Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kinda O/T Question for All You Artsie Types That Work With Fonts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodladycrusr, Feb 20, 2007.

1. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I'm looking for a font for my vintage cooler. I want it to look like chrome. I have it visioned with kinda peaks going down the center of each letter and they are shaded. The letters have depth and thickness and kinda look like they are raised off the paint. The most important feature is I want them to look like chromed letters.

I see them in my head....anyone else see them too???:rolleyes:

The cooler is freshly painted black and has some awesome lines already applied. I've got a pal lined with to paint HotRodLadyCrusr across the top as soon as I pick out the font. This cooler is funtional and will be perfect in Big Olds to carry my beverages.

I need font help please!

2. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

If you goto www.stickerjunky.com they have a bunch of fonts, but they aren't in color or 3D. Might help get you started and you can look at them for free!

3. willys33

willys33
    from New Mexico

Look for a REAL sign painter. This is a guy (or gal) who knows what a brush is and not a vinal weeder. They are experts at picking fonts, colors, use of space etc.

4. Gigantor

Gigantor

You can pick a font in photoshop - then apply an emboss filter to it to get the "peaked" effect and give it the floating three dimensionality. Then you can play with the layers and colors to give the text a chrome feel (highlights, lowlights, blues, browns, etc.) This is a cinch to get done on the computer, but if someone wants to paint it on - they'e going to need some mad lettering skillz. Good luck.

5. the-rodster

the-rodster

Attached Files:

6. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

Denice... What are you thinking?! Just take it to Ray and tell him to have fun with it.

Vance

7. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Thanks buds. My eyes have gone kinda buggy looking at all kinds of fonts. I thought maybe someone might know of exactly one that might suit the bill.

The sign painter with the mad fab skills that is doing the job just sent me something that I think will work. The first few he sent weren't exactly what I had in mind so I just wanted to gather more ideas to pass along to him.

Lets see if I can post this here
    [​IMG]

8. Denise:
    Why not do it like the chrome script on the side of a car? Italicized and connected at the bottom.

9. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Denise..... when the autorama is in full swing...hit the panel jam and peruse the work....then hit your charm dial to max........You will get what your looking for.

graverobber63 likes this.
  10. mikes51

mikes51

11. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Yep, the "Cars" logo is exactly what I had in mind. Perfect, I'll pass the idea along to my mad fab sign painter that will be doing the work.

12. roadracer

roadracer

13. Airconditioner was the first one to come to mind,
    and there is at least one more similar,
    on my other computer.(which isn't here right now)

14. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I agree... have the painter work his magic. Bring him the Cars DVD and have him have at it. No better way... plus its personalized in his own style. One of a kind... like you.

[​IMG]

15. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

He's working his magic as we "speak". He's been watching this thread and sending me samples via email today. This will get buttoned up and done this weekend I'm sure. I'll post photos afterward.;)

graverobber63 likes this.
  16. JonnyRockets

JonnyRockets

Hey - this work?

I didn't play around with it to long - I can make changes to colors / outlines etc.

[​IMG]

I can also make "shadows" darker or more pronounced. Do different fonts.

17. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

dafont.com is good

18. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

[​IMG]

or check out some old therm-a-chest coolers.

19. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

BTW - i have those pleasure chest vinyl decals someone made up for me if you would like one i think i have cream/white/black/red?

-Rob

20. chaddilac

chaddilac

21. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Thanks bud, I really do like it and it's kinda similar to what larry is working on, just not with the outline. So many ideas, it's making my head spin.:D

My vintage cooler is very close to a "Pleasure Chest" it's got the tray inside which I really wanted to keep things outta the icy water. Mine had near perfect paint on it BUT I didn't necessarily want that vintage cooler look. I wanted it painted shiny black with lots of striping and cool hand painted stuff on it, like a flying eyeball, rat fink, tiki something or another, you get the picture. Thanks for the offer of the decals though, much apprecaited but not what I had in mind. Some hand painted lines or something else from you would be very cool though!;)

Thanks to eveyone for the font links. I've got them all saved for future reference.

22. Denise - here's a one minute quicky for another idea...

[​IMG]

23. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

WOW! I really like that as well Dave....you guys are making this WAY too hard.:D

24. Zombilly

Zombilly

Chrome Lettering was a big thing back in the early eighties for airbrushers. The basic layout is this. The letter whether it is 3-d or whatever begins with a black outline and then a white outline inside of that. Then if you are going to do it in color softly spray your sky color from the top down towards the center. Less is better as well as using a light color for the sky. The center of the letter needs a strong contrast color for the horizon so use black there and allow the black to creep up the white outline a bit. Above the horizon line must be pure white. Below the horizon line use black and let it blend into the color of the ground in a rather short amount of space and fade back to white with a little more color near the bottom of the letter. after your done remove the mask that is covering the white outline and shoot some of the sky color near the top and some gray near the bottom to give it a more rounded feel.

25. smalltownspeed

smalltownspeed

Isnt Ryan a mad man when it comes to fonts? Didnt he do a post on it before? And do any of yall know of any cool refrence materials on vintage lettering/font's? Some of that stuff is prety damn cool.

26. sean72

sean72

27. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Thought you guys might want to see the final product. OldBobSign did an AWESOME job....exactly what the customer, ME, had in my head. Thanks to everyone for helping get my thoughts outta my head with your ideas and suggestions.

I will be using this cooler in Big Olds this summer and will be asking striper pals along the way to add lines to it. :cool:

I tried to get the lights reflection off the lettering
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Thanks so much for the kind words, Denise, it sure is fun working for a fellow artist.:)

It was also cool to see all the suggestions, there were some really great ideas submitted, thanks to all who took the time to share.

For anyone who may be interested, the lettering was done in white gold leaf using 12 hour French size. The leaf was burnished hoizontally, then each letter was carefully masked with lowtack vinyl and re-burnished at a 90 degree angle to create a convex look. The letters were then outlined in two shades of gray with white highlights and then varnished. Never tried it before but in the sunshine the effect is pretty cool. The striping was done in "Concord Smoke", the color of Big Olds and is just a basic design for others to build on as Denise travels the country. I can't wait to see what gets added!

29. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

30. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

My dad was what was known in the trade as a showcard writer from the 40s thru the 80s and I used to stand over his shoulder trying to master his technique. All those guys used the old Speedballl lettering books for style ideas and many modified them to their own taste as they developed their repertoire.

I never heard the word font before computers came out and quite frankly a font style is not necessarily something you want to reproduce with a lettering brush. I suggest you go to a few car shows and seek out the cars with showcards and find out who did theirs. Usually its a talented striper. Find one of those guys and explain what you want.

I only have one request: DO NOT DO LETTERING IN ALL OLDE ENGLISH CAPS - it's so uncool and inappropriate.