Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kinda O/T EFFING WASP'S!!!!!!! what do i do to get rid of them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by True till Death, Aug 3, 2007.

1. True till Death

True till Death

so i have 2 project cars at my buddys house for storage, and i go over to work on them here and there. i went over today and i knew of two wasp's nests in one of my projects it's an 82 camaro z28, the other is a 51 ford custom.

i had no bug spray so i used engine degreaser and it worked well. maybe 4 wasp's tops got out between the 2 nests. they where buzzing around the camaro so i figured i'd give em time to calm down and i can kill the rest. so i start working on the 51.

half an hour into the 51 wasp's start to come over and check out the car and pretty much try to sting me. i turn around and there is 50 to 75 bees all around the camaro, 10 to 20 bees around my daliy driver i used to get to my buddys house.

now i know i only let 4 wasp's out tops where the hell did the other bees come from?? how do i kill them? if i go over there tonight and have bee spray and spray the nests i know about i doubt it will take care of them all. i know they didn't come from the nests in the camaro but they where buzzing around like they wanted in. it took me half an hour to get to my car to get out of there anytime i got 5 feet away from the car about 4 would come and try to attack.

help!

2. Kinky6

Kinky6

Get a beekeeper to take them away. I'm not kidding. Bee populations have taken a hit in the last few years, and beekeepers use them to pollinate agricultural crops. If they are bees, they're valuble to somebody.

Now, if they ain't bees, but are yellow jackets or some other nasty stinging critter, the sky's the limit. Some of y'all may remember from last summer, a guy about 30 miles east of where I live had a nest that filled the entire back seat of a '55 chevy full of damn yellow jackets. :eek:

Good luck! :cool:

3. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

If you wait til night then you should bee able to get them all. Since you sprayed during the day, some were out and about doing all sorts of Bee shit. At night they are all back at the nest. Use wasp and Bee spray and they'll bee gone. Personally I'd let em have the z28, but that's my bullshit opinion. Beesides all that, good luck. -(:))

4. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

You should be able to get a bee-keeper to take them for free or damn neer it.

It might take some foot woork but that's better than killing them. Bee populations are dwindling.

Count yourself lucky, all I got are F-ing wasps...

5. Yea, wait till nite after they have ALL returned to the nest. Those "others" bees were already out scouting, when they returned and figured out something wasnt right about their nest they just kinda hang around. Be careful with them, no one likes to get stung!

6. I have been working on my 61 caddy coupe and have been finding tons of mud wasp nests so it looks like my car was a happenin place once upon a time. I have about a pound of mud wasp nest on the floor of my garage in various piles but when I picked up the car there was nothing active.

I do have a lot of problems with wasps around my house so I have to do a sweep regularly or I get gang raped when I mow the lawn around my stack of car parts in the backyard!

7. 29ZZ4FORD

29ZZ4FORD
    from NWFLA

Brake clean!! All purpose bug killer.

8. True till Death

True till Death

the z28's going to fund the 51. it's going as soon as i put it all back together. and the more think about it its wasps or yellow jackets not bees

9. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Get yourself a Beekeeper's Hood and a pair of gloves and go to work.
    Just Kidding.
    I think you can call a Beekeeper and he'll come out and take them from you.
    I had a bee hive inside an old car seat frame and called a Bee Keeper guy and he came out and took them (free Bees??? I Guess). Give it a try.

10. RacerRick

RacerRick

I have tons of problems with yellow jackets around my shop.

Old school brake cleaner (which is pentane) will knock them right out of the air. If you are really worried bring a lighter - instant flamethrower.

11. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

my friend gram got attacked by killer bees after flipping a car back over , he called the city and they sent out a bee catcher and he had to pay the bill . try craigslist under free bees.
    had to move gram up a class to bee modified !

12. sir

sir

...find your wifes stash of "fabric softener sheets" and throw a hand full in your car or as close as you can get, sounds strange but they won't go near them..or just wait till night when there resting and spray the crap out of then and crush the nest....

13. B.SUTTON

B.SUTTON
    from Peoria, IL

Keep a good sized CO2 fire extinguisher handy in case they attack...it should snuff a swarm fairly effectively. Remember that, unlike bees that sting once and are done, a wasp can sting over and over again.

14. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

couldnt eat outside for bees so i got a ballon painted gray hung it on the side of house they never came back.. there dont like another tribe they thought it was a big nest

15. Anyone save that pic fo of the 55 full of a Wasp nest?

16. It would be a good idea to verify exactly what type of critter you're dealing with.There are several types of bees(honey,bumble,and carpenter)that have different hives.Honey bees usually are hive creatures and rarely sting unless truly provoked.Bumblebees and carpenter bees look similar(black and yellow bodies)but carpenter bees bore holes in wood.They especially are fond of cedar and are rarely aggressive.

Mud wasps(or daubers)usually prey on spiders.Hornets(especially the white-faced variety)are very aggressive and can both sting repeatedly and bite at the same time.Usually build small honeycomb-shaped nests in corners of garage eaves.Use regular hornet spray;knocks them out of the air from 30 feet.

There are several varieties of yellow jackets;the worst of which build nests underground.Very difficult to remove.I tried to remove a nest one night with near disastrous results after getting bitten repeatedly while trying to work on my car.Oh yeah;I was sixteen at the time.

The nest was built into a mound in my back yard where it went from one level to another.My car was down in the lower area next to my grandfather's grape arbor.

I waited until dark and then poured about a gallon of gasoline into one of the entrances,let it set for a few minutes and then dropped a match into the hole.

The only smart thing I did that night was to turn my face away when I did it because the resulting explosion not only sprayed me with dirt and pebbles but broke a window in the house about 50 feet away,woke up everyone in the neighborhood(including one very pissed off grandparent)and brought the fire and police departments there in about 5 minutes.

To add insult to injury the next day there were several HUNDRED VERY PISSED OFF yellow jackets flying around the demolished entrance and stinging anyone that ventured anywhere near them for about 3 weeks.

NEVER underestimate the latent heat value of a gallon of gasoline!

17. tomcat46

tomcat46

I had my house painted last month. One of my painters found a golfball size wasp nest. I knocked it down and stomped on it. Wasps kept coming back and trying to rebuild the nest in the same spot for a few days and they were really bothering the painters.

I usually just spray them with whatevers handy, wd-40 or whatever. I didn't want to leave any oil residue where we were going to paint. So I sprayed the area down with brake klean. The wasps never came back.

Tom

18. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

If its wasp then just buy a can of wasp spray and be done with them. if its bees the the cheapest thing would be to find a bee keeper and have them remove the nest. (Im a bee keeper) in your post you start off with wasp thn say its bees. a little carification would be good. Bees once the queen is removed wil still fly around for a day or 2 before they all leave. God luck!

19. badriand

badriand
    from tx

Wsp spray fly seconds before dropping, brake cleaner or carb cleaner instant death. Like everyone else said wait till night because wasp bees don't fly at night, or a cold spell. Wasp get a little more aggressive if you get to close, bees tend to leave you alone unless you go asking for trouble. I think there is a saying of some sort a white face bee friend a fellow and a black face is bad (don't remember the saying).

20. seadevil

seadevil

Brake cleener. Generic kind sold at advanced or any other parts store. Evaporates, will shoot a stream about 12 feet and kills any bug it touches. I use it around my place in South Ga for all types of spiders, bugs my wife and kids scream at and especially wasps. This stuff drops them in mid air and they die in seconds. I stood with a can out by my kids playset and dropped atleast 10 in mid air.
    Happy hunting

21. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

dip your nuts in wet sugar....when come flyin attcha, smack then with a fly swatter....unless your a chicken...your not a chicken are ya mcfly??

:p:D

22. Definitely identify which insect you are dealing with. In this day and age nearly any beekeeper will come and recover the bees free unless he has to drive along way to get to your place or it involves cutting down a tree or removing a wall in a house.

You probably have a beekeepers association in your community that your county officials can put you in touch with. I even used to get calls from the local Air Force Base Entomologist (insect control officer) to remove bee swarms. I once removed a swarm from a refueling boom on a KC135 aircraft on the flight ramp. Talk about gathering a crowd!

Seriously though contact your county extension center for help. If nothing else they might be able to help you figure out a deterrent to keep the wasps / bees away. I used to put moth crystals or mothballs in closed spaces (car interior) and it seemed to help. Moth crystals have napthalene in them if i remember right.

