Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Kelsey Hayes Bent Spoke, Real Deal?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 351cmach, Feb 15, 2018.

1. 351cmach

351cmach
    from Ma

Picked up a couple of these today. Are they what I believe them to be? The sought after Kelsey Hayes 40 bent spoke wheels? They have a "KH" marking on the backside, they measure 16"x4" 5x5 1/2. If they are, what are they worth? Not for sale just wondering if I did good. :)

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  2. flatford39

flatford39

Those are the ones that I look for.

harpo1313 likes this.
  3. swifty

swifty

Yes looks like you've got 2 excellent examples of pre-1940 Ford KH wheels. Should be worth at least $100 each.

4. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I bought a set of wheels just like those. Freshly powdercoated, zero rust pits, and a straight as an arrow. I paid $200 each and I think I got a screaming deal.

I also bought a single one at Little Dearborn ..... It was advertised as a 16 Inch wire wheel, Bent. I think they intended to say it was a bent spoke KH wheel ... got it for $10 ... perfectly straight and rust-free as well.

Nice ones are hard to find.....

harpo1313 likes this.

5. Yes, you did real good

6. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

$100-$150 around here if you can find them

7. About $200 each if the are straight when you spin them.

Charlie Stephens

8. The last set I bought I paid 200 bucks and that was about ten years ago.

I would think a nice set of 4 that are not pitted and straight would fetch 500 bucks. HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  9. 351cmach

351cmach
    from Ma

Thanks for all the reply's. Glad to know I bought what I thought I was buying. I got them at a very good price :D

10. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

I go to a lot of swaps in the southwest. Even though I have not used the Kelsey bent spokes on any recent project, somehow I always ask the price. Since the trend in current years is to larger and larger diameter wheels, the 16" is not with the trend. We see more 17" and 18" Ford showing up while those wheels were virtually dead, partly from tire availability, just over a decade ago. Buy the Kelseys if you must, but don't count your chickens. Good Luck: Fred A

11. fortynut

fortynut

Fashion changes, Culture remains. So said a famous Russian Film-maker. Traditional parts are the backbone of Old School Hot Rods. Kelsy-Hayes Bent Wire rims used by those who built Hot Rods back in the fifties and sixties, (that are, now, called era specific traditional), resonate with me. If prices go down, good. Some build their rides to suit themselves; some to please others, and it spices things up. As to tires, I was taught business is supply and demand. If Coker runs out of sixteen inch tires, maybe Towel City, or Diamond will have something. If not there, betcha someone else will. And, the beat goes on.

Hnstray likes this.
  12. guy1unico

guy1unico

The KH are cool and will always be worth good money.
    I really prefer the regular spokes on early Fords because they show more space which makes a car seem lighter looking..

13. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I agree with Guy here. I realize these were sought after for the old fords but I just don’t like the look of the bent spoke as well. In my mind they have the look of a new aftermarket. Weird I know.

14. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Just thought of something about putting the Kelseys of fading glory. I have a '40 in the chassis build stage. Nobody that I know ever tried the spoked wheels on a car where spokes aren't expected. The use of taller Ford spokes and taller rods, I expect to fly in the face of the stance addicts. Just look back and notice that the so-called traditional is subject to a lot of wishful thinking. As traditional as it seems, or not, there still are aberrant trends like chopping the hell out of everything, that ultimately will not be ignored. Good Luck: Fred A

15. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I threw that idea around for a while.
    Old Good hearted Moose here photoshopped a few changes for me a while back.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Deuces and Steven Rizo like this.
  16. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Looks like Fortynut figures that 16s are will be available for a long time. I tend to agree and caution to those, including myself who invest in the '32-34 Ford wheels for that taller look as we lack the sheer numbers, where using Ford as the example, ran from '35-'48 on passenger cars, and beyond for pickups. At my age, I should worry? But it is a very real consideration. So how does all this figure for the OP? It all speaks to the value of his find. Call it overworking the question, but as you can read, I overwork nearly everything. Good Luck: Fred A

17. Kelsey was repoping them in the '70s ( maybe even in the '80s?) but they look right and if they say Ford or KH on them they are Kelsey's. I cannot tell you when they were made nor can anyone else but they ought to be worth a pretty penny.

Seems like the going price for about any old Rusty wheel is 50 bucks so that gives you a starting place on value.

18. hoodprop

hoodprop

I have a set on my T Bucket. I have been tire shopping and the prices are high depending on the look you want. Coker Tire told me 1300 for 4 6.00R16 Radials tubeless.

19. Dave's32insocal

Dave's32insocal

20. Actually 16" tires were hard to come buy inn the '70s, 16.5s even became hard to find by the '80s. But they are plentiful today. They are a common car tire again. That said, if it were me I would not put a radial on an old spoke wheel. If you could find it in a modern wheel, like I referred to earlier a Kelsey that was made in the '70s or so, that would be a different story, but a '32 for example given its age and the fact that it may not have been well cared for in the last 80 (or so) years may not take the stress of the added bite of a radial.

21. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Any body have any kh bent spokes for sale? I'm looking ! Who make the best looking reproduction of these

22. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Yep, never out of style. Mine with Big and Little Firestone Bias Plys
    20170429_132416_resized_2.jpg

Hotrodmyk, Deuces and hfh like this.
  23. alchemy

alchemy

I bought a single Kelsey adjustable bent spoke at the Springfield swap meet for a rat-killing deal. Figured I'd never find three more, so put it in the classifieds. Guess what? I found three more in the classifieds and they arrived last week! I've got less than $350 in my complete set!

IMG_1577.JPG

I'm currently searching for mates to my 16", 17", and 18" non-adjustable bent spoke Kelsey Hayes if anybody has lonely ones they want to get rid of.

24. Now that's a deal. I like the later adjustable spokes. But that probably comes from my days ( decades?) with motorcycles and being able to true a wheel that has gotten out of sorts.

25. alchemy

alchemy

Are you saying that if these have a wiggle, you can fix them?

26. Yep you can even replace the rim with one of a different width or a new one if one gets trashed. That's the whole idea of having adjustable spokes. Lacing and truing is easy once you get a little practice.

Petejoe likes this.
  27. alchemy

alchemy

I meant YOU can fix them?

Algoma56 likes this.
  28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I was doing 20" thru 27" bicycle wheels at 14 years old with out any education on how. I just studied the pattern and used a single screw driver fixed with a clamp and block as a pointer for truing with only one end of the axle in a bench vise.

29. Yes, no different than a bike wheel. I would have to rig up a fixture.
    I started lacing and trueing wheels before I was old enough to ride legally.

30. 55styleliner

55styleliner

I've got 2 really nice ones and need 2 more or I need to sell the 2 I've got. Let me know if you are interested in selling or buying 2.