Register now to get rid of these ads!

**KEVIN LEE & The American PIE CUT Special**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dayuum that's cool...Merry Ho Ho Kevin and the momentum is more than returning a warm smile from this front row seat...thanks for sharing the inspiration of past excellence...

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sorry it has taken me so long to find this build, really like the chop, windows look perfect. Bob

Stogy likes this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This seems an inspiration or a comfortable fit between a Bob Roddick creation and the Chrisman Coupe...thanks for Sharing the journey @Kevin Lee

t10.jpg

t11.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=1732

The accompanying Artworks are pleasingly Complementary to the real deal as well and you're still at it...fantastic, fantastic...fan F'n tastic...

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    kidcampbell71, Tuck and cactus1 like this.
  4. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

@Stogy – Yes! I honestly can't fully remember the chicken/egg situation on that particular car but I do remember that photo popping up around the time I had started mine. Truth is I was oddly and partially inspired by a '34 roadster that ran a split windshield that looked to be a cut down '37 item. "Skinning" a later windshield frame and applying it to my A became the end goal. Just had to find the correct candidate.

I was set on a heavily stomped visorless and Chrismanesque Model A coupe that could be driven on the street and (fingers crossed) eventually Bonneville... and took inspiration from a few strange places. I can tell you that Lucky's coupe was started at nearly the same time pretty much in a hot rod scene vacuum. (between us anyway) Seems we both had similar ideas and played it close to the vest but eventually outed ourselves and even traded some ideas.

The Wade coupe was barely a glimmer in anyone's eye at that point. I went with Lindsey to buy the completely bone stock A that he had planned to pattern after DW's "Austin Mangler". Deuce frame, big engine, no chop. But after staring at my coupe being stored in his basement at the time his plans changed and the rest, as they say... I even remember a late night phone call from Dallas to my tiny one car garage asking for a few measurements... then a call back several minutes later to ask if I was SURE I had chopped it that much? :D

It has been fun
    It has also at times felt like a millstone around my neck
    I have a new shop now with plenty of room
    So we'll see where this all goes now
    Low boil

cactus1, kidcampbell71, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whatever the temperature quality takes time...never any pressure on you Builders...I am blown away and am always glad when I in search get Networked back to past Excellence here and either rediscover or witness a period inspired build or restoration...only to find out it's still being perfected...I'm envisioning Your Coupe alongside Lucky's at the Lakes or Strip...what an incredible inspired historical renaissance that would be...Happy Holidays and my Christmas presents come from many directions...Thank You Kevin...;)

Just Gary and Kevin Lee like this.
  6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I had always figured that the two wheeled jewelry he has been making the last few years was just practice and sketches for this coupe.

I’m thoroughly looking forward to whatever this becomes, whenever it becomes.

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How's the American Pie coming along Kevin?...no pressure, just like the oddballs...

James D likes this.