Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kind o/t...Are we all natural hoarders/collectors??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loggy, Jan 1, 2008.

1. 1oldrat

1oldrat

I try to sell everything as quick as I can.And I still have a garage full of stuff.I clean it out and fill it back up at least 4 times a year.It is a disease.But I enjoy it.

2. GlenC

GlenC

I was taught to hoard by an expert!

When my pop died in the late 80's we helped clean out his garage. It was a huge triple door barn type, and it held just two vehicles. his 70's Ford Falcon wagon and his 16 foot caravan. The rest of the space was filled to the rafters with 'stuff' he'd hoarded over the decades.

We found vintage Meccano sets, valve radios, pedal sewing machines, home made bamboo fishing rods with bakelite reels, even bunches of old tennis trophies from before WW2 hanging like grapes with wire from the rafters. I also found spare parts for every car he'd ever owned, from his 1926 Pontiac tourer that was destroyed in a fire in 1943 right up to his current car.

It tok us weeks to clean out the shed, and guess what... The vintage fishing gear and the parts for the 26 Pontiac are now in my garage!

Cheers, Glen.

3. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

To me, guys and gals who get a lot of cars and parts and do something with them are collectors. Hoarders are those who get a lot of cars and parts and never do a thing with them and won't sell or trade them. "Gonna get to it someday...." is a common excuse. Collectors tend to look after their stuff, hoarders often do not, leaving deuce coupes and the like out in the elements to rot. This topic has come up here several times before, and I wish I knew what the answer was when it comes to dealing with hoarders.

4. Throw money at them. Works for me.

Then again, about the only thing I'm not collecting or hoarding is money, so...

Well, no, that's not entirely true. I have a tub with rolls of wheat pennies, old nickels, and silver coins I've saved out of change over the years. A couple years ago I got a well-worn 1856 quarter in change at a gas station(!)...

The other thing that works on hoarders is to come up with something they just have to have.. and trade for what you want.

5. ...if you haven't checked this post out yet do so, very related
    In Praise of Clutter (anyone dare to post pix?)

6. you betcha im a pack rat 5th generation and if i find something chrome or polished i will usally bring it home for future use or somebody might need it..

7. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

I'll call you anything you like.:D

I'm NOT a hoarder.........I just happen to BUY and STORE everything I can so people like YOU jokers don't HOARD it.:D

8. Noland

Noland

Of course we all are just ever time I go to get rid of something I think of what my dad always says "once its gone,Its gone"

9. no55mad

no55mad

Caraholic here too - can't get enough of it!

10. collector

collector
    from madera,ca

.................................................:).......:D.........;)........:rolleyes:...........:cool:......:eek: