Register now to get rid of these ads!

**KEVIN LEE & The American PIE CUT Special**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Indocil Art

Indocil Art

rat rod bullshit aside - because I'm convinced it has scared more than a few people away from building what they really want simply for fear of being labeled with it. Fuck that. So I just wanted to take the knowledge I have now and start building a hot rod the way I would have back when I was first taking notice of hot rods, but still ignorant enough not to be tainted with all of the superfluous rules. I'm sure a lot people don't like it. It's all good.

Preach On Brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a great comment. I consider this bullshit with everything I do on my current build of my 53 hudson. It drives me insane when I screw up and let it control any decision on my project. I try to just build a hotrod like I want and quit worring about as you put it the Rat Rod Bullshit! AMEN!!!!!!

By the way Rock on the car looks great!

2. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

3. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

The laid back windshield & pie cut door windows...damn, I like it! Why hasn't this been done before???

4. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

You think like I do. (Scary right?)

Looking good Grimmy...

5. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've heard about this....but wow!!

6. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I think keeping the curves in the '36 windshield gives the design an element of risk that would be eliminated by going the '34 style with the square bottom lip. And I think that is cool.

7. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree.

Also, someone said something like, "why hasn't anyone done this before?" Well I don't think what I'm doing is entirely without precedent. Chrisman Bros, Bass, and I'm sure a lot of guys over the years have reworked this area of a Model A. Lucky Burton is doing something very similar with a heavy nod to the Chrisman Coupe right now. My approach might be different than others, but I'm just hoping to finish this car and drive it.

It's a weird thing, I create these lines for myself that I do not like to cross... and some of them will contradict. I appreciate everyone's input, but I'm not really into reshaping the later frame to look like a '32-34. You'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I'll get some more pics up when I make some real progress.

8. Lookin good, stick to your guns AND vision.

9. NealinCA

NealinCA

I wasn't suggesting that you square up the corners to a point like a 32-34...just tighten the lower radius a little to closer match the side windows...

10. hammeredabone

hammeredabone

Kevin, I just find it hard to believe this is your second build! Damn, that looks good!!!!
    I love were you are going with this.

11. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

I love the way this tuning out. No compramising the vision. Keep chopping.

I really want to see this in person. I am drawn in for a closer look. I want to see the winshield meet the cowl.

I was also thinking that you could donte the waiste from all the pie cuts to Jay.

Jeff

12. dusty

dusty

Kevin,
    I am usually around on the weekends thrashin on the duece. If you need to use the english wheel to make some redesigned pieces, grab some metal and come on.
    dusty

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Wow, thanks man. Really good to see you on here. Definitely want to come check out the Deuce. And I'll take you up on the e-wheel offer too. I'll see if I can scare up a trailer and pull it out there sometime soon for some roof panel fitting.

14. farm boy

farm boy
    from reedley

Hey Kevin; It will look bitchen when done.
    Good friend of mine did the same to his '31, but not quite so radical, he started this chop and overall rebuild in '81. His inspiration was doyle Gammel's '32. I would check in weekly and believe me his looked just like that. I give the guy credit! he stuck it out and turned out a beaut..after some 40+ years he got his "Duce". Heard the wierdest comments, he just tells them it's a 31 & 31/32nds
    Best of luck on your build, OLY

The cancer car lives
    Give to cancer research

Attached Files:

Gotgas, bowie and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. racerjohnson

racerjohnson
    from Fargo, ND

I second that. Cut it up. These cars aren't priceless. Seeing your vision come to fruition is.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

So THAT's where those HAMB drags t-shirt signs went.....

17. Greezy

Greezy

Kevin way to go man. Sticking with a vision can be a little hard sometimes, when we let the crap get in the way. Im loving this build.

18. Can't believe I missed this one.
    I love it Kevin. Keep your vision pure.

19. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I can't believe my eyes. There are fewer and fewer cars that genuinely intrigue me. Kevin, your car is one of those cars. Like the others, I can't wait to see the progress.

20. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks for the good words everyone. Been making progress in baby steps so it's a bit closer to being presentable, but no big changes. I'll get some more pics up when I think I have something interesting to show.

21. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Kevin, the same old pictures are interesting enough to show.

22. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Is there any way to post any sketches you got of how you're hoping its gonna work?
    Did you get one of the mag artists to draw something that your not showing us!?;)

I think it will look cool with the front window hinged like stock '36 and A's,
    if you're doin that anyway.
    Chopped A coupes with the window cracked open look good to me.
    What happened to the '35/36 that it came from?

Keep on it!
    TP

23. Hey Kevin, I'm glad to see that everyone is as impressed as I was with your project. Having seen it in person, I can say that it is indeed a "Wicked Pissah." Let me know if you need some extra hands...

24. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

Building from behind the eye, zen - like, you look at a thousand different cars and one forms inside your head - you twist it a tweak here a little shove there - oops erase that, ahh, there it is. tried putting it on paper - doesn't work flat, get out the blades, talk to the metal ~ it tells you where it needs moved - close you eyes and look from the other side > a little Beatles and it's done - Come Togeather Over Me............

25. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I got a sketch from Norwell trying to convince me to run a Deuce grille. It may start out that way when it first hits the road, but I will move toward something more streamlined pretty quickly.

I want to have a working windshield and door glass. The '36 it came from is somewhere in Texas. Flat top Bob flat rules. He hooked me with the frame and surround.

26. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

A few updated photos. Nothing great.

Best shot I have of the whole car right now. Want to finish the front (windshield) before I show it again. There's a new axle in mocked up in front. (V8-60) Looks better. Narrow.

Adjustable rear perch. Based heavily on something I saw in an old magazine but I am adding the center of the A crossmember. I am using an a spring so it makes sense with the spring and saves me a little time. Probably will not end up drilling those holes. Too much – they look silly. Have the cardboard patterns made for a couple of gussets to tie the whole thing together. I think it's going to look neat. Should be able to go from stupid rake to neutral with nearly any tires.

And finally the project that has been keeping me from finishing the perch or roof. Yup, it's for the car. I couldn't resist posting this picture but I want to have it completed before I post another photo of it.

Attached Files:

27. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Looks good Kevin.....I like the rear spring adjustability...
    What are your plans for the roof? And the crown above the doors?

28. blackout

blackout

BBBBBadass Hot Rod

29. VanHorton

VanHorton

nice man, ive been waitin for updates on this for a whiiile, looking good!

30. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Hey Kev....just messing around again,.......
    Follow your instict and don't stray.

ha ha ha
    [​IMG]

brEad likes this.