Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kendig Carburetors... Need some help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by [email protected], May 9, 2009.

1. xxllmm4@hotmail.com

[email protected]
    from Oregon

Hey everyone,

I have 2 brand new vintage Kendig race carburetors in the box with stickers no less! I am wanting to install one on my blown SBC and was wondering if anyone had any experience using them. I'm mostly concerned about the idle speed. I'm looking for around 800 RPM's its a custom twin m90 supercharged Chevy 383.

So before I make them non virgins I would like to know if they can be idled down that low. There is so little information on these I would love to here anything you got!

I know Kendig sold the design, or re design to Predator and in a lot of ways they are the same, the Kendig just looks like a much better put together version.

Thanks
    Jordon

2. xxllmm4@hotmail.com

[email protected]
    from Oregon

I just took one apart to get a better feel for it, it looks like there the gaps around the air doors are larger then on the Predator :( I would guess the air leaking past the air doors is what makes them idle so high. I wonder if some rubber or leather gaskets could be made to tighten up the carb and make it seal better?

3. twinturbo496

twinturbo496
    from Cypress

Where in Oregon?

Did you see my 46 ford?

4. twinturbo496

twinturbo496
    from Cypress

On the three predators I had, the air door gaps all were different, swapping parts around really didn't seem to improve the gaps. Basic problem is seemed to be the square design. I considered taking a dominator base plate and making a "square to four round" spacer so that it would seal better, but instead I just put on a pair of 750 AFB's and now it idles much better than it ever did with the predators. After about 2000 miles, I can say that the predator's had better throttle response, but not as good on fuel economy.

5. xxllmm4@hotmail.com

[email protected]
    from Oregon

Thanks for the info, i'm in the big city of Cornelius. I just did a lot of work on my Predator, polishing all pivot points including the fuel cam. Tightening the air door gaps, silicone on the backfire flaps to prevent air leaks, blocking off the end fuel holes on the spray bar ect. An air straightener in the air cleaner adapter. Its supposed to make them run a lot more consistent on the street.

Jordon

6. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

i ran apair on a blown small blk hugh idle was a problem ,so i removed the doors and peened them along the edges to strecth them filed for a good fitand reinstalled with locktite . i would install doors and hold up to light to check for gaps it took a few tries
    wayne

Tim likes this.
  7. apound

apound

I know a man who worked for Kendig back in the early days. PM your e-mail address to me if you want and I will forward it to him. He really knows alot about Kendig carbs. If you will look at the photo in the instruction booklet that came with your carb you will see a picture of the engine that was in my Comet back then.

8. apound

apound

This Comet

Attached Files:

9. dutchman

dutchman

Have a study of the Kendig in Freepatentsonline. The whole description of how they function is described in detail.

10. fordsgalore

fordsgalore
    from Texas

Jordan, do you still have that Kendig? Would one be for sale?
    Ken

11. xxllmm4@hotmail.com

[email protected]
    from Oregon

Hopefully this works... My wife scanned the Kendig manual years ago. There was a supplemental notes page that I don't think is included in this pdf but I'll try and find it. I think I'm going to try and put it on my truck this spring without the blowers.... Wish me luck LOL.

So some people already know this but several years ago Mr. Kendig passed away and had 40-50 new in box carbs in his garage. These where sold on ebay and I got 2 of them. Does anyone know if anyone is actually currently running one??

Attached Files:

12. xxllmm4@hotmail.com

[email protected]
    from Oregon

EDIT: the supplemental notes page IS included in the pdf.

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Somewhere in HAMB's ten zillion posts I remember one on GM triple carb setups that used goo...epoxy? to build a slight ledge for sealing throttles on GM secondaries. I think there was even a respectable connection, like a GM attempt to tame new car triples that were just too sloppy for normal tuning. Sounds crazy, but I swear it's on here somewhere and it sounded almost sane after I read it.
    Hammer tuning the actual blades is pretty scary too when there aren't any spare parts available...

czuch and [email protected] like this.
  14. carbking

carbking

Bruce - the stuff is called DAG-213.

I suggest not using it. (573)-392-7378 (9-4 Mon-Tues central time).

Jon