my life; 59 Triumph, 77 Jaguar, 77 MG and 71 Pantera. I have never owned a rice-burner, never been tempted, and never will.

15. Ricks57

Ricks57
    from San Diego

My daily driver is the new Hemi Charger R/T in black. I wanted rear wheel drive performance but am very impressed with the handling of such a big car. I've installed the SRT body colored grill in place of the stock chrome crosshairs and the Daytona chin spoiler.

16. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

My DD is a 93 Saturn SC2, 1.9L DOHC motor with 125 HP, I average 30-31 mpg in my daily commute and everyday driving. I paid $2k for it because it was in exceptional condition, but there are plenty of SC1's (SOHC motor) and SL1's (4dr) for $1000. BTW it has 157,000 on it with only one clutch, motor has never been open except for cam chain replacement (required at 100k), and it doesn't leak a drop of oil. It is as American as you can get, from Spring Hill Tenn., and is even UAW made. They are great cars! And I can tell you that it walks away from any Honda Civics or their derivatives that are stock. I was looking for a CRX when I found it, and all the CRX's I saw were POS's compared to it. A bonus is the plastic side panels, the car has no dents after 13 yrs, how many cars can you say that about?

17. My daily driver is an import...But seeing as I'm in Oz, it's an American import... :) A black '05 300C on 22's :)

Backup is a 98 Ford (local Aussie Ford) Falcon Ute,

After that, it's the lowrider pushbike :)

After that, I just sit in my pikcup project and make vroom noises :)

18. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

WOW I did not think I would get that kind of response....Ptetty varied bur lots of US tin is being driven by hambers

19. I am a Ford guy...and Drive the most popular one here....F-150...mine is a 81 and is the 2nd newest car I have ever owned(I drove an 87 caprice before I wized up and quit driving chevy's!).....

as for the do you buy everything american...I try my best....electronics are hard to buy american but just about everything else you can do....oh and I also buy from local businesses as much as possible...support the little guy, screw the big guy...

Fuck Walmart!!

20. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Wife's car: '02 VW golf TDI, 45 mpg is nice right now, construction quality weak. Car is built in Mexico, drivetrain built in Germany.

My car is an '05 Chevy silverado, built in Canada.

As others have stated, foreign cars seem to be built here, American cars somewhere else.

This may piss some people off, but I think that the Unions involved with production of American vehicles are killing the Domestic Auto industry. Doesn't GM have to pay something like 17,000 people full salary and benefits, but they are not allowed to work? How can you remain competitive with expesnses such as that? This isn't meant as an attack on our workers, it's just that the whole corporate structure is the death knell of our Auto industry.

21. Chapulin

Chapulin
    from Hell Monte

Duramax crew cab....it's what pulls all those fords out of the sand.

22. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

those are nice sleepers, when i decide to upgrade i am going to get an STI wagon. can easily make 300 hp and it looks like a grocery getter, just need to pop off those STI badges. :D

23. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

the blue room or what ever they call it: go to work and sit in a room all day!. the wallstreet journal did one hell of an article on it recently. kinda disgusting.

the unions of america have served thier time, but they are becoming the outmoded dinosaur of the 20th century. as business and society continue to evolve they are hopelessly stuck, mired in thier greed and blinded by thier own self importance.

any questions? look at the Longshoremens Union...evil group of very horrible beings.

24. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Well as my name suggests, I'm kinda big on Chevys. So my daily drivers are...Chevys! I drive a 99 Silverado Z71 shortbed standard cab and I absolutely love it! I've driven lots of other trucks (Fords, Dodges, etc) and never had as good of a ride as this truck. It has a 350 so it scoots and tows like a champ! In the summer I drive a variety of old cars due to my job and sometimes I get to drive my own summer car, a 2000 camaro with t-tops. Pretty soon though my 48 GMC will be done and I will drive it every single day!

25. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Went from toyotas which never broke to a 2000 Z71 and wife had a 2000 lincoln Ls, The GMC was great but started getting transfer case problems,and the LS was a total heap, so now I am back with a Toyota Landcruiser and wife has a BMW X5, who knows what'll be next.

26. LuckyBastardMiguel

LuckyBastardMiguel

well for the most part my daily is a 57 f-100 but if I wake up to late for work I got to haul ass on the 06 Hemi Magnum:cool:

27. BADASSOLDS

BADASSOLDS
    from NY

1990 Lincoln town car on tru spoke wire wheels. For the daily usage

28. mikaelmtb

mikaelmtb
    from Denmark

I did drive my 48 Chevy as my daily for the last two years, but now an old Volvo 142 from 1969 takes the duty!

Shown here with 35 boxes of beers in the trunk!! :D (Just in case of a breakdown!)

Attached Files:

29. Beemer

Beemer

My daily (pic) also have an '82 Fox body GT supercharged (first car I ever owned). Owned this one since December '04...love it.

[​IMG]

30. Jalopy Johnny

Jalopy Johnny

I needed a family car so I got me a 1999 teal cavi-lac. Along with my 53 210 and the front half of a 1930 model a.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.