Register now to get rid of these ads!

Keyword Searches and useless lingo / abbreviations

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doctor Detroit, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

One thing you see often on the HAMB is "use the search function". I often see people try to create their own lingo when referring to parts, cars, etc. This really makes searching a pain in the ass. Flatty, tranny, trans, pumpkin, burb, merc are all acceptable nicknames, but don't make me search every conceivable nickname, lingo, abbreviation, etc.

Can we make it easy to search the threads by using the correct terminology we all know and use at least ONCE in the thread, preferably the initial post?

2. metal man

metal man

Also the best reason to use proper spelling.

3. Don't get me started on "keywords". Almost impossible to search anywhere because of them

4. 2racer

2racer

what's the diff?

5. 117harv

117harv

Searching the whole post will drasticly reduce your results. Doing a search on thread titles only is the way to go, but...

When members do a thread title that they think is clever, one that gives no indication of what the thread is about, they are making the info contained within almost worthless as it will never come up for someone searching a particular subject.

Also, a search on thread titles with ( wtf or wth) in the title and see how many come up...

6. 2racer

2racer

all this makes me dizzy

7. I hate it when the title is "I'm looking for" or "I have a question". Then they don't mention what it is they are inquiring about for several sentences, so even if you hover over the title, you don't know. You have to open it. I always give the vital info in the title, best way to get an answer.

8. 2racer

2racer

when you get mad try twerking, elimiate that stress...

<CITE>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twerking</CITE>
    Twerking is a dance move that involves a person shaking their upper hips and lower hips in an up and down bouncing motion, causing them to shake, 'wobble' and 'jiggle ...

9. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

This isn't a rant, it's a suggestion for making the Hamb even better. If it doesn't matter to you, or you don't understand my point, then forget about it and move on to the next post. I don't expect everyone to be on board. Maybe those that do read it and agree will make a conscious effort to make it easier for the next guy to find whatever information is being discussed.