Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kickin' my Butt !!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Customline Vicky, Feb 19, 2009.

1. OK, I give up! I have been workin' on my T-89 overdrive for the last 3 days. Basically I took the tail shaft off of one and am putting it on the other. Simple enough. When it came time to put the tail shaft on that slider rail WILL NOT go into it's hole in the tail shaft. I have had the tail shaft on and off dozens of times the last 3 days and I'm no further along than I was when I started. I know someone on here knows some little trick to do this. When I get it where I think it goes the slider rail will not slide front and back. I can sort of turn it with a pair of vice grips but it won't move lateraly. It has a flat surface that I assume goes into a flat (one side) hole. This is killin' me and I know somebody on here has went through this. Pics below ..

Photo0001.jpg

Photo0003.jpg

Thanks to the one who knows ........... !!

2. Damn, didn't think I would ever see it. The experts are stumped. Who'd have thunk it?

3. Well after about 3 weeks of that thing kickin' my ass I finally got it together today. What a pain in the ass this has been. The problem with that shaft not moving was that the spring that it goes to was stuck in the hole and when I put it together I guess it got caught and went into the hole. After takin' the tail shaft housing on and off about a dozen times I finally took the shaft out to check that hole. Cut the boogered end off of the spring and then put it all back together. Went together just fine, then found the damned spring laying on the shop floor so had to take all of that shit all apart again and put the spring in there. So today got it all back together and still something was wrong. It wouldn't go into reverse and sometimes that shaft wouldn't go back and forth. Finally I did something (have no idea what) and got the side plate back on and everything works ........ Soooooooo that's the end of this saga. Now jut to put the finishing touches, get an overdrive cable, check on the speedometer housing to see if it's the same as the one I've got now,check the driveshaft/ Ujoint stuff and then put it all in.

4. Sounds very frusterating, but atleast its donr! right?

5. Yep, got 'er done and it was a bitch. Still need to know if the speedometer barrel and gear will work from my old 3 speed on the T-85/89. I hope it will, don't need that aggravation.

6. chopped

chopped

You realize this makes you the T89 go-to guy.

7. I've been in that bitch, that's fer sure. Only problem is I don't know what I did to get it to work. Don't that just piss ya off, you do something and it works and you don't know what it was? They are the same as a T-85, just was in trucks.