Register now to get rid of these ads!

**KEVIN LEE & The American PIE CUT Special**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

As some of you know,Kevin has been cutting, grinding,chopping and welding away on his laid back,hit hard bitch'in A coupe We discuss this at times and he sent me new progress work.I have seen a few threads on laying back the posts and Kev's vision is bang on.
    I tell ya one thing.. he ain't afraid.
    pure guts.

I will let Kev take it away......

[​IMG]

Sancho, chryslerfan55, brEad and 2 others like this.
  2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

3. I like the 1/4 panel checklist!

Stogy likes this.
  4. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Hey Kevin... the red line indicates the drip rail thing were we talking about....
    Is that what you were thinking?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sancho, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

6. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

T-MAN

Kevin reminds me of that Mad Man....writing notes EVERYWHERE...
    NO FEAR HERE.....

Sancho, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  7. metalshapes

metalshapes

8. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

:eek::eek::eek::eek: Speechless

Stogy likes this.
  9. Things would still weld better if he blasted em first:D had to get that "oldie but a goodie" in for ya Kev:p

Stogy likes this.
  10. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I have said this before in a different thread, but I think he's got balls.
    I think it looks great.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  11. chaddilac

chaddilac

Dreadman, I hope you're not saying his balls look great?:D

Very killer.... can't wait to see the finished product!

hotrodjack33 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Damn Kevin, I've never seen an A cut quite like that. KICK ASS.

What is the windshield area from?

13. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

seems YOU should know!??!!???!!

i think:confused:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I have been thinking about this stuff for a while. Studying cars I liked and trying to figure out exactly why I liked them. Also looked at a few that missed the mark and took note of why I didn't like those. But when it comes down to it I came up with what I thought was the best plan and started the work. So much stuff you wouldn't even think would factor in, but you have to look at things from all angles.

For instance, after I had cut the A pillars away and started to put them back on, I realized they needed to come in a bit on each side. (at the top) So I went from just laying the door posts back to cutting the doors so many ways it's crazy. I want working door glass. So I pie cut the structure on the outside of the window channel to pull everything back square. Had to taper the entire top of the door so the glass will still sink into the door tops. 1/4" at the front and taper that all the way to the back then weld it back up. Working the inner door panels so they will still look nice and also section the garnish to fit. All of this work for a half inch or less on each side, but if that is how you see it how could you do it any other way really?

The chop is severe. Ended up being eight plus inches. I don't know. The idea for me was to just set all of the rat rod bullshit aside - because I'm convinced it has scared more than a few people away from building what they really want simply for fear of being labeled with it. Fuck that. Not to sound corny but if it were chopped any less I would always see it as a weak attempt at my vision. I'd rather put the visor back on and forget it. I know some of you are probably saying "YES... you should do that, dumbass." So I just wanted to take the knowledge I have now and start building a hot rod the way I would have back when I was first taking notice of hot rods, but still ignorant enough not to be tainted with all of the superfluous rules. I'm sure a lot people don't like it. It's all good.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  15. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah man. '36 Ford. FlatTop Bob = my hero.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. Yes. Yes it is.

17. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I like it Kevin.

I'm interested to see the way you resolve the drip rail / a-pillar / windshield frame and header / cowl area. Got any drawings of that?

I'm assuming you're going for an early serious dry lakes look?

I like the out of the box thinking and look! :cool: It looks mean as hell..

18. I've seen a few top & windshield header swaps on A's recently that I didn't care for at all but I think I like where this one is headed. Can't wait to see more. Thanks for keeping us posted.

I'm anxious to see if you screw it up or nail it dead-on.

I'm betting you nail it.

JH

19. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

That is really sweet.Really encompasses some of the cool period pieces of the 50'/60's.Pierson Brothers,Chrisman, et all.The other thing is he works in a small one car garage.A testament to "you can do it if you try". Really impressive.

20. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

. The idea for me was to just set all of the rat rod bullshit aside - because I'm convinced it has scared more than a few people away from building what they really want simply for fear of being labeled with it. Fuck that. Not to sound corny but if it were chopped any less I would always see it as a weak attempt at my vision. I'd rather put the visor back on and forget it.

That sez it ALL for me:)

21. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Besides the metalwork, I like the way you think....

CC

22. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Gotgas/Harisson - Here's a quickie sketch – basic shape. I have the metal to do this. Norwell and I have been discussing drip rails and the "thin red line" is one idea. I'm going to take the drip rail that is there off, rework the corner, then put it back on letting it end as I see fit. Might be nothing more than a slight downturn at the end and traveling a half inch or so down the pillar.

And thanks to everyone for the good words. Pretty stoked to hear it.

Attached Files:

23. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

pure insanity.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. You still have plenty of time to screw it up. ;):p;)

I'll be watching & praying for you.

JH

25. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Already have some cut lines marked on my donor quarters for that. Basically I will be splicing a small square from the corner of a quarter window into that kink to smooth it out. If you take a close look at the shape of the reveal at the door top where it tapers to the front – it has been taken from the rear of the opposite quarter window.

Have another set of A-pillars to cut up and make the inside/upper corners of the door openings too.

26. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

No. Not really in to that.

27. The '36 windshield? Who'd'athunk it? That makes this project for me. I like to see imagination in builds. Keep up the good work and keep us in the loop...

28. 31whitey

31whitey

that thing already got the look

of a

WICKED PISSER!

im scared of it

29. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

It's a lot different when someone has vision, you sir obviously have one. Follow it... It makes all the difference between a radical car and a rat rod. You seem to be executing your vision very well. And you seem to be paying attention to the whole car and not just a mish mash of things just for the sake of doing them. Bravo...