23. chitbox dodge

chitbox dodge
    from dunlap tn

two years ago we had a real issue with yellow jackets. they built a monster nest in a wall of our house. we did some research and found out that just like a lot of other bugs they are drawn to light at night. i was sitting in the back room one night which had a french door. i noticed a lot of thumping on the glass about 2 am in the morning. crazy bastards were trying to get into the house because they say the giant white light from the room glowing outside. i waited til the whole door was covered with them and sprayed the door down with some of the long distance wasp and hornet killer. the next morning i had 1000's of them laying dead on the ground in front of the door. so if i was to advise anything, try that.but know too that so longas theres a queen youll have them coming back repeatedly.

24. ubolt

ubolt
    from colorado

If they are wasps you may want to try one of those neon yellow traps from HomeDepot or wherever. We stayed at a KOA that had one up. It had 50 plus live wasps in it! We have one at the house and it works okay. I'm sure location of the trap makes a big difference.

25. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I know it sounds stupid but I take a one gallon freezer bag fill it full of water and put a penny or two in it. I usually double bag it. pit them up around the peremiter of your work space. I have 2 on my balcony. Works great. It registers

to the bugs as a spider web. Their eyes can't see it clearly so they stay away. I have problems on my balcony with red wasps. but not anymore....

26. rdefabri

rdefabri
    from NJ

Listen to Safariknut - he nailed it.

What you have are NOT bees, they are likely wasps - paper wasps. Bees (almost any variety including Africanized) can sting only once and they die, so they tend not to be aggressive. Africanized aside, you don't typically have to worry about bees.

Yellow jackets, which build the underground nests are by FAR the most dangerous of any domestic stinging insect of wasp/bee/hornet nature INCLUDING Africanized bees. Yellow Jackets are everywhere, EXTREMELY aggressive and, unlike bees, can sting repeatedly!!! Typically, a nest will have 500+, and you only need about 500 stings to DIE.

Mud daubers (wasps) won't typically bother you. Paper wasps either, unless you disturb the nest (which you did). A paper wasp is the wasp that builds the honeycombed nest that resides usually under a soffit. They are not aggressive but if you disturb a nest they will attack. Like Yellow Jackets, they sting repeatedly.

Now, it's possible you MAY have bald-faced hornets. They are about second to Yellow Jackets in aggressiveness and you should NEVER mess with the nest. You can have 1000+ in a nest the size of a football. These nests typically hang from trees and are enclosed, looking like a balloon covered with Papier Mache.

In all cases, if you think you should do this yourself, do it at NIGHT ONLY. Even 50 wasps, stinging you repeatedly, will cause you harm. I'd only use wasp spray - WD40 and the other stuff about may not kill them and only piss them off more. Plus it's a waste of good material that should be used on your ride.

Why do I know all this? Well, when my first daughter was born, we brought her home from the hospital and noticed a ton of wasps flying around our truck. She was only 2 days old - thank God we didn't disturb the nests that we located in the jamb RIGHT NEXT TO HER INFANT CAR SEAT!!! Had to be 6+ nests, each with 50 or so wasps. Damn near crapped my pants, as I am allergic to the MFers. So I got the spray and they were killed in due time, but you don't want to fuck around. They get into small spaces and they'll keep coming back unless you kill and remove the nest.

In the future, if possible, garage the vehicle. If you can't, then move it from time to time. Otherwise, they'll return.

Good luck

27. This one?.....

Attached Files:

• Bees.jpg
      Bees.jpg
      File size:
      13 KB
      Views:
  28. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

We had alot of red wasp nests, 409 cleaner will kill the hell out of them.

29. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

I got stung on the back of my neck yesterday by a yellow jacket messing around a junk pile. I've got a nest at the house about 8" in diameter and sprayed them with a can of wasp and hornet spray. I killed a bunch of them but they are back and seems like more of them. I figured out that you have to destroy the nest after you kill them. Those little fuckers hurt man.

30. turdytoo

turdytoo

Back when I was dirt trackin I had a wasp invasion. I fired the methanol burning small block, closed the shop door and just let it run about 10 minutes. It ran out of fuel and we didn't open the doors till the next day. Problem solved.