Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ken Gross article

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by noboD, Sep 27, 2013.

1. noboD

noboD

If you guys have a chance read Ken Gross's article in this weeks Old Cars Weekly. I've never read an article from him I've agreed with more. It deals with REAL hotrods and AACA. He suggests a historically significant hotrod class like was discussed several years ago. He even uses basically the same guidlines. Car has to have known history, magazine, TV, movies, etc., can't be a clone or made up car. As it is now two cars, built to same specs, but one raced down a dragstrip once with proof and the other didn't, the car that raced once would be accepted the other not. It's time AACA listened. If you have any connections to the board of directors talk sensibly and try to convince them the time has come.

2. This is way overdue.:)

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Here's a really stupid question... and I sincerely ask this as someone with zero knowledge of the AACA.

What exactly do they have to offer the historical hot rod and custom world? I mean, why would we as a group want to be accepted by them? Is there some kind of payoff to it?

4. 31Apickup

31Apickup

In actuality they would only be accepting a select few, only if your car has know history, etc. What if I pull a hot rod built in the 50's from a 50 year slumber, some guy back then built it, drove it around town a little and that was it. So that car would be excluded. What's the point?

5. oldolds

oldolds

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thats my initial reaction as well.

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah, I get that... But what benefit is it for the guys that own these cars that are accepted by the AACA?

You'll have to excuse my extreme prejudice against any kind of bureaucracy. It runs in my blood...

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Most 'hot rods' and 'customs' will never grace the green lawns of Pebble Beach, to be Pedigreed by Don Oroscoe and the 'Legion'.

AACA just may be the answer for authentication for these lesser than Pristine examples.
    I see it as the Crowning Glory for some 'Unsungs'.

Scarecrow, Tin Man...

9. noboD

noboD

I see your point Ryan, but for that matter why does anyone show their car? Maybe it's partly self gratification, that the car is accepted and appreciated by others. AACA is the largest car club, about 65,000 members. Their interest is to preserve the history of the automobile. We all know some hotrods have a lot of history, or we wouldn't be here on this site. They allow race cars, fire trucks, coachbuilt ambulances, etc. Probably the favorite classes at Hershey are these, which are not " as delivered." There seems to be more and more cars that would never achieve an award being shown as a do not judge.

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ok, first off I retired from AACA Judging after 30 years of it, was really active in the Race Car Class. I'm not going to reveal any info that isn't all ready known, and I haven't read the Ken Gross article yet. I really like seeing the "Documented Race Cars" in class 234A & B, and Dry Lakes, Bonneville and Drag Racing cars are welcome, and the spectators really like seeing them. The problem with a "Hot Rod Class" is explaining what one is and how do you judge it. If two '29 Roadsters on '32 rails were built in 1960 one with access to Kent Fullers shop and the other by a kid and with a hacksaw and gas welding set up, chances are the Fuller shop car will look better. Both would be correct period pieces, but how would you judge them? That is the problem as I see it. Sure there are INDY 500 cars side by side with Joe Adverage stock cars in the Race Car class, and that somehow works. The Hot Rod class will be an uphill battle, but I'm willing to help. Bob:)

11. My 2 cents! I market many high end cars for clients. The AACA Junior and Senior awards really seem to mean a lot to people regarding the ultimate values of their cars. A #1 car judged as such by any large organization like the AACA, NCRS (Corvettes) etc. becomes part of the provenance of that car.

For original cars and trucks, Muscle Cars, Corvettes, Survivors etc. the awards are very desirable. For Traditional Hot Rods and the cars we cherish, I'm not sure how we could relate to an AACA Senior award if we did win one.

I guess we have to look at Peeble Beach and what those Hot Rodders went thru to get their historic cars on the grounds at that prestigeous event. I'm not sure if I would bend over backwards for the AACA unless there was some extremely tangible or worthwhile reward at the end.

Murph:cool:

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think I'm way too lowbrow to have a dog in that fight.

13. I had the pleasure of taking Frank Morawski's 27 T Bonneville roadster to Pebble Beach in 2010. This roadster was built in the early fifties by Fred Carrillo of connecting rod fame. 176 MPH in 1951. Frank did not restore that car to win trophies at Pebble Beach, he restored it because of his love of the cars that this forum supports. To have 9 Bonneville racers lined up in a row recognized at Pebble Beach was a honor to all involved, the original builders, and the restorers, and the AACA, and mostly the public.
    There is no answer here, but I will cherish that day, and shaking hands with Alex Xydias and many others. Thanks again to Frank Morawski for giving me that opportunity.

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I totally get that. That sounds like fun... and not "scrutinizing."

15. The times they are a changing and the old totally original like they left the factory AACA mentality may be at a point where they need to re-evaluate their thinking.

The hard core restorers are fewer and farther that they were a mere 30 years ago.

I don't ever see me being invited to so anything I on in a AACA event but if you look at the V8 Club of America which I am a member of Hot Rods are becoming more acceptable to the membership.

What we as hot rodders will derive out of a relationship with AACA is yet to be seen,,possibly a little respect from them,,,nah,screw them! :D HRP

16. It looks like the problem would be in judging vehicles of this type and I get that, but maybe the AACA needs to just have a class for historically significant hot rods, customs and competition cars where they are not judged but simply welcomed for display only. There would be a certain "elevation" of status for these cars and owners just by being recognized as such. It's all probably a moot point as I don't see it ever happening and like Ryan says, I will never have a "dog in this fight" because I will never own a car of that status, and frankly I'm not sure I would want to.

17. oldolds

oldolds

That idea would be nice. As it is, at the Hershey show ( largest AACA show) The officials give you a hard time if you have a hot rod for sale in the flea market and it isn't allowed in the car corral. You can have Hot Rod parts for sale though!

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

I think a non judged class may work, this thread should be filled with ideas of how to make it work, and not knock AACA. Every car that has won at Hershey in the Race Car Class and gone on to a Rodders Journal feature had a shot of the AACA plaque, so it means something to the guy doing the photo shoot. I really have no idea what a AACA "Hot Rod" class whould have in it. Well built never raced cars, every car Ed Roth or other builders of his era built? Many questions, and nobody to realy answer them. Could someone post a link to the Ken Gross article? Bob :)

19. noboD

noboD

That is mentioned in the article. The reason for that is the parts COULD be used on a race car which is OK. If the car is a certified race car it can be in the car corral. The car corral chairman is an egghead, but that's another story. "37 it's not posted on their website, mine just came today and I'm not smart enough to copy it and email it to you. I'll save it and give it to you at hershey.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

This is the second go round on the Hot Rod Class idea. First time fell through because the cars that would be in the class couldn't be discribed to the powers that be, they had STREET RODS on their minds and a real fear of Hershey turning into a Goodguys meet. A clear cut defination of what a Hot Rod is and the years it was built in is job one IMO.

21. oldolds

oldolds

37kid is right on target about describing hot rods. Heck, we have a hard time here and we pretty much all understand what we are talking about